Topic of the day7/10: If you could change one NFL rule

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having to kick for the extra point. that was easy. just make a TD 7 and be done with it

Yup. That's what they were going to do and then they somehow reverse field and make the kicker even more important!

I hate the "break the plane" of the goal line rule for a TD.

There are many plays where it almost becomes impossible to defend.

You get the big pile up on the goal line, the ball carrier jumps up in the air, sticks his arms out over the goal line, is met by 3 or 4 defenders...and he ends up lying on the 3 yard line.

TD!

bull ****.

Much like wars in ancient times, there should be an option for two coaches to settle the affair in a fight to the death (or TKO, for all you PC kitties worried about hangnails, concussions and CTE/dementia) rather than play the game.

Successful challenges should not count against your limit. You should get 3 per game, but a successful one doesn't count as 1 of them.

:thumbsup:

Much like wars in ancient times, there should be an option for two coaches to settle the affair in a fight to the death (or TKO, for all you PC kitties worried about hangnails, concussions and CTE/dementia) rather than play the game.

another excellent idea is to allow beer sales after half time.

That would be good.

Quite a few people have suggested that PI calls should be challengeable, and some have even suggested that ALL calls should be challengeable. Then, by extension, should non-calls also be challengeable? Should a coach have the right to challenge the refs when a flag hasn't been thrown?

I recall a similar debate in one of these threads a season, or two ago, when someone made the point that refs should be replaced with robots. Certainly, the technology exists, and inaccurate calls would become a thing of the past. Frankly, I'm not down with that. I know that erroneous calls can be frustrating, and it often raises the specter of conspiracy (Patriots*, e.g.). But, personally, I don't want the NFL to lose any more of its humanity. I don't mind the human element. If there are any rule changes to be made, I think they should be aimed at simplifying the game.

I hate the "break the plane" of the goal line rule for a TD.

There are many plays where it almost becomes impossible to defend.

You get the big pile up on the goal line, the ball carrier jumps up in the air, sticks his arms out over the goal line, is met by 3 or 4 defenders...and he ends up lying on the 3 yard line.

TD!

bull ****.

Where the ball makes it is where it's spotted in the field of play. Would you want first downs not to count if the ball crosses the line to gain?

If you could change one rule in the NFL to improve the game what would it be and why?

No field goals or extra points; a TD would be 7 points and the 20 yrd line would be the 3 point line, get 4 more points if you make it into the endzone.

Why; would add more excitement to the game by going for 4rth down conversions more often and the need for kickers. The Punter has to kickoff leaving open a roster spot for a football player or two.

everyone does roids

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Successful challenges should not count against your limit. You should get 3 per game, but a successful one doesn't count as 1 of them.

I'm OK with 2, but it makes no sense that even if you are right, they take one away from you. That is not fair at all. If the ref is wrong 3 times, and you corrected it twice, why should you have to eat it on the third one? (Or however many you want to make the limit)

I'd like to see the NFL write up a common sense catch rules.

Sandlot players have a better grasp of a completion and incompletion than the NFL does.

I'd actually like to see a catch ruled legal with one foot in bounds (or make 2 feet count in NCAA). That inconsistency seems to be unnecessary.

I think a similar and possibly better way would be to say that you can challenge as long as you have timeouts left to take in case they rule against you, and as now, you aren't charged a timeout if you're right and you can't challenge if you don't have any TOs left.