Is 2 Seasons Enough ?

Rex = loud mouth Dick Jauron

DJ was a reliable 7-9. had less to work with and had complete OBD dysfunction to contend with.IMO he is a better coach

And that isn't saying much.

With Rex you have zero idea what you are getting. Unless the Ryan bros. silly chest thumping is now measured somehow.

His assinine statement about the #4 defense will be #1 with him says it all. The justfiable slam on Mario

For quitting should have been handled by week 8 with either benching or cutting him. Winning teams do not put up with that stuff. Playing him cost the team wins.

That is on Rex. The defense should not be blamed on 94 alone. yet it is for the most part. And of course P. Brown going under the bus.

Injury's? Well every team gets them have a backup plan. If Tyrod goes down for any longer than game or two this upcoming season is over. Cutting Leodis was dumb. It may bite them.

After he was hired. What Ryan maybe could have said Was. I run a different scheme and we may hit some bumps along the way.

But no he s**t the bed and refused to take ownership. Keep him 5+ years but he will never end a season in Buffalo

With a trophy and a parade. Good coaches routinely out coach him. And taking the Bills to the playoffs if that happens

You will see that. rex could go 11-5 or 6-10 neither would surprise me.

GO TYROD!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much that 2 years is too long. I don't think it is and I think under normal circumstances two years is an unfair period under which to judge a coach.

With Rex though, he does it too himself. He came in and on day one mocked our #4 defensive ranking from the previous year and said we'd be #1. Bravado is one thing, but mocking a #4 ranking is something that puts pressure on him to get the job done. He did not. And that shouldn't be any surprise because his defense has not produced good results in over half of a decade. That is an eternity in a fast moving sports league like the NFL.

The way I look at it, and it is perhaps unfair, Rex is in year 7, not year 1. His complaint in NY was "not enough talent". The Bills do not have that problem. Now produce. If he doesn't it is because of lack of discipline, blah, blah, blah which does frustrate me but I think the root cause is the antiquated scheme.

I would not pin the decision to a specific record. i could envision a 6-10 season with weird circumstances where I think Rex should be back. I do agree that 10+ wins and he stays, even if they are all lucky wins. It is the 7-9 - 9-7 with wasted opportunities to do better that are holding us back that frustrate me and make me think he should go. You know, if we look like we looked in 2015 where the offense was viable and the defense that Rex broke cost us a season. That would make me think it is time.

+1

Let's be honest. The biggest reason we have been out of the playoffs for so long is because of Brady*, BB*, and the Patriots*. For the past decade and a half we have been fighting for a wildcard spot. And, that is what we're fighting for this year. Coaches in our division have a higher bar to jump.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Why? In the 5 years before Marvin Lewis, the Bengals won a total of 19 games. The Bills won 15 games in the 2 years before Rex. The defense went from leading the league in sacks to finishing 2nd last. In 6 seasons, he won double digit wins once. He is the midst of 5 seasons of non-winning records. If anything, his first 2 seasons look like the flukes of his coaching career.

Why would you give a below average coach a long leash? This was about as talented a roster as there was when Rex was hired. I really liked the hire at the time. But maybe, Rex is better at talking than coaching. I would fire him if we do not have a winning record. I think there are plenty of coaches who can do a lot more with our talent than he did last year. He is a more talkative Dick Jauron at this point and I'd argue Jauron got more out of his talent than Rex did last year.

First, both our offensive and defensive schemes are complex, and take time for the players to settle into. The offense improved from years previous, but due to a multitude of factors the defense regressed. Fortunately, defense is what Rex is known for.

Second, of the 12 playoff teams last year, the average tenure of the HC was 6.33 years and the median was 5 years. 3 second year coaches made the playoffs, but 2 of those 3 teams were in divisions that had no other teams with a winning record (HOU & WAS). If NE has taught us anything this millennium it is that consistency at HC and QB, combined with an established scheme, trumps talent.

You also bring up his W/L record prior to being hired as if it has any bearing on his current tenure. Lot of factors go into W/L including Coaching, GM, Roster, QB, etc. Rex's record in his time with the Jets was 46-50 (0.479), and in his first year with the Bills their record was 8-8. Belichick's HC record prior to joining the Pats* was 36-44 (0.450) and in his first year with the Pats* their record was 5-11. Am I saying we're going to go 11-5 and win the Super Bowl behind our 6th round QB in year 2 because Rex is Belichick? No, of course not, but I also doubt you would have been looking to run Belichick out of town in his second year. Let's just see how things play out and see if the schemes continue to settle in and expand.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

First, both our offensive and defensive schemes are complex, and take time for the players to settle into. The offense improved from years previous, but due to a multitude of factors the defense regressed. Fortunately, defense is what Rex is known for.

Second, of the 12 playoff teams last year, the average tenure of the HC was 6.33 years and the median was 5 years. 3 second year coaches made the playoffs, but 2 of those 3 teams were in divisions that had no other teams with a winning record (HOU & WAS). If NE has taught us anything this millennium it is that consistency at HC and QB, combined with an established scheme, trumps talent.

You also bring up his W/L record prior to being hired as if it has any bearing on his current tenure. Lot of factors go into W/L including Coaching, GM, Roster, QB, etc. Rex's record in his time with the Jets was 46-50 (0.479), and in his first year with the Bills their record was 8-8. Belichick's HC record prior to joining the Pats* was 36-44 (0.450) and in his first year with the Pats* their record was 5-11. Am I saying we're going to go 11-5 and win the Super Bowl behind our 6th round QB in year 2 because Rex is Belichick? No, of course not, but I also doubt you would have been looking to run Belichick out of town in his second year. Let's just see how things play out and see if the schemes continue to settle in and expand.

:thumbsup:

If NE has taught us anything this millennium it is that consistency at HC and QB, combined with an established scheme, trumps talent.

If NE has taught us anything this millennium it's that winning leads to consistency at HC and QB.

Let's not confuse ourselves into thinking the fact they have stayed there is the reason they have succeeded. Brady and beli had 1 losing season together. 1. 1 season in which they were worse than 9-7.

They've succeeded because they are elite at their jobs. They have kept their jobs by being elite.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Decent points but a few things here:

1) I'm am normally one of the most patient posters in terms of coaching. I was probably the last person on the planet that was willing to forgive Jauron.

I judge coaching by what you do with the talent. IMO, we had a top 10 roster in the NFL. I would argue with guys like Jauron and Gailey, we had bottom 5 rosters. Winning 6-7 games with bottom 5 talent is much more impressive than 8 games with a top 10 roster.

2) good coaches adjust and reflect. Rex Ryan seems to make no adjustments. He's the same loud mouth guy as he was with the Jets. His teams are undisplinced and seem to not get held accountable.

3) Great coaches make the players work and adjust their "scheme."

4) do I think another coach could have done a better job than Rex last year? Absolutely. The Bills are no longer a wasteland. We need to stop settling for coaching.

I'm fine with giving him this year. But anything less than the playoffs is grounds to be fired. We wasted the Best Bills team in 15 years and Rex was a huge reason why. We can do better.

And like always, I would love for Rex to be coach of the year.

Probably not. There are things a coach can do that warrant firing in 2 years - or even less. If a coach loses the lockerroom or shows himself to be incapable of doing the job, then that coach has to go. In those cases, the sooner the better. Rex probably won't do either so I expect him to be here in 2017. If he does lose the team or the team implodes and has a horrible season, then he has to go. I can even think of scenarios where he stays after a horrible season.

1) I'm am normally one of the most patient posters in terms of coaching. I was probably the last person on the planet that was willing to forgive Jauron.

I judge coaching by what you do with the talent. IMO, we had a top 10 roster in the NFL. I would argue with guys like Jauron and Gailey, we had bottom 5 rosters. Winning 6-7 games with bottom 5 talent is much more impressive than 8 games with a top 10 roster.

2) good coaches adjust and reflect. Rex Ryan seems to make no adjustments. He's the same loud mouth guy as he was with the Jets. His teams are undisplinced and seem to not get held accountable.

4) do I think another coach could have done a better job than Rex last year? Absolutely. The Bills are no longer a wasteland. We need to stop settling for coaching.

I'm fine with giving him this year. But anything less than the playoffs is grounds to be fired. We wasted the Best Bills team in 15 years and Rex was a huge reason why. We can do better.

I get where you're coming from, and I definitely don't think Rex is the best coach in the NFL. I do think he's good enough to warrant 4-5 years though. I'm just tired of the constant turnover. Last year this board was so sick of the offense going 3 and out, well our coaches are 2.5 and out and that's even worse imo.

What HC was available that could have come in and done better?

I get where you're coming from, and I definitely don't think Rex is the best coach in the NFL. I do think he's good enough to warrant 4-5 years though. I'm just tired of the constant turnover. Last year this board was so sick of the offense going 3 and out, well our coaches are 2.5 and out and that's even worse imo.

The flip side is we were really patient with Jauron and Gailey. Where did that get us?

I think we have a very talented roster and it is getting wasted. Right now looking at Rex's career, his first 2 seasons look like the fluke. He might not just be a good head coach.

What HC was available that could have come in and done better?

Obviously, we will never know for sure. I think Marrone is an awful coach but he won 9 games because he stayed out of the defense's way.

I honestly think any offensive guy we hired who kept Schwartz would have been as successful if not more than Rex. I love David Shaw of Stanford. I think Hue Jackson has a chance to be a good coach. Hell, I think Adam Gase might be a decent hire.

Again, I was on board with Rex. I might even be on board if he showed signs of learning. But he is that guy who will brag even if he goes 0-16.

I didn't like the Rex hire. I don't like Rex, but it's 3 years. Unless there is some seriously great candidate like Harbaugh decides to come back to the NFL, I don't think there's much to gain by starting over after 2 years.

The flip side is we were really patient with Jauron and Gailey. Where did that get us?

I think we have a very talented roster and it is getting wasted. Right now looking at Rex's career, his first 2 seasons look like the fluke. He might not just be a good head coach.

Obviously, we will never know for sure. I think Marrone is an awful coach but he won 9 games because he stayed out of the defense's way.

I honestly think any offensive guy we hired who kept Schwartz would have been as successful if not more than Rex. I love David Shaw of Stanford. I think Hue Jackson has a chance to be a good coach. Hell, I think Adam Gase might be a decent hire.

Again, I was on board with Rex. I might even be on board if he showed signs of learning. But he is that guy who will brag even if he goes 0-16.

IMO I don't think schwartz stayed unless he was HC.

Rex = loud mouth Dick Jauron

Yes and I have alluded to this in other posts. Neither Ryan nor Jauron is defensively aggressive. I can't believe I am even typing this but I think I would actually prefer having Jauron. The Bills were an undisciplined mess last season.

People can display every color coded chart on earth but it was painful to watch this team. They were sub-par AND had lots of talent. I for one have lots of faith in Tyrod.

I think Rex will be fired approx. halfway through the season. Hey, I hope to be wrong. Maybe Rex will coach this team to the playoffs. I wish I was able to even see this as possible.