Best one hit wonder?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baja Men, Who Let The Dogs Out.

Changed my mind: Tommy Tutone, 867-5309.

(Side note: the "Jenny Hack": if you're ever in any kind of store and don't have a bonus card to swipe, try entering the store's area code + 867-5309. It usually works.)

Edited by DC Tom

with a female vocal and an acoustic arrangement that far outstrips the original one hit wonder.

There's also a DCTommyTutone cover on the same album; sort of pedestrian but pretty unique.

While I would hardly call tears for fears a one hit wonder band it is amazing to hear the same song sound so different.

So many...

Smart ass answer is stairway to heaven.

Kind of hard to imagine it isn't from the 70s. That era was loaded with em and stood the test of time. Technically, Layla is a one hit wonder but that feels like cheating. Take a walk on the wild side is another...

Depending on how you define "hit"... Baker Street is my choice although Gerry Rafferty did have some songs that reached the charts. Baker Street is just an amazing song with a great story.

If you are an 80s guy, Tainted Love is the choice.

But, being of a certain age "My Sharona" was the first song that popped into my head.

Depending on how you define "hit"... Baker Street is my choice although Gerry Rafferty did have some songs that reached the charts. Baker Street is just an amazing song with a great story.

Excellent choice. Another from the same era that I'd include is Year of the Cat. Al Stewart had other songs, but none close to that.

Baker Street has always been one of my favorite songs. I've heard a lot of people lately talking about this song. Never realized it had such a big impact on sooooooo many people.

So many...

Smart ass answer is stairway to heaven.

Kind of hard to imagine it isn't from the 70s. That era was loaded with em and stood the test of time. Technically, Layla is a one hit wonder but that feels like cheating. Take a walk on the wild side is another...

If you are an 80s guy, Tainted Love is the choice.

But, being of a certain age "My Sharona" was the first song that popped into my head.

Baker Street has always been one of my favorite songs. I've heard a lot of people lately talking about this song. Never realized it had such a big impact on sooooooo many people.

Not many people realize that it is autobiographical. The song is about Gerry trying to extract himself from his previous band stealers wheel and it took three years of legal fighting to be able to write music again. He stayed with a friend on Baker Street and this was his attempt to capture that experience (along with his struggles with alcohol).

Are Rafferty and Derringer really one hit wonders if they were in bands that also had big hits (Stuck in the Middle and Hang on Sloopy)?

The answer is yes if you go by common definitions. However in my examples Baker Street would be excluded because he had other songs that charted, but Layla would be included. I think Layla would be a choice that misses the spirit of the question. Baker Street is so !@#$ing epic that nothing he did in any capacity compares to that hit.

Are Rafferty and Derringer really one hit wonders if they were in bands that also had big hits (Stuck in the Middle and Hang on Sloopy)?

And Derringer did the Hulk Hogan theme too. That right there is the stuff of legends.