The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

negative radio is the easiest radio to do- and this group isn't going to take one step in the other direction. Bring someone on who knows the Rex defense, how does this affect the defense. Who will fill his shoes etc. He playing a spot that sets the edge stand the tackle up and makes tackles. This isn't the 13 sacks a season spot

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there is the fourth type, the bloviator, who also knows something about football but comes up with obtuse arguments about people making predictions not actually knowing the future or starts arguing about whether Nixon or Agnew said something ?!

Reality = Rex has not had a Winning season since his second season with the Jets.

Supposition = If Gailey ran this offense last year he could have gotten equal production with a different scheme. Using this same suppositional thought process some of us thought Rex could at least be top ten in D- Ranking with the talent he inherited .

That, along with earlier stated concerns is why I don't think this team is better than 8-8.

Could they surprise us, yes. Would it disappoint me to be wrong , no. That isn't negativity, just an opinion.

Very well put!! My family held season tickets from 1960 through the 1990's and my first game was in 1966; death and jobs out of state forced us to give them up. Yes, I am a realist who has seen the good, bad, and ugly! That's how you get to reality, and yes I think this year is going into the tank like the last 16. I would love to be wrong, like the above post, not negativity just an opinion. There are more important things going on in my life and the world than football!

I've seen this same kind of stupid bull**t post repeatedly. It's absolute garbage. Post something positive and it goes ignored by the Kool Aid Krew. Then post something negative and s**t like the above gets spewed by them. Every single time. It doesn't matter how positive you've been in other posts or how correct you've been in your negative ones, The Kool Aid Krew will be there to bash you. Believe it or not, there's some realists out here just trying to see things as they are. If we see something good, we say it's good. If we see something bad, we say it's bad. Then we change our views based on new information - and here's the tricky part - without contorting the facts into what we want to believe or fear. I look at it as Living In The Real World. You should try it sometime.

I get all that. One of my major points was that those with unbridled optimism tend to throw the reasonable people in the middle in with those who have unbridled negativity (of which there are very few in number, if not posts).

My post was simply directed at those that bash everything Bills. There are many posters here who post on both sides. Metz lives is one I can think of as well as Kirby and NoSaint among others. Then there are those that I won't throw under the bus that post nothing but negativity. Those are the posters that bother me. Poster with a clear agenda such as cuz wrecks sux bother me they have made their point but refuse to move on.

Here is the thing though the other side is just as bad just less bothersome. If someone wants to post pie in the sky it isn't going to annoy anyone. It also doesn't add too much to the discussion but it is much less obnoxious.

I prefer to be an optimist because I get enjoyment from watching the team. It is the off season where every team has a chance. Am I getting concerned about Sammy's injuries? Yes I am. Am I concerned about Shaq's surgery? Not really as a few games will hopefully be a blip on his career and I would rather have it happen now rather than later. I enjoy engaging in discussion about the Bills but get annoyed with the everything is terrible crowd. Not everyone has to agree with me as that would make for boring discussion. However not everything the Bills do is terrible and the worst decision ever. The Bills are middle of the pack and have been for most of the 16 year drought. That tells me that they make some good and some bad decisions. That tells me that they both are not making the best moves in the league nor the worst.

As an aside, condescending "I'm so much smarter that everyone and your dumb for disagreeing with me" is another type of poster that annoys me. That said I don't and won't block anyone as everyone here shares the same passion, the Bills.

I can prooabbly be called as negative as any. Historically I've proven to be one of the most optimistic. Yet. This year I have cautious hope. Cautious hope that our offense can win us some games but paused excitement because I know our defense will not let us win when it matters. Should we reach the playoffs we will inevitably fail to win against a quality team able to exploit our lack of adaptation and ability to run a multi scheme system. We are a one dimensional defense right now that has shown no ability to improve upon the pass rush in 2016. We have eliminated the best player at getting to the QB, though not a factor in 2015. We have weakened our depth at CB. We have left our LB unit completely to pasture. Yes, Ragland is an improvement ... but who did we even have at MLB/JLB?

Being realistic and knowing our defense will be passed upon like crazy in the middle is not negative. Its knowing that TE's will put up career numbers. Its knowing that flankers and inside route running WR's and RB's - like Forte - will eat our ILB's alive.

Thisbisnt negative. I'm not an expert. But I could probably coach this team better than Rex Ryan. I think there are a dozen here who could. Just like Bill said, a bunch here could have drafted better than Whaley.

There are some brilliant football minds here. Maybe their takes aren't all that great but some really know their talent and some really know their x's and o's. I know my x's and o's.

I would run a 3-3 defense with a high FS and a box safety to spy the backfield, cover tight ends and man the middle in a cover 3 scheme with a nickel also playing man pressagainst any extra down ffield threats.

Cover 3, you watch. We won't use it. Rex doesn't k ow how to use it properly. He does hard zones outside. sets a deep 3 and let's the fs fall way too deep and the strong safety get lost.

If Rex wants his crap to worn he needs a cover 2. Something I've never seen him successfully run. Ever.

I have bolded some interesting parts of your discussion that are pertinent here.

Using words like "I Know" and "Inevitably" kind of drag down your post. Your entire post would be much better if you just changed it to "I think" because at this point you have no idea. You think that is what will happen but really have no idea.

This whole line "Being realistic and knowing our defense will be passed upon like crazy in the middle is not negative. Its knowing that TE's will put up career numbers. Its knowing that flankers and inside route running WR's and RB's - like Forte - will eat our ILB's alive."

is much more of the same. TE's will put up career numbers is so much hyperbole it makes my head spin. So are you saying that you are positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that every te that the Bills face will have a career best game? You say Forte will eat our ILB's alive and know it to be a fact. What if he starts to slow like everyone has put on McCoy who is younger? What if Ragland is the real deal? Again an I think would be so much better.

The piece de resistance though is this:

But I could probably coach this team better than Rex Ryan. I think there are a dozen here who could. Just like Bill said, a bunch here could have drafted better than Whaley.

you don't seriously believe this do you? Do you have any idea what it takes to be an NFL HC? Seriously this is just absolute nonsense. ooooh look you lay out a scheme, and know your x's and o's even! Let me guess you played in HS maybe even a low level college? That is a long way from matching wits with the best of the best. There are guys that have dedicated their lives to this, who I would imagine know x's and o's, that haven't succeeded at this but there are dozens on this message board that could succeed. If you truly believe this why are you not coaching in the NFL? Do you not want to make millions of dollars for something that is so easy dozens of internet posters could do?

I started following the team in 1972, when I was old enough to understand what pro football was. Even though those Bills never made the playoffs, they were fun to watch with OJ and the Electric Company. We then had a little fun in the '80s, finally beating the Fish with Chuck Knox and playoffs and Fergy's bum ankle. Then came Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough, which luckily produced Bruce Smith and the hiring of Marvcus Levy.

Thus began 15 years of competitive entertaining football, but Ralph couldn't leave well enough alone, creating the curse of Flutie which haunts us to this day. Two winning seasons and 6 coaches (2 who quit) in the last fifteen years, along with some of the worst football we've ever seen from the Bills. Getting pwned by the Cheats almost as badly as when we went 0 for the 70's against the Fish. It's hard to be even remotely positive in that environment. I'm getting tired of pulling the splinters out of my a$$ every time the bandwagon breaks down in November. If anyone out there is optimistic about this team, more power to ya. For now, I'm in the N3 club.

But I could probably coach this team better than Rex Ryan. I think there are a dozen here who could. Just like Bill said, a bunch here could have drafted better than Whaley.

you don't seriously believe this do you? Do you have any idea what it takes to be an NFL HC? Seriously this is just absolute nonsense.

I know this much. I and a lot of other posters on this board could definitely manage the game clock, timeouts, and replays better than Ryan. The head coach is supposed to organize and provide direction, you hire your assistants to do X's and O's. It's these idiot coaches who insist on calling plays instead of concentrating on their gameday job that are messed up. Rex singlehandedly lost the KC game because he didn't know when and when not to challenge. We clearly had problems with Tyrod Taylor getting plays on time, so we burned at least two TO's a game because we either didn't hustle to the line or Tyrod couldn't hear (my favorite was when he was in the middle of a 2-minute drill and made a motion to the sidelines that he couldn't hear the play, and apparently couldn't read one off his wrist strap). We lack basic game management, and Rex needs to get way better at it for us to succeed.

True and the text to speech perfectly reflects the monotony of the excuse making.

I saw one of our resident knuckleheads respond sarcastically to a list of Bills weaknesses yesterday with a "well how did we win EIGHT games then?"........as if oblivious to that fact also meaning that they also LOST eight games. :lol::doh:

And I'm not denying it, nor am I "still crying" -- I even congratulated the guy. That doesn't change my opinion.

Yeah because he shared the info so he could later be "congratulated" by some irrational hate spewing responder. :rolleyes:

Didn't you also make an ass of yourself in the thread where he informed us that Cordy Glenn had a kidney removed?........a year before that information came out?

Like it or not, this isn't your personal cheerleading forum and the rest of us actually appreciate inside information.

I used to get a lot more info like that here on this board but now I have to get it from the same people at the tailgates because nobody wants to deal with weirdos who attack them for sharing info.

It's a sin to bash the Bills. You're not a "real fan."

I've noticed that the chasm between the extremes is growing by the day.

Maybe 5% of this board can be characterized with your above statement.

Another 5% can be characterized by saying that because they haven't made the playoffs in 16 years, everything about the team is horrible.

The other 90% think that the constant efforts by the 10% mentioned above to jab the other extremists drags the quality of the discussion on this board down.

Another 5% can be characterized by saying that because they haven't made the playoffs in 16 years, everything about the team is horrible.

The other 90% think that the constant efforts by the 10% mentioned above to jab the other extremists drags the quality of the discussion on this board down.

It's sort of like the people who call in to talk radio with vociferous vacuous vitriol when the majority just aren't that angry.

It's sort of like the people who call in to talk radio with vociferous vacuous vitriol when the majority just aren't that angry.

You mean this is one big whiner line here?

GO BILLS!!!

You mean this is one big whiner line here?

GO BILLS!!!

Yep, but not w/o some legitimacy since the team has not been successful for such a long time. But the extremism as if everything is beyond terrible is what is not legit.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

BTW the past 16 years relates to next year because most of the players and coaches are the same as in recent, non-playoff seasons and there are questions about players buying in to the defense and you saw the uneven efforts/performances yourself last year........there were some FLAT performances.......so expecting those things to just go away because it is a new year is a bit unrealistic.

Didn't you also make an ass of yourself in the thread where he informed us that Cordy Glenn had a kidney removed?........a year before that information came out?

Yes, and last year eball was at the front of the line to rip a poster named Big K, who last August predicted EXACTLY was was going to happen--and why--to the Bills' defense in 2015 under Rex. You could look it up.

Yeah because he shared the info so he could later be "congratulated" by some irrational hate spewing responder. :rolleyes:

Like it or not, this isn't your personal cheerleading forum and the rest of us actually appreciate inside information.

I used to get a lot more info like that here on this board but now I have to get it from the same people at the tailgates because nobody wants to deal with weirdos who attack them for sharing info.

I was also in there hating on emoulds in the Cordy Glenn thread.....just didnt want to believe it.

This time when Emoulds dropped his E bomb......I just kept my mouth shut....whoever he is he obviously is connected in some way to the team

Yes, and last year eball was at the front of the line to rip a poster named Big K, who last August predicted EXACTLY was was going to happen--and why--to the Bills' defense in 2015 under Rex. You could look it up.

I dont view this as the same as the Emoulds drops.....who gives specific in the know information....

nobody....NOBODY could have predicted how inflexible Rex Ryans D schemes were actually going to be to last year's defense......I dont care what anyone says....I still feel that he just got lack of buy in and needed some players to leave so that he can bring his own brand of D to the team

Will it end up being as good as Schwartz D? I have to see it to believe it....but I think it will be better then last years

I dont view this as the same as the Emoulds drops.....who gives specific in the know information....

nobody....NOBODY could have predicted how inflexible Rex Ryans D schemes were actually going to be to last year's defense......I dont care what anyone says....I still feel that he just got lack of buy in and needed some players to leave so that he can bring his own brand of D to the team

You're right; not the same as Emoulds's inside tip on Shaq and Cordy, but go back and read BigK's post from August 2 last year. He forecast a big drop off on D due to Rex trying to jam a square peg into a round hole and lack of buy-in from the players, using Dareus as an example. He also predicted an improved offense.

FWIW, the guy also correctly predicted the Bills would use their first three draft picks on defense this year, in an effort to salvage Rex's wreck of a defense. (Actually, they used their first four picks on defense, including the 4th they traded to move up for RR.)

Edited by mannc

BTW the past 16 years relates to next year because most of the players and coaches are the same as in recent, non-playoff seasons and there are questions about players buying in to the defense and you saw the uneven efforts/performances yourself last year........there were some FLAT performances.......so expecting those things to just go away because it is a new year is a bit unrealistic.

I actually think that there's been a lot of turnover in coaches and players.

There's new ownership as well.

Hence my statement that the previous decade plus doesn't really have much to do with this one.

I could see someone arguing that the personnel dept is the link, since the current version with Whaley/Monos/Fisher has been in place since 2013.

Beyond that I don't see much continuity.

No question, however, that the inconsistent performances doomed them last year.

The next few days will be why I sometimes hate being a Bills fan-

The negative BS about to start spewing on this site and on WGR will be monumentally ugly-

Let the negativity begin!!!!

17 years of complete BS will do that to any person.

Anyone who is still an eternal optimist after the last 17 years isn't right int he head at all

every Bills fan has reason to B word and moan.. we've paid our dues and deserve the vent.

That being said I don't want the Bils to blow it up yet again and fire Whaley...

It seems as though the week the Bills have just had, with the Shaq Lawson shoulder surgery and revelation of Watkins' foot surgery, led to a highly emotional few days. We all read what followed. Thankfully things are starting to die down.

Fun hiding behind a keyboard, isn't it? Shame on you. Keep bloating your own ego.

Did the Bills use a first round pick on a player with a medical question mark? They certainly did. So what? The issue that plagued him was an issue that was correctable by surgery. I'm sure Whaley felt that Lawson could get through the season and then the shoulder issue could be addressed. It didn't work out that way. He had the surgery and he will miss a good portion of the season.

When you make a high draft selection, or any selection for that matter, the priority issue shouldn't be how good is he going to be in his rookie year. The more important issue is what is the player's potential and how good is he going to be for you in the long run. Most draft analysts had Lawson pegged in the top ten range. If he turns out to be a good player a little later rather than sooner then it was not only a good selection but it was also smart selection in that we selected a player ranked higher than where he was selected.

Did the Bills use a first round pick on a player with a medical question mark? They certainly did. So what? The issue that plagued him was an issue that was correctable by surgery. I'm sure Whaley felt that Lawson could get through the season and then the shoulder issue could be addressed. It didn't work out that way. He had the surgery and he will miss a good portion of the season.

When you make a high draft selection, or any selection for that matter, the priority issue shouldn't be how good is he going to be in his rookie year. The more important issue is what is the player's potential and how good is he going to be for you in the long run. Most draft analysts had Lawson pegged in the top ten range. If he turns out to be a good player a little later rather than sooner then it was not only a good selection but it was also smart selection in that we selected a player ranked higher than where he was selected.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

It really is that simple.

Perfect way to look at the situation with a rational long view perspective. clap.gif

It really is that simple.

To put things in perspective all rookies have a development period before their level of proficiency is adequate enough to play on a regular basis. There is nothing unusual about that delayed time frame. Although Lawson is rehabbing from the surgery that doesn't mean that won't also be working on his game. It's simply part of the developmental rookie process.

On the Rex issue I will robustly get in the fray. But on the Lawson issue I just don't understand the commotion. In a lot of ways he getting the surgery now is a good thing because he is getting that health issue addressed sooner rather than later. As I said before taking a calculated risk on a talent is not a bad thing.

Those were supposed to be hands clapping in agreement.

I thought they were hands that were going to slap me in my unattractive face! :D

But but but but but but but but but but 16 YEARS

I've seen this line of thought and I've seen it lauded, but it's got a big problem. Injury and significant risk of a prospect missing time affect that prospect's value. That's the reason Jack and Smith, both more highly rated prospects than Lawson, fell to the second round. I used the words "delighted" and "ecstatic" when the Bills got Lawson at 19, but I would have wanted them to pass on him at that spot had I known about his injury. Lawson will miss all of training camp (except meetings and film), all of preseason and some of the regular season with this injury. What, exactly, should be expected of him when he gets back to practice sometime in October or November? He's going to need time to work himself into playing shape and learn. At this point I expect very little from him this season and, quite frankly, I'd be happy to see the Bills err on the side of caution and bring him along too slowly rather than too quickly.

In time he may very well be the player I expected him to be for the Bills - and I really, really hope that happens. But that doesn't mean the Bills should have used pick 19 on him. This season will not be productive for him due to this injury. One season is 25% of his relatively low wage rookie contract. For the Bills to take that risk is unacceptable. That's not on Lawson, it's on whomever made the decision to draft him at 19. And, believe it or not, I can root for Lawson to be a great player for the Bills and be happy if he becomes that, yet be critical of the team drafting an injured player 19th overall.