Tight End position. Should we be worried?

When it comes to the Bills offense, many posters here have a lot of concern with the Bills O-Line, particularly the situation at RG & RT. Which is understandable.

However, my biggest concern is at Tight End.

I don't have an issue with Charles Clay. In fact I am hoping that he becomes a much bigger weapon for us this season, and there is no reason why he shouldn't be.

After Clay, we have Jim Dray, Nick O'Leary & Chris Gragg. Not a lot to get excited about.

Dray is a veteran, and seems adequate. But is he just another Matthew Mulligan?

O'Leary has potential, but has he done enough to take that big leap this year?

Meanwhile it looks like Gragg has found his home on Special Teams.

I know that we can't have super stars at every position. I just think that this could be an area of trouble for us.

Especially if, God forbid, Clay gets injured.

I remember vividly from last year during the Eagles game, Clay got injured in the first half, and things went really down hill at the position after that. The Bills were using Jerome Felton as a TE in that game.

Should we be concerned about our Tight Ends this season?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I remember what i watched correctly, Jim Dray isn't a Lee Smith-bad pass catcher. He is a bit faster and a very underrated addition to the team. Willing to bet he will see a ton of playing time this year. If Clay goes down, I don't feel as bad.

Really hoping training camp is the last chance for Chris Gragg, he has had years on the team to develop and hasn't really improved. Time to get another receiving tight end prospect developing. Was keeping an eye on Vannett in the draft this year, but can't complain about not spending a pick.

Braxton Deaver a UDFA from Duke, had a good tryout with the Panthers. Wonder if the Bills come around sniffing during camp.

Overall, think the situation is improved a little bit over last year. Don't sleep on ClayDray. More concerned over sammy getting hurt.

I think Greg Roman's strength is his ability to use talent. That being said, if Clay went down, there are plenty of other play makers I could see him trying to game plan towards. Clay's abilities may not be replaceable by a single player on our roster, however I feel confident in that G-ro could utilize multiple skill sets to get similar results. Less efficient, more predictable but not a concern IMO

When it comes to the Bills offense, many posters here have a lot of concern with the Bills O-Line, particularly the situation at RG & RT. Which is understandable.

I don't have an issue with Charles Clay. In fact I am hoping that he becomes a much bigger weapon for us this season, and there is no reason why he shouldn't be.

After Clay, we have Jim Dray, Nick O'Leary & Chris Gragg. Not a lot to get excited about.

I know that we can't have super stars at every position. I just think that this could be an area of trouble for us.

I remember vividly from last year during the Eagles game, Clay got injured in the first half, and things went really down hill at the position after that. The Bills were using Jerome Felton as a TE in that game.

yes.

The team overall is very thin on offense outside of RB. The team depth wise is pretty thin which is a huge concern as even the best team in the league injury wise still get some players banged up. Hopefully some of the more lesser known players on the roster and some of the low key "depth" signings are as good as we think. Dray isn't very inspiring as a starter if Clay gets hurt, he is a solid backup, good blocker who can make the obvious plays receiving. Kind of shocked the team didn't bring back Scott Chandler, seems like he could be had on the cheap and could actually prove to be an effective supplemental weapon and could add depth.

Edit: Just looked it up Chandler suffered a serious knee injury that will knock him out for 2016 and likely for his career. Sad always liked him when he was here.

Edited by billsfan89

The team overall is very thin on offense outside of RB. The team depth wise is pretty thin which is a huge concern as even the best team in the league injury wise still get some players banged up. Hopefully some of the more lesser known players on the roster and some of the low key "depth" signings are as good as we think. Dray isn't very inspiring as a starter if Clay gets hurt, he is a solid backup, good blocker who can make the obvious plays receiving. Kind of shocked the team didn't bring back Scott Chandler, seems like he could be had on the cheap and could actually prove to be an effective supplemental weapon and could add depth.

Edit: Just looked it up Chandler suffered a serious knee injury that will knock him out for 2016 and likely for his career. Sad always liked him when he was here.

If I remember correctly, Chandler has some knee issues that may end his career.

Another position the Bills have avoided in the draft like the plague. I think the last one they took in the 1st-3rd rounds was Kevin Everett in 2005.

This as so many teams have focused on finding guys who can stretch the field and present matchup nightmares. But the Bills know better than conventional wisdom.

I was really sorry to see MarQueis Gray released, and subsequently taken by Miami. I know he did next to nothing last season, having broken his arm, but I thought he had a lot of potential-- football smarts, athletic, versatile, and prototypical size for the position. I guess we'll se how he does in Miami...

If I remember correctly, Chandler has some knee issues that may end his career.

I always felt that Chandler played like he was afraid of getting hurt.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Another position the Bills have avoided in the draft like the plague. I think the last one they took in the 1st-3rd rounds was Kevin Everett in 2005.

This as so many teams have focused on finding guys who can stretch the field and present matchup nightmares. But the Bills know better than conventional wisdom.

Chandler set some Bills TE records, because the position HAS been neglected. Clay was THAT guy. and still is.

Dray offers a different but needed skillset, should be a good fit though!

I think they add another after cutdowns.

O Leary needs to really come on to be of value

I was really sorry to see MarQueis Gray released, and subsequently taken by Miami. I know he did next to nothing last season, having broken his arm, but I thought he had a lot of potential-- football smarts, athletic, versatile, and prototypical size for the position. I guess we'll se how he does in Miami...

I always felt that Chandler played like he was afraid of getting hurt.

but his health over the last couple years??

Gragg is fast, but it's more straight line speed. He hasn't shown much in his 3 years. By bringing O'Leary on the 53 man last year they must like his development and potential. Gronk Jr is the wild card. Clay needs to stay healthy.

O'Leary better step up this year, and little Gronk is likely to switch to TE. He's not needed at FB.

He would effectively play both positions. With a good camp, he could become the Bruce Miller in Roman's offense and we can drop Felton for $aving$.

I'd sat RT is still a bigger concern but TE isn't great either, maybe we will address offense next draft.

He would effectively play both positions. With a good camp, he could become the Bruce Miller in Roman's offense and we can drop Felton for $aving$.

Hopefully, but he better rock up because Miller is a strength monster.

The Patsies LOVE their 2 TE sets, and they've got two of the most effective in the game in Bennett, and Gronk... This could be bad... Even with Brady gone for four games... For better or worse the TE's we have on our roster just aren't that effective... Clay and all...

Edited by #34fan

Well if I remember what i watched correctly, Jim Dray isn't a Lee Smith-bad pass catcher. He is a bit faster and a very underrated addition to the team. Willing to bet he will see a ton of playing time this year. If Clay goes down, I don't feel as bad.

Really hoping training camp is the last chance for Chris Gragg, he has had years on the team to develop and hasn't really improved. Time to get another receiving tight end prospect developing. Was keeping an eye on Vannett in the draft this year, but can't complain about not spending a pick.

Braxton Deaver a UDFA from Duke, had a good tryout with the Panthers. Wonder if the Bills come around sniffing during camp.

Overall, think the situation is improved a little bit over last year. Don't sleep on ClayDray. More concerned over sammy getting hurt.

I'm from Cleveland and live in Buffalo so I root for both the Browns and Bills. I've seen Dray play for the Browns. He's serviceable, but that's pretty much it. The OP is correct. The TE position is very, very thin after Clay and it is something to be worried about - especially since the WR corps is so thin after Watkins and Woods. I'm not sure who the 4th WR/TE option is after those three. And what percentage of time do you want a FB on the field where you wouldn't need one? There's got to be someone else you can depend on and I don't know who that's going to be. I'm not even getting into the situation the Bills would be in if, God forbid, one of Watkins/Woods/Clay were to down with injury. I'm really hoping they get some help somehow, someway before the season starts.