RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham 12m12 minutes ago

Cowboys called Bills to trade into No. 19 and draft Paxton Lynch, but offer wasn't good enough.

to trade out of the first we would have needed a lot, plus next yrs first (although with the Defensive depth this yr may have been worth it)

Knowing who dropped, I would have loved the extra picks and be picking 4th in round 2. We could've got our NT and LB

probably still will, can get a NT latter as it is fading like the old thumper MLBs, sadly this is not our fathers NFL.

Great pick. Dave D. called him the funniest man in the draft. He's gonna be great to have in the locker room and on the field.

Another core young player to go along with Sammy, Tyrod, etc.

I stated earlier this year that he's the next Dwight Freeney. I think he's that good and could be monstrous in this defense.

I'm excited for Shaq.

He's had it since his freshman year. He didn't even know about it, it hasn't bothered him.

It's not an issue.

wonder why they even want to bother with surgery if it doesn't bother him. I know I wouldn't let them touch my shoulders.

Great pick. Dave D. called him the funniest man in the draft. He's gonna be great to have in the locker room and on the field.

Another core young player to go along with Sammy, Tyrod, etc.

I stated earlier this year that he's the next Dwight Freeney. I think he's that good and could be monstrous in this defense.

I'm excited for Shaq.

Hell yeah, loved Freeney, this gets me more excited about him.

Limited athleticism. Not a pass rusher. Locker room leader but a JAG athlete. The Rex connection kills me. I'm depressed.

I'll take a power guy over a speed guy any day, like having a little Reggie White.

mario had to lay down and take a nap after watching that play

and get a drink from the mini-fridge

3rd what up?

No but... I can still bench 335 and curl 185 for reps and workout about 18 hours a week. Also up to about 6 years ago I had a job in which I lifted about 200-300 sheets of 48" x 144" .125 Aluminum sheets above my head a day(which weigh about 95 LBS a piece).

18 hrs a week?! that's a ton of working out, why so much?

I work out twice a week 2hrs a piece. (squat 645 bench 425 Dead 625, just sayin B-) )

wonder why they even want to bother with surgery if it doesn't bother him. I know I wouldn't let them touch my shoulders.

You know the older we get, the more random pains start popping up.

Getting the surgery now (next offseason) is all about longevity in the league. Nip it in the bud. When he's 28 years old, it'll be too late.

He needs shoulder surgery that will require 4-6 months of rehab once done.... Oh but it can wait until AFTER the season.

Does that make any sense?

BPA, probably. By a lot over a position of need? No. As of right now, we aren't any better on paper than we were last year. We have no one at LB and the very next pick was a quality LB. With Kyle, Dareus, and Hughes, we should be able to plug in a 3rd/4th round DE and let them get a decent rush. I would even argue that WR was a bigger need.

Your first pick should be a diffference maker at a position of need. This wasn't it for me. Great player. Good kid. BPA. We had great talent last year and Rex !@#$ed that up. Just can't get excited about this like so many others.

I'm convinced some people on this board are incapable of happiness. I don't think I've ever seen either of you post a comment that didn't seem either intended to troll someone or just whine in general.

Shaq said he does not need surgery at all.

I think "need" is a relative term here. It sounds like it should happen but he may generally be able to play without it for the short to mid term.

Reading between the lines it seems less of an "if" and more of a "when" with little rush

Losers:

Offensive coordinators under Rex Ryan: This is the seventh straight year a Ryan-coached team has taken a defensive player in the first round. Rex gets what Rex wants.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000657483/article/winner-and-losers-broncos-nab-lynch-while-tunsil-falls

He would have had at least one

tackle.0.gif

dual threat on short yardage....

he broke two tackles and picked up 4 yards after contact.

Was that from the same game that Gruden said Stanley owned Lawson all day long?

strangely this footage is impossible to find. but you can find both players against about everyone else.

this is all i could find.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/2016-nfl-draft-ronnie-stanley-vs-shaq-lawson

Seriously?

Seek, and ye shall find:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/shaq-lawson-vs-notre-dame-2015/

The guy oozes all over nobodies then he cherry picks a game where Shaq went up against the #6 overall pick...

Forget the 12.5 sacks and leading the nation in total tackles for loss...

He must have been pissed we did not reach for one of his pet QB's...

I'm not saying one or the other is right, but here's a write up on the Lawson/Stanley matchup:

"Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson, RJr. (6-3, 275, 4.67, #90)

In the biggest game of the weekend, Lawson stepped up and had one of the best performances of his career against Notre Dame, which is even more impressive considering he faced future first round left tackle Ronnie Stanley most of the night. Lawson finished the game with seven tackles, including 3.5 of those stops for loss, beating Stanley with quickness and power. He has quick, strong hands to create push with his upper body strength, showing the fluid lower body to drive his legs and smoothly change directions based on his reads. Lawson plays decisive and disciplined to hold the edge and not abandon his responsibilities, something that was evident against the Irishs athletic backfield. And scouts were definitely watching: this #90 is a difference-maker! That was a text I received during the game from an AFC scout who wasnt at the game, but was watching while on the road. Lawson is a power player with the lower body athleticism to be equally dominant against the run and the pass, putting his draft value in the early rounds if he chooses to declare." http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25328905/stock-report-shaq-lawson-a-difference-maker-says-nfl-scout

I watched a bunch of the highlights too. There are concerns about how he faced Stanley, but the two of them went back and forth all night from what I watched. I saw multiple tackles in the backfield, and a lot of coaching just to stop him. Good edge holder.

He looks like he's Manny's replacement (and upgrade), especially if we are running more of the front that Pettine used.

I don't know the first thing about college players, but I'm happy. I wanted our first two picks to be one pass rushing Mario replacement, and one starting caliber inside linebacker. Hopefully round 2 we get a stud linebacker... then I'm wanting depth at DT, OG, OT, WR.... best player available.