Knock On Ragland? Not Too Bright

H2o

There is a difference between being athletic and understanding man/ zone coverage. There are plenty of good athletes who are terrible in coverage.

Good point. I wasn't looking at it from the mental aspect.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may not be smart enough to play in this defense.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-linebackers-b99704579z1-377020691.html

Not everyone takes tests well. Doesn't mean they are not smart. Doing well on tests also doesn't make one intelligent. A lot of gray areas between doing poorly and doing well on an administered test; especially something like the wonderlic.

slow brains

When it comes to Ragland

I am torn between what I actually saw....which was getting pulled from a championship game because he could not cover

and

all kinds of people saying he is a under rated cover guy

which is it?

dude can't cover, old school thumper not good for todays NFL

It still amazes me how many fans fight against the idea of testing/using test results -- I don't think I've ever seen someone say the wonderlic is an end all be all. But neither is a 4.4 vs 4.5 forty, 18 vs 22 bench reps... or a 17 vs 22 wonderlic. It's all part of creating the well rounded picture of a prospect and learning another piece about him.

If a guys score is terribly abnormal I want to know why and whether it'll effect me if I'm a GM though.

The testing is arbitrary. Test them on something relevant that pertains to the game they play. See how well they do then.

Look at what he did at Bama, it basically took him a few years to learn the system there before he could get on the field as a LB. I'm sure he will be fine in the NFL, but expecting him to be day one MLB barking out the calls sounds like a stretch. This to me is a reason why you don't draft him in the first, when you couple it with the coverage question.

The testing is arbitrary. Test them on something relevant that pertains to the game they play. See how well they do then.

coaches do talk to their coaches about processing information, they do put guys on the whiteboard to see how they breakdown plays.... and for 12 minutes, they ask them to process a test. things like literacy, processing information, and whether they care enough to prep for it all pertain to a player. again, its just another data point.

Hmmm, I recall a hell of a lot of posters on this board fighting the hell out of me in the LB thread when I stated that Ragland was a two down thumper in the NFL and wouldn't go where he was projected(mid teens at the time). I stated this over and over again that this type of guy struggles to play in this era of the NFL. That's why guys like Darron Lee(who I was extremely high on) go in the first round because he can play 3 downs while Ragland waits to find himself a new home. I'd venture that Ragland might be available at 49, but I still don't want the Bills to pick him

Hmmm, I recall a hell of a lot of posters on this board fighting the hell out of me in the LB thread when I stated that Ragland was a two down thumper in the NFL and wouldn't go where he was projected(mid teens at the time). I stated this over and over again that this type of guy struggles to play in this era of the NFL. That's why guys like Darron Lee(who I was extremely high on) go in the first round because he can play 3 downs while Ragland waits to find himself a new home. I'd venture that Ragland might be available at 49, but I still don't want the Bills to pick him

Want a cookie?

Yup. Teams always make the right picks. :thumbsup:

I'm glad the Jets picked Lee. The Bills will run right through him.

He diagnoses plays really fast. He's articulate in his interviews. He's a hard worker. I bet he'll learn the playbook.

Some people just don't test well. That's why schools/teachers try to diversify their assessments more and more these days.

Good post

I do actually, and weren't u bragging about getting the Bills pick right and why they call you Blockstradamus.

Clearly you don't understand sarcasm. I said Lawson was the 19th player on my board, which is little more than a happy coincidence.

Maybe let Reggie get drafted first, analyse the fit and depth chart before you crown yourself as overlord of the draft.

Then there's a question like this;

What is the mathematical average of the number of weeks in a year, days in a week, and the number of days in January?

For most people, that will take at least 30-60 seconds, and it's a timed test. Look up 50 question Wonderlic and take the test yourself. I'd say the 20's is smart, 30's is kicking butt, 40's is Harvard Fitz. 10-15 may not be the brightest bulb, but the Wonderlic is a lot harder than you think.

slow brains

dude can't cover, old school thumper not good for todays NFL

Slow brains had me laughing! :thumbsup::lol:

As for your second point I think the loss of Brandon Spikes was huge for the team last year. He improved the run d greatly and brought a nastiness that was certainly lacking last year. A thumper would help and has a place but that doesn't mean I want it to be a high draft pick. Ragland in the second would be tempting though.