Sam Bradford Wants Out of Philly; Crawls Back to Eagles

What I think may be more of an interesting debate is why teams still pay him a lot of money. I wonder if anyone has theorized that there may be some subconscious racial biases at play (eg, Freeman is a total bust, but Bradford (with identical stats) is not viewed as one?).

Nope. Bradford was a #1 pick and that makes each more desperate GM think they can get that value out of him.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles have the leverage. They are on the hook for at a minimum $11 mil, and another team could pick him up for the remaining $7 mil. Why let him go when they could use him to win games this year. Wants will probably be the starter in 2017. Bradford is under contract. The only thing he can do is hold out and when activities are mandatory, he starts losing money. The Eagles could go with Chase Daniels if they had to do so and prove to Bradford, you're not going anywhere.

The only way I see this happening is if the Jets, Broncos were to give high draft picks for him. Why? As someone said, he's proven to be brittle with the knees. That would be a colossally stupid decision.

So Sammy, get used to the cheese steaks because Condon can get on all of the radio shows he wants, you have no leverage.

What I think may be more of an interesting debate is why teams still pay him a lot of money. I wonder if anyone has theorized that there may be some subconscious racial biases at play (eg, Freeman is a total bust, but Bradford (with identical stats) is not viewed as one?).

Id say desparation at the position Edited by truth on hold

Nope. Bradford was a #1 pick and that makes each more desperate GM think they can get that value out of him.

This.

Yup. He's got talent. I've seen him play live. At times you can't help but to think "Wow! Most QBs can't do that!" But he's such a tease. Always dinged, chronically injured. It's easy to think "But if we could just keep him healthy for a full season the sky would be the limit!" But I can't imagine he ever will be. Plus there's his pay. He was the last quarterback chosen number one overall the year before the rookie pay scale was implemented. He's made so much money that he won't play for anything but a big contract - and teams keep giving them to him. He's going to go down as the best paid, longest tenured, most talented quarterback that never did anything.

Edited by BarleyNY

That was with EJ as the returning QB and pre-Cassell & Tyrod. If rumors are to be believed Bills inquired about Bradford, but Rams wanted a QB in return and apparently wanted no part of EJ.

To be fair someone posts wanting every QB with a pulse at some point.

i would suspect that freemans attitude issues are at play. you know, last in the building, first out, injured his hand and lied about it, rumors of drugs, and generally not caring....

I just don't get Bradford's play here. Anywhere he goes, he's going to be "competing" for the starting job. He *will* be the starter for the Eagles. *If* he plays well then they will staple the rookie's ass to the bench. If he plays well two years in a row, they will resign him.

It seems like he doesn't want a guy behind pushing him. He also defacto called out the rest of his team by saying they should be drafting someone to help him which implies that the current guys aren't good enough. Even if that is true, you don't say it. He has a terrible attitude. It's no wonder he can't be a leader or successful at the position. It's a damn shame he's been paid like he is good at it though.

Yup. He's got talent. I've seen him play live. At times you can't help but to think "Wow! Most QBs can't do that!" But he's such a tease. Always dinged, chronically injured. It's easy to think "But if we could just keep him healthy for a full season the sky would be the limit!" But I can't imagine he ever will be. Plus there's his pay. He was the last quarterback chosen number one overall the year before the rookie pay scale was implemented. He's made so much money that he won't play for anything but a big contract - and teams keep giving them to him. He's going to go down as the best paid, longest tenured, most talented quarterback that never did anything.

I have never seen one play that seemed special made by Bradford. He is a dime a dozen qb who is living off his #1 pick status and I never thought he was that great at OU. He was a guy in a great system surrounded by blue chip talent who got hurt every time he got hit.

I just don't get Bradford's play here. Anywhere he goes, he's going to be "competing" for the starting job. He *will* be the starter for the Eagles. *If* he plays well then they will staple the rookie's ass to the bench. If he plays well two years in a row, they will resign him.

It seems like he doesn't want a guy behind pushing him. He also defacto called out the rest of his team by saying they should be drafting someone to help him which implies that the current guys aren't good enough. Even if that is true, you don't say it. He has a terrible attitude. It's no wonder he can't be a leader or successful at the position. It's a damn shame he's been paid like he is good at it though.

Exactly Jeremy. If he is winning in Philly this year and wins a game in the playoffs, he'll start in 2017. Why some QB's don't want anyone pushing them is beyond me as it is the norm for every other position. Sounds like a lack of confidence in his abilities or his health so get asmuch money now. Funny thing is if Denver wanted him, and Philly wants the distraction to go away, Denver could get him for $7 mil and Philly would have to pay the $11 mil.

Agreed. He's being a sore loser who doesn't grasp the concept of team or competition. So, the Eagles select a QB in the 1st, there's a significant probability this pick will be a bust. Historically, the first round, even top 10, is full of missed potential. He needs to look no further from the mirror to realize this. And, while he's looking at the mirror, even if the pick pans out, there's always QBs who miss a significant amount of time due to injuries where his services would be needed.

Because players are not paid for stats.