Draft Time - Who would you love, hate, and expect

Virgil

I am in the anti-Ragland group. He is near his ceiling now and is a little limited athletically IMO. I watch a lot of SEC football down here in Louisiana and his team was loaded. He plays downhill and is a thumper but he played behind some great DL. If he were the pick I would expect him to be a solid starter. I don't think that he is a disaster or anything. I just don't get excited about solid starter in the 1st.

Ragland's the kind of guy I hate at #19 but like at #49...If that makes any sense... B-)

Capaccio said these three shouldn't be unexpected in 1st --

Karl Joseph

Taylor Decker

Josh Doctson

http://www.wgr550.com/Don-t-be-surprised-if-the-Bills-take-one-of-these-/22696994

Love Sal...But I want to choke him for this...Really...I could not hate a group of three players any more than those three if you're talking about #19...

Good grief... B-)

I love Robert Nkemdiche because of his ability to control the LOS.

I hate Robert Nkemdiche because of his questionable effort and off field issues.

I expect the Bills to draft Robert Nkemdiche because Rex will make headlines & Rex lives for headlines.

I have a feeling it's going to be Chris Jones. Versatile defensive linemen fits Rex's MO and our team needs.

I would love it if we didn't have to give up much to move up and get one of the blue chip guys. I'd also love it if we were able to sell our pick to someone who wanted Lynch and picked up an extra 2nd or early 3rd.

I would hate it if we look at corner as I think that signals goodbye to Gilmore.

If the rumors are true and the Bills take one of these bum ”project” QB's at 19 then I think the website will crash. That would be worst case.

Best case, Myles Jack falls to us or one of the other top players. We need a lot of help on defense.

What I think will happen is they will take a player at a position we don't need as much help at which they seem to do time and time again. So it will probably be a DT, WR, CB, or *gasp* RB

I am in the anti-Ragland group. He is near his ceiling now and is a little limited athletically IMO. I watch a lot of SEC football down here in Louisiana and his team was loaded. He plays downhill and is a thumper but he played behind some great DL. If he were the pick I would expect him to be a solid starter. I don't think that he is a disaster or anything. I just don't get excited about solid starter in the 1st.

Thays the Alabama way. They are always loaded and they still come out and most times don't do much on the pro level. Im not a big fan of anyone from that school.

I've seen him play 10+ games. That's how I have formed MY opinion.

Thats the only way to do it. Honestly

my own opinion mostly, but some draft "experts" don't even have him as the top WR in this draft.

I would wait for Docton Wilson or Cooper. Can be had later in the draft.

I hate Robert Nkemdiche because of his questionable effort and off field issues.

I expect the Bills to draft Robert Nkemdiche because Rex will make headlines & Rex lives for headlines.

Great answer. If he decided to play ball. Im "all in"

Ragland's the kind of guy I hate at #19 but like at #49...If that makes any sense... B-)

Love Sal...But I want to choke him for this...Really...I could not hate a group of three players any more than those three if you're talking about #19...

Good grief... B-)

This is how i am thinking about quite a few players, including Treadwell. Give me some more 2 -3 round picks and i can deal.

BTW i am going to keep liking Ragland and would love to have him as a Bill. Maybe at 31 though

This is awesome. But at the same time, who couldn't hurt Goodwin? I think my wife could knock him out of a game just by tripping him

And regardless of how capable he is of injuring people it's his injury that is the main concern right now... B-)

He may be the most athletically gifted of this very good D-line crop...But all the athleticism in the world does not help when you're on the ground as much as Nkemdiche is...

I don't know...I'm just not a huge fan...He unquestionably has the ability...But he's going to need some serious work on fundamentals...Then there's the off-the-field stuff...

And I don't see him as a player who controls the line of scrimmage at all...To me he's more of an athlete...I see him always trying to beat the block with athleticism and having mixed results...When he's good he's VERY good...And when he's bad he's on the ground...To me he's not as much a stalemate guy as he is a penetrating DT...Which is not bad in itself...The problem is Nkemdiche has wild inconsistency while playing his game... B-)

Well, the rest of us are clamoring for him! B-)

I see it everywhere, "They must draft Karl Joseph!"

:lol:

Edited by KOKBILLS

This is not dependent on round. Love: Myles Jack. Jonathan Bullard, Kenny Clark, Josh Dotson, Sterling Shepard, Malcolm Mitchell, Graham Glasgow. Really like: Paxton Lynch, Brandon Allen (for a back-up), Kenyan Drake, Tyler Boyd, Keyarris Garrett, Devon Cajuste, Ryan Kelly, Chris Jones, Su'a Cravens, Juston Burris. MEH: Laquon Treadwell, Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, Kevin Dodd,

Don't Like: Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Will Fuller, Michael Thomas, Germain Ifedi, Le'Raven Clark, Emmanuel Ogbah, Leonard Floyd, and last and most definitely least: Sean Davis

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

This is not dependent on round. Love: Myles Jack. Jonathan Bullard, Kenny Clark, Josh Dotson, Sterling Shepard, Malcolm Mitchell, Graham Glasgow. Really like: Paxton Lynch, Brandon Allen (for a back-up), Kenyan Drake, Tyler Boyd, Keyarris Garrett, Devon Cajuste, Ryan Kelly, Chris Jones, Su'a Cravens, Juston Burris. MEH: Laquon Treadwell, Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, Kevin Dodd,

Don't Like: Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Will Fuller, Michael Thomas, Germain Ifedi, Le'Raven Clark, Emmanuel Ogbah, Leonard Floyd, and last and most definitely least: Sean Davis

why no Sean Davis

You have a complicated life : )

These stories on Ragland make the "he's too unathletic" label seem like a full blown myth which clearly only got bigger over time through the pre-draft echo chamber...

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/2016-senior-bowl-alabama-lb-reggie-ragland-blows-by-competition-in-first-practice

http://collegespun.com/national/former-alabama-lb-reggie-ragland-showing-out-at-senior-bowl-practices

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/20639/alabamas-reggie-ragland-jarran-reed-flaunt-versatility-at-senior-bowl

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/14661967/alabama-lb-reggie-ragland-stands-mobile-nfl-draft

My favorite line...

"Overheard behind me: "Ragland looks like a grown-ass man playing against 3-year olds out here." #Alabama #SeniorBowl"

IMO from watching Ragland's highlight videos, he plays like he's a heat seeking missile. I hope that fans here don't get overly upset if he's the pick. I get the feeling that over the months after the college season ends, there's just so much talk and picking apart of some of these guys that it sometimes leads to warped opinions of a player's abilities like Ragland.

The issue most have with Ragland is his coverage skills. Is he a physical presence I between the tackles? No doubt, can he rush the passer? Yes he can. The reason the articles don't mention coverage skills is its highly questionable as a skill set of his and limits his worth. Personally, if he fell into the second round a la Landon Collins last year I wouldn't mind so much making a move up to get him as IMO that is his value in the NFL today, early 2nd/late 1st depending on the team. Aside from playing different positions Collins and Raglands skill sets are relatively speaking the same. His movement skills forward are much better than backwards.

Not joking, but do we care about our linebackers ability to cover? In today's league, they are either blitzing or stopping the run. Our safeties are taking the TE's these day worthy of covering.

The league has changed so much that I feel most linebackers only cover in zone or on plays where we are disguising coverages.

Not joking, but do we care about our linebackers ability to cover? In today's league, they are either blitzing or stopping the run. Our safeties are taking the TE's these day worthy of covering.

The league has changed so much that I feel most linebackers only cover in zone or on plays where we are disguising coverages.

This is not intended to be cutting, but did you watch the first NE game last year?

Half of their offense was Brady throwing to the guy that Nigel Bradham was covering.

I'm gonna qualify mine, that it only includes guys that have visited with the Bills so far. For 10 years running, the first draft pick has been one of the 30 allowed to visit the team.

Love: Sheldon Rankins - DL, Leonard Floyd - LB, or Jarran Reed - DT. I think any of these guys are immediate starters, which is what I would expect with the #19 pick overall.

Hate: Eli Apple - CB, Jack Conklin - OT, Taylor Decker - OT. The Bills already have one of the top-10 defensive backfields with what they have now. Apple is a luxury pick. Picking either of the OT's suggests they're already planning on passing on Glenn next season. Why pay this much for a RT unless you're moving them to LT next year and then you just need another RT.

Expect: Jarran Reed. I think Rankins is long gone by the time they pick or he would be the easy choice. Reed is a great fallback as a 3 technique guy and moves Dareus outside to wreck havoc as a pass rusher. Immediate defensive upgrade.

Love:

WR Laquan Treadwell

Oh c'mon, not another WR!!? Atleast hear me out: The guy is physical like Dez Bryant and has hands like Deandre Hopkins. He'll make an impact on every play - whether it's from being a threat as a receiver, blocking downfield, or demanding attention away from Sammy. Other than Tyrod, I'll make the case that Watkins is the one guy we can't afford to get hurt. He isn't the most durable guy thus far in his NFL career and we don't the WR depth that we had last year. If Sammy goes down early in the season with a bad injury, our playoff hopes would drastically decrease with Woods as our WR1. Yikes! But just imagine Sammy outside with Treadwell and Woods in the slot? I like the sound of that.

Hate:

Chris Jones & A'Shawn Robinson

I wouldn't say I "hate" these guys, but their tape is pretty pedestrian for the 19th overall pick. They're both around the same size at 6'6 310 and very athletic, but they seem to take a bunch of plays off. They have low ceilings in my opinion and will never become a game changer like you'd hope with a 1st round pick.

Truthfully I hope we grab a true NT like D.J. Reader (Athletic for 340lbs) in the 4th. I don't want to turn Dareus into a 100 mil space eater like the rest of us, but I'm also not fond of playing 335lb Dareus at end while having a 300-310lb NT while in the 3-4.

Expect:

Shaq Lawson

We all know why he could be a potential Bill, but I'm not crazy about the idea. He seems more like a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB to me. I'm certain that we'd benefit more from Treadwell in the 1st and waiting for one of the "names" like Spence, Dodd, Nkemdiche, Ogbah, to fall to us in the second. If none of them falls, then go with 6'6 285 Bronson Kaufusi in the second round. Athletic, versataille with great production + he was one of our pre-draft visits.

Edited by TheBuffaloBills

This is not intended to be cutting, but did you watch the first NE game last year?

Half of their offense was Brady throwing to the guy that Nigel Bradham was covering.

Agreed. Because Rex wanted to be cute and drop everyone into coverage with no rush. The next game, we played more man and rushed. That game was much closer.

Again, in the league of elite TE's, the lb shouldn't be covering them. It's the safety's job. I'm not saying they can't play coverage, but it should be the exception

The issue most have with Ragland is his coverage skills. Is he a physical presence I between the tackles? No doubt, can he rush the passer? Yes he can. The reason the articles don't mention coverage skills is its highly questionable as a skill set of his and limits his worth. Personally, if he fell into the second round a la Landon Collins last year I wouldn't mind so much making a move up to get him as IMO that is his value in the NFL today, early 2nd/late 1st depending on the team. Aside from playing different positions Collins and Raglands skill sets are relatively speaking the same. His movement skills forward are much better than backwards.

My positive opinion for Ragland does not extend to him being picked at nineteen by the Bills. But in the situation you describe i might be rather pleased. Zach Brown can do that cover crap

Love:

WR Laquan Treadwell

Oh c'mon, not another WR!!? Atleast hear me out: The guy is physical like Dez Bryant and has hands like Deandre Hopkins. He'll make an impact on every play - whether it's from being a threat as a receiver, blocking downfield, or demanding attention away from Sammy. Other than Tyrod, I'll make the case that Watkins is the one guy we can't afford to get hurt. He isn't the most durable guy thus far in his NFL career and we don't the WR depth that we had last year. If Sammy goes down early in the season with a bad injury, our playoff hopes would drastically decrease with Woods as our WR1. Yikes! But just imagine Sammy outside with Treadwell and Woods in the slot? I like the sound of that.

Hate:

Chris Jones & A'Shawn Robinson

I wouldn't say I "hate" these guys, but their tape is pretty pedestrian for the 19th overall pick. They're both around the same size at 6'6 310 and very athletic, but they seem to take a bunch of plays off. They have low ceilings in my opinion and will never become a game changer like you'd hope with a 1st round pick.

Truthfully I hope we grab a true NT like D.J. Reader (Athletic for 340lbs) in the 4th. I don't want to turn Dareus into a 100 mil space eater like the rest of us, but I'm also not fond of playing 335lb Dareus at end while having a 300-310lb NT while in the 3-4.

OK...First, advocating for three consecutive 1st Rd picks in three years on two WR's just falls deaf on me...I think it's poor team building...And I don't think that Treadwell is worthy of that kind of gamble...That's not to say I don't think he's good...Time will tell of course...But with the holes the Bills have on Defense I think it's akin to team building suicide...And you open up potential Cap problems at WR in the future...Just makes zero sense to me...

I think you have a point with Robinson...I'm not a huge fan of his...But...I have watched 6 tapes of Chris Jones...Every Down...3 times now...I feel like I'm pretty much a self-proclaimed Chris Jones expert...And...full disclosure...He's the guy I want the Bills to pick at #19...To be honest no one other than Sheldon Rankins gives me pause on that thought...I don't know how it's humanly possible to watch Jones and call him pedestrian...When he's using proper technique, using his hands, extending his arms, and attacking 50% of the O-lineman trying to block him he is virtually unstoppable...He has the ability, and shows it often enough, to explode off the ball and cause havoc in the backfield...He's 6-6-310 and runs a 5.0 flat 40...He could certainly get a little stronger...and he will...But 26 reps for a guy who has longer arms (34 1/2") than DeForest Buckner, who is an inch taller, is certainly not bad,,,He can play the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 techniques, and has at Mississippi St...

As I've said here before I know the knocks on Jones all to well...Here's the thing...EVERY prospect in this Draft has holes...Every single one...They can be nitpicked to death if that is your thing...But here's what I think about all that concerning Jones...He was the best player on his team...Certainly the best player on their Defense...When you look at a game like the A&M game they clearly had a plan for him...He was double teamed a lot in that game...They ran plays away from him constantly...But if you watch the La tech game, he's just a man among boys...Could he put more effort in to every play? Probably...Not going to deny it...But fatigue is a real thing in College Football...Especially when you're 6-6-310 and playing in the South...It happens...When he gets NFL conditioning, training, diet, etc...I think a lot of that stuff disappears because I see him still firing off the ball late in each game...He's showing effort at the line of scrimmage on most every play...He's a DT...He's not an OLB...He's not perfect...Not yet at least...

The rest I see is technique and coaching...At times he's a little to willing to allow the O-lineman to get 100% of him initially...I'm pretty certain that's because he feels he can whip anyone physically, and that's definitely not good technique...But he still shows plenty when he does the right thing...I think any NFL HC will look at these stalemates and say they can coach him up in a heartbeat...Especially a coach with the last name of Ryan...I don't think he's the most instinctive player...He's not the worst either, and I have heard he's a hard worker and loves the game...He's just a little immature...

What you get with Jones is a potential monster...I don't see him as a boom or bust at all...I think his floor is every bit as good as most DT's in this Draft...But his ceiling, if he puts it all together, is sky high...And lastly the Bills are looking for someone to work into that rotation and take heat off of Dareus...I think Chris Jones is picture perfect for that role...Give this kid to Rex and in a year or two he could be every bit as good as Wilkerson if he works hard and learns how to properly use what God gave him... B-)

I would LOVE for the Bills to draft TWO QBs!! Why not get Cardale and Hogan? In addition to Nkemdiche in the first.

I'd rather see a kicker drafted rather than two qbs. Not sure about this, but yesterday on one of those draft shows, Polian said Nkemdiche did not fit a 3 - 4, which I gather we are more or less going to use. I would not draft Nkemdiche in the first because of character concerns and because his play does not match his athleticism.

Edited by Dr. Who

OK...First, advocating for three consecutive 1st Rd picks in three years on two WR's just falls deaf on me...I think it's poor team building...And I don't think that Treadwell is worthy of that kind of gamble...That's not to say I don't think he's good...Time will tell of course...But with the holes the Bills have on Defense I think it's akin to team building suicide...And you open up potential Cap problems at WR in the future...Just makes zero sense to me...

I think you have a point with Robinson...I'm not a huge fan of his...But...I have watched 6 tapes of Chris Jones...Every Down...3 times now...I feel like I'm pretty much a self-proclaimed Chris Jones expert...And...full disclosure...He's the guy I want the Bills to pick at #19...To be honest no one other than Sheldon Rankins gives me pause on that thought...I don't know how it's humanly possible to watch Jones and call him pedestrian...When he's using proper technique, using his hands, extending his arms, and attacking 50% of the O-lineman trying to block him he is virtually unstoppable...He has the ability, and shows it often enough, to explode off the ball and cause havoc in the backfield...He's 6-6-310 and runs a 5.0 flat 40...He could certainly get a little stronger...and he will...But 26 reps for a guy who has longer arms (34 1/2") than DeForest Buckner, who is an inch taller, is certainly not bad,,,He can play the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 techniques, and has at Mississippi St...

As I've said here before I know the knocks on Jones all to well...Here's the thing...EVERY prospect in this Draft has holes...Every single one...They can be nitpicked to death if that is your thing...But here's what I think about all that concerning Jones...He was the best player on his team...Certainly the best player on their Defense...When you look at a game like the A&M game they clearly had a plan for him...He was double teamed a lot in that game...They ran plays away from him constantly...But if you watch the La tech game, he's just a man among boys...Could he put more effort in to every play? Probably...Not going to deny it...But fatigue is a real thing in College Football...Especially when you're 6-6-310 and playing in the South...It happens...When he gets NFL conditioning, training, diet, etc...I think a lot of that stuff disappears because I see him still firing off the ball late in each game...He's showing effort at the line of scrimmage on most every play...He's a DT...He's not an OLB...He's not perfect...Not yet at least...

The rest I see is technique and coaching...At times he's a little to willing to allow the O-lineman to get 100% of him initially...I'm pretty certain that's because he feels he can whip anyone physically, and that's definitely not good technique...But he still shows plenty when he does the right thing...I think any NFL HC will look at these stalemates and say they can coach him up in a heartbeat...Especially a coach with the last name of Ryan...I don't think he's the most instinctive player...He's not the worst either, and I have heard he's a hard worker and loves the game...He's just a little immature...

What you get with Jones is a potential monster...I don't see him as a boom or bust at all...I think his floor is every bit as good as most DT's in this Draft...But his ceiling, if he puts it all together, is sky high...And lastly the Bills are looking for someone to work into that rotation and take heat off of Dareus...I think Chris Jones is picture perfect for that role...Give this kid to Rex and in a year or two he could be every bit as good as Wilkerson if he works hard and learns how to properly use what God gave him... B-)

You have planted your flag.

props to you for your well defended reasoning !

Expect Pick:

Hard to say who will fall...But if he's there Shaq Lawson...I would not be surprised if it was any from the group of Jones, Rankins, Robinson, Reed, Dodd, Butler, or even Spence...I do not think they will take Nkemdiche...Just depends on who is still there and who is gone... B-)

Just saying... ;)

I wouldn't have been mad if they traded up for Myles Jack if he was healthy. But in the end I'm so glad they just let the guys fall to them and took BPA on their board instead of trading up or down. It feels good. They filled an immediate need with a day 1 starter who was ranked the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft. The value at 19 is huge because the pass rusher group in this draft is very thin. Interior DL is very deep and can wait.

Edited by YoloinOhio