Looks like Donte Whitner cut by Browns

2000 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State 2001 21 Nate Clements DB Ohio State 2002 4 Mike Williams OT Texas 2003 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami (FL) 2004 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin 2004 22 J. P. Losman QB Tulane 2005 - No Pick - - 2006 8 Donte Whitner S Ohio State 2006 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State 2007 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California 2008 11 Leodis McKelvin DB Troy 2009 11 Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn State 2009 28 Eric Wood C Louisville 2010 9 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson 2011 3 Marcell Dareus DT Alabama 2012 10 Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina 2013 16 EJ Manuel QB Florida State 2014 4 Sammy Watkins WR Clemson

Here are the first rounders since 2000. I see a lot worse picks than him. But, I think its funny that people call him a bust when he started his whole career.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

around 40 players made at least one pro bowl from the 2006 draft. I'm not sure how many made multiple. So 40 out of 255 made it at least once. What is that 15% made the pro bowl?

35 to be exact, or whatever i already posted. look at a previous post. it's lower than you'd think.

whitner was among the top 60 players in that years draft. likely the top 30... but at a ****ty position.

As has been said.......there are many more factors when determining how successful a player has been.

Ruben Brown made 9 pro bowls and was a 4 time all pro..........more decorated than many HOF's.......and yet he really isn't in consideration for that honor because of the value of his position and the understanding that many of those pro bowls were based on factors other than his game.

But at least Brown did what he did without needing the best players around him to do so.

Whitner also plays a devalued position.......and had he gone to Cleveland directly after Buffalo he makes zero pro bowls because his success in SF was the direct result of being behind a great front 7...........if that wasn't clear to the eye before he cost his team the SB then it should have become clear when Antoine Bethea.......a sixth rounder from that same draft........was able to replace him and play much better in 2014.

Whitner is certainly one of the top 100 players to come out in 2006 but his "accolades" mean little to me because he's never been more than a complementary player. I mean has he been better than a guy like Vernon Davis because he's made more pro bowls? Not hardly. Give me difference makers any day over toadies that need to be surrounded with All Pros to stand out. Whitner is going to finish his career averaging around 1 interception and 1 FF per season. :thumbdown:

understood, agreed and not disputed. bethea fit that scheme better, though. whitner belongs in a tampa2.

I get what you're saying, but where the Bills are concerned specifically does it really matter?

The Bills needed a DT desperately and passed on an absolute monster...And he was not a sleeper, unknown monster...He was a Pac 10 Defensive Player Of The Year/Consensus 1st Team All American monster...We all know who they should have Drafted instead of Whitner...I was literally jumping up and down in my LR chanting Ngata!!! Ngata!!! Ngata!!!

Then I had a heart attack when the pick was announced...

I could care less about any other prospect in that draft not named Ngata...That should have been the pick...End of story... B-)

I realize that's not Whitner's fault though...

we're on the same page.

Going out on a limb here, but if your picking within the top 10, that player better end up being a game changer (and yes, a game changer was still on the board, but Marv liked skinny DTs). Whitner has never been a game changer. His presence never dictated the result of a game. He was solid, even above average, but that's something to expect from a pick between 20-32 or in the 2nd round. So, I place him in the bust category.

Edited by Saint Doug

There is a difference between a bad pick and a "whiff" or a "bust." Whitner and CJ Spiller were not whiffs or busts they were talented guys who have had some good seasons in the NFL.

But they were bad picks. They were bad picks by the Buffalo Bills for exactly the reason Badol has explained. They were top 10 picks at non premium positions without being the rare special physical specimins to justify such investment on a team that had questions at Quarterback, tackle, receiver and corner.

Whitner's career has had its ups and downs but juat because he has had some pro-bowl years does not mean the Bills' decision in 2006 was justified.

Question @ QB in 2006 you say? We had JP! LMAO... Cutler went after Lil Donte...

Going out on a limb here, but if your picking within the top 10, that player better end up being a game changer (and yes, a game changer was still on the board, but Marv liked skinny DTs). Whitner has never been a game changer. His presence never dictated the result of a game. He was solid, even above average, but that's something to expect from a pick between 20-32 or in the 2nd round. So, I place him in the bust category.

To me that isn't a bust though. Bad pick - yes, unquestionably, but not a bust. Maybin was a bust, Mike Williams was a bust. Whitner was a bad pick.

lol. My phone is screwed up. I miss a lot of posts. When i replied it was the post after but when i refreshed there were a bunch

No worries. Threads get rolling fast sometimes.

little Donte is not a bust.

he is/was a solid starter who got overpaid.

good luck going forward, just not with the Bills.

and over-drafted. not his fault.

10 of them have made more than 3 pro bowls. 5 have made 3.

so 13 of the likely 400 players to enter the league that attained the status whitner did.

Well, another way to look at it is this.

Two in that class of 2006 made it to the ProBowl as rookies - Marcus McNeil and Vince Young - both of whom went to two ProBowls

Eight from that class made it to the ProBowl after their first year - Devin Hester (3-time PB), DeMeco Ryans (2 time PB), Antonio Cromartie (4 timer), Derek Anderson, Joseph Addai, Antoine Bethea (3 timer), and Marcus McNeill (2 timer).

15 made it after two years in the League: Vince Young, Maurice Jones-Drew, DeAngelo Williams, Brandon Marshall, Miles Austin, Vernon Davis, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jahri Evans, Nick Mangold, Mario Williams, Haloti Ngata, Elvis Dumervill, DeMeco Ryans, Roman Harper, and Antoine Bethea.

13 made it the following year (2010): Maurice Jones-Drew, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Marcedes Lewis, Tyson Clabo, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jahri Evans, Nick Mangold, Haloti Ngata, Kyle Williams, Roman Harper, Devin Hester, and Montell Owens.

In 2011, fourteen from that class made it to the Pro Bowl: Maurice Jones-Drew, John Kuhn, Michael Robinson, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jahri Evans, Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold, Elvis Dumervil, Haloti Ngata, Tamba Hali, Johnathan Joseph, and Montell Owens.

2012 saw another fourteen from the 2006 Draft Class go to the Pro Bowl - Six years after they were drafted, including (finally) said same Donte Whitner. Brandon Marshall, Owen Daniels, Andrew Whitworth, Jahri Evans, Richie Incognito, Elvis Dumervil, Haloti Ngata, Kyle Williams, Tamba Hali, Tim Jennings, Antonio Cromartie, Johnathan Joseph, Donte Whitner, and Leon Washington.

2013's Pro Bowl selections included 14 from that Draft Class as well: Brandon Marshall, Vernon Davis, Jahri Evans, Nick Mangold (tired of hearing his name called yet?), Mario Williams, Jason Hatcher, Haloti Ngata, Kyle Williams, Ahmad Brooks, Tamba Hali, Antonio Cromartie, Tim Jennings, Donte Whitner, and Stephen Gostkowski.

2014 saw only 13 from the 2006 class go to the Pro Bowl: John Kuhn, Devin Hester, Jahri Evans and Nick Mangold (again), Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Elvis Dumervil, Tamba Hali, D'Qwell Jackson, Antonio Cromartie, Antoine, Bethea, Donte Whitner, and Stephen Gostkowski.

Last year's Pro Bowl had 9 from the class play in the Bowl: John Kuhn, Brandon Marshall, Delanie Walker, Richie Incognito, Nick Mangold (yes, him again), Andrew Whitworth, Tamba Hali, Stephen Gostkowski, and Sam Koch.

Most of the best players and repeat Pro Bowl players made it to their first dance by their second or third year. By the time Donte's name shows up on the roster most of the repeaters have already played in multiple PBs. So he was a late bloomer so to speak. Not a bust, but definitely over drafted by this franchise.

you mean an pro bowl safety who has been in the league for 10 years was a whiff?

Yep

Whitner never lived up to where he was drafted, but he has still been better than safeties in the league. I think there is probably too much baggage between Whitner and Buffalo but we do need more safeties. Having said that, I think he's out of our price range anyway.

Im sure he would rather retire.

I don't think Donte Whitner is a bust but he's very limited in coverage. At this point he's more of a hybrid or nickel back IMO, something like Bryan Scott was for us a few years back. He's still pretty solid against the run but he's simply a liability in the passing game.

I never liked Whitner. Hated that we drafted him and passed on Ngata.

Never thought he was a very good player. Terrible in coverage. My most vivid memories of him as a Bill are watching opposing TE's catching TD's while Donte is about 6 feet away, and watching the little punk throw a shoulder into guys who were on the ground after someone else made the tackle. Whitner is arrogant and childish. I'm still waiting to see his proof that he was an innocent victim in the Cleveland taser incident. I wish him health and success wherever he goes, but I hope he never plays for the Bills again. He is one guy I just can not root for.

The Whitner selection wasn't a complete bust. He was an above average player and found a good role on the 49ers where he excelled playing on a stacked defense. But the Bills needed a home run with that pick in 2006, they either could have traded down and gotten a nice package of picks for Leinart who was falling or drafted Ngata and he would have been a high level talent for years to come at a clear position of need for the Bills at the time. Instead they got solid player at a position where they had other options.

Keep in mind in 2006 it was Jauron's first year and there were key players in 2006 whose contracts were expiring (Clements, London Fletcher) and a key player in Spikes coming off of an injury. They needed to try and set the table with a great draft and instead of Ngata and Mangold along with finding Kyle in round 5, they got Whitner and McCargo.

Edited by billsfan89

The Whitner selection wasn't a complete bust. He was an above average player and found a good role on the 49ers where he excelled playing on a stacked defense. But the Bills needed a home run with that pick in 2006, they either could have traded down and gotten a nice package of picks for Leinart who was falling or drafted Ngata and he would have been a high level talent for years to come at a clear position of need for the Bills at the time. Instead they got solid player at a position where they had other options.

Keep in mind in 2006 it was Jauron's first year and there were key players in 2006 whose contracts were expiring (Clements, London Fletcher) and a key player in Spikes coming off of an injury. They needed to try and set the table with a great draft and instead of Ngata and Mangold along with finding Kyle in round 5, they got Whitner and McCargo.

But they had a need at SS.

One they created by irrationally deciding to cut veteran leader Lawyer Milloy.

I know what the average apologist would say.......he was expensive and old, right?

Milloy proceeded to started all 16 games for the next three seasons and outperform Whitner. :doh::doh::doh:

Whitner finally completed a 16 game schedule for the first time in 2010, his last year in Buffalo.

Milloy also started all 16 for Seattle in 2010 before retiring that offseason.

Not only was Whitner a reach he was a reach to address an unnecessarily self-inflicted wound.

I know what the average apologist would say.......he was expensive and old, right?

Milloy proceeded to started all 16 games for the next three seasons and outperform Whitner. :doh::doh::doh:

Whitner finally completed a 16 game schedule for the first time in 2010, his last year in Buffalo.

Milloy also started all 16 for Seattle in 2010 before retiring that offseason.

Not only was Whitner a reach he was a reach to address an unnecessarily self-inflicted wound.

You mean like when we let London Fletcher go and he played 5 more years for the Redskins and ended Fitz's career?

No need for apologists here surely? Levy was one of the worst GMs I can remember in my time watching the NFL let alone the Bills. The decision to release Milloy was a head scratcher at best.

Look at his two draft classes. Whitner and Lynch - players who played their best football away from Buffalo, Poz who was a solid player for us and then the Jags and then the greatest 5th round pick ever in Kyle.

The rest of the players he drafted are hardly even worth a mention.

you mean an pro bowl safety who has been in the league for 10 years was a whiff?

Yes my friend. He was a 36 million dollar disaster as the #8 selection in a draft that that was absolutely stacked with talented players.

Not only that, Levy said that he turned down numerous offers to trade down and that one offer involved more than an extra 2nd round pick for doing so, according to Marv himself.

There were certainly draft selections who were worse than Whitner as players, but selecting Whitner at #8 was one of the worst and dumbest moves in Bills history, and sadly this is quite the distinction.

Yes, they were luxury picks by a team that didn't have the luxury of making them. I don't know why pros can't understand this.

Levy was not meant to be a pro GM. He was a person who no other team would have hired and he brought in his clone (Jauron) who of course no other team would hire as a head coach. These people thought that the secondary was THE most important aspect of NFL football, followed of course by special teams. The Levy/Jauron combination had absolutely no chance of winning.

I remember when Schobel was our entire pass rush and these morons would send him back into coverage. Rings a bell today, no? :(