Looks like Donte Whitner cut by Browns

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner excelled in the SF defense that was at top of the league and went to the NFC championship game. He's always been a very capable player. As others said, he was drafted higher than he should have been but he played up to his talent level and always played hard. Never could understand the hate.

Whitner excelled in the SF defense that was at top of the league and went to the NFC championship game. He's always been a very capable player. As others said, he was drafted higher than he should have been but he played up to his talent level and always played hard. Never could understand the hate.

He was a whiny baby who would always try to get his female Twitter followers to DM him their cell #'s

CBF

Levy was not meant to be a pro GM. He was a person who no other team would have hired and he brought in his clone (Jauron) who of course no other team would hire as a head coach. These people thought that the secondary was THE most important aspect of NFL football, followed of course by special teams. The Levy/Jauron combination had absolutely no chance of winning.

I remember when Schobel was our entire pass rush and these morons would send him back into coverage. Rings a bell today, no? :(

I know the DBs point particularly exercises you Bill but for me it was more just that Marv had no idea of how to build a modern day NFL team. The Bills throughout the 00's didn't draft with any real long term strategy or direction but the Levy years were particularly bad. I know you are not a fan of Whaley's but I personally see much more of a strategic approach to our drafting since the first full Buddy Nix draft (2011). Doesn't mean we have hit on every pick but there has at least been a discernable strategy.

I fundamentally agree with your conclusion though - Levy had no business being a GM and I believe he took the job because he thought he could give himself the Head Coaching job again.

I know the DBs point particularly exercises you Bill but for me it was more just that Marv had no idea of how to build a modern day NFL team. The Bills throughout the 00's didn't draft with any real long term strategy or direction but the Levy years were particularly bad. I know you are not a fan of Whaley's but I personally see much more of a strategic approach to our drafting since the first full Buddy Nix draft (2011). Doesn't mean we have hit on every pick but there has at least been a discernable strategy.

I fundamentally agree with your conclusion though - Levy had no business being a GM and I believe he took the job because he thought he could give himself the Head Coaching job again.

In general, if you've exercised as many of your first picks on RB's and DB's........and as few on QB's as the Bills have .........you don't see the long term picture.

But they had a need at SS.

One they created by irrationally deciding to cut veteran leader Lawyer Milloy.

I know what the average apologist would say.......he was expensive and old, right?

Milloy proceeded to started all 16 games for the next three seasons and outperform Whitner. :doh::doh::doh:

Whitner finally completed a 16 game schedule for the first time in 2010, his last year in Buffalo.

Milloy also started all 16 for Seattle in 2010 before retiring that offseason.

Not only was Whitner a reach he was a reach to address an unnecessarily self-inflicted wound.

Yup, within a year from the 2006-2007 off-season they lost or got rid of Milloy, Spikes, Fletcher, and Clements on top of losing Pat Williams in the off-season of 2005. Jauron and Levy got rid of a lot of effective vets for little or no gain. Yes Clements got overpaid and Spikes got hurt shortly after trading him but Milloy and Fletcher were 2 self inflicted wounds and they ended up spending 2 premium draft choices trying to replace them (Poz and Whitner) at a time when they weren't able to get much going in free agency and they needed to hit on every draft choice possible.

They could have kept Milloy and drafted Ngata and Mangold and had 3 positions filled that year. Tons of missteps in those years, thankfully they seem to be better at drafting and able to attract free agents to the team.

You mean like when we let London Fletcher go and he played 5 more years for the Redskins and ended Fitz's career?

and went to the pro bowl besides?

Yes my friend. He was a 36 million dollar disaster as the #8 selection in a draft that that was absolutely stacked with talented players.

Not only that, Levy said that he turned down numerous offers to trade down and that one offer involved more than an extra 2nd round pick for doing so, according to Marv himself.

There were certainly draft selections who were worse than Whitner as players, but selecting Whitner at #8 was one of the worst and dumbest moves in Bills history, and sadly this is quite the distinction.

really dug some deep holes during that era

If you recall all the late tackles and the whiffs and his super sissy way of coming in late for the tackle "assist".

he sucked

I like to keep old draft magazine publications and look back with the view of hindsight to see how close the "experts" were. Was just looking at an old Sporting News 2006 edition. On the cover was Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and Vince Young.

I know the Bills probably would have been much better off drafting Ngata (as conventional wisdom suggested they should), Cutler (whom they had rated as their top QB prospect in the draft) -- or trading down (as there were supposedly multiple opportunities for them to do). However, they could have done MUCH worse with that pick. Whitner was at least a decent starting safety.

I don't think Donte Whitner is a bust but he's very limited in coverage. At this point he's more of a hybrid or nickel back IMO, something like Bryan Scott was for us a few years back. He's still pretty solid against the run but he's simply a liability in the passing game.

Haven't seen him play in some time, but his strength was playing in the box. Which made the pick goofy as heck, but the pick is all on Marv Levy and Dick Jauron.

@DonteHitner 5m

In light of not being good enough for either the Bills or the Browns I have decided that the its time to retire from professional football and pursue my other true passion, boxing Pat Moran. First 5 RTs get tickets to my first fight!!! #renege

Edited by Jauronimo

@DonteHitner 5m

In light of not being good enough for either the Bills or the Browns I have decided that the its time to retire from professional football and pursue my other true passion, boxing Pat Moran. First 5 RTs get tickets to my first fight!!! #renege

if only that was real.