Bills restructure Kyle Williams

FireChan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have to clear enough cap space to pay their rookies.....draft picks and undrafted rookie free agent signings. Don't know that exact number, but I think it would take most of what they have left after this restructure.

It's gonna be aroun $5m to sign the rookies. They will still have roughly $2.5m to add a position or two.

I don't think we are done with restructuring deals.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm sorry but I am not understanding the restructures at this point? Why are they so set on freeing up cap space for this year? Where do they plan on going with it at this point?

It's a little late in the process. They've restructured Carpenter, K. Williams, and Graham after UFA began.

I didn't expect them to go wild in UFA, but are they that busy franchising Glenn, re-signing Incognito, and tendering RFA's to preclude them from restructuring of other contracts? :o

It's a little late in the process. They've restructured Carpenter, K. Williams, and Graham after UFA began.

I didn't expect them to go wild in UFA, but are they that busy franchising Glenn, re-signing Incognito, and tendering RFA's to preclude them from restructuring of other contracts? :o

All it would take is finalizing a deal with Glenn.....or Gilmore...or both and our Cap available money would jump up big time

He sees the writing on the wall and realizes if cut he's unlikely to get paid more than his restructured deal will pay him.

This. Most probable in my opinion

The Bills have to clear enough cap space to pay their rookies.....draft picks and undrafted rookie free agent signings. Don't know that exact number, but I think it would take most of what they have left after this restructure.

Plus with the releases they have made, you need to fill them with somebody and that will take up some cap room. I guess bodies and rookies are the same, could be some double counting there on my part

The Bills' rookie pool is about $6M for their 8 picks. Under the Rule of 51 they'll see 8 players roll out of the 51 counted cap hits at about $500k each. Thus they'll need about $2M in cap space to sign their picks. There is reason to need a bit more room than that, however. Before the regular season starts they'll have to have their entire 53 man roster, their practice squad and any IRed players under their cap. In addition, they'll need a minimum of $2M-$3M in space (a bit more would be better) for any in-season moves including replacements for IRed players, any trades, waiver pick ups, etc. They look to be able to make some bargain moves or even one midlevel move now if they wanted to. They could clear a little space this season with long term deals for Gilmore and Glenn, too. Right now they've done what they needed to do with their cap.

All it would take is finalizing a deal with Glenn.....or Gilmore...or both and our Cap available money would jump up big time

And there is nothing indicating any type of negotiations are taking place. Time is of the essence and cap space in July isn't as valuable as cap space now.

Unless of course Whaley is following the tried and true method of John Idzik and banking cap space.

And there is nothing indicating any type of negotiations are taking place. Time is of the essence and cap space in July isn't as valuable as cap space now.

Unless of course Whaley is following the tried and true method of John Idzik and banking cap space.

To be fair, there's nothing indicating that these negotiations are not taking place.

That's not really true.

If anything, cap space that they have now should be allocated to bringing in a key contributor or two, while cap space cleared from Gilmore/Glenn extensions can be used to sign draft picks.

Since draft picks don't need to be under contract until July, there's no rush.

I just don't get how we're in such a bad cap situation. Sure we paid big money to Marcel and Cordy, and I know Shady is towards the top for RB's but where is all the money tied up? Richie's contract wasn't huge. We restructured Clay, Graham, Kyle, Carpenter, etc. We got rid of Mario's big contract, Harvin is gone (6 million), Bradham, Hogan, Brooks and others are gone. We have very little money tied up at QB and WR. Just seems like we should be in a better cap situation.

I just don't get how we're in such a bad cap situation. Sure we paid big money to Marcel and Cordy, and I know Shady is towards the top for RB's but where is all the money tied up? Richie's contract wasn't huge. We restructured Clay, Graham, Kyle, Carpenter, etc. We got rid of Mario's big contract, Harvin is gone (6 million), Bradham, Hogan, Brooks and others are gone. We have very little money tied up at QB and WR. Just seems like we should be in a better cap situation.

$12 million and change in dead money between Mario, Harvin, Chris Williams (yes), Leo and Ubrik. Glenn and Gilmore's numbers are inflated since one's been tagged and the other is in his extension year (that's 24 million between those two).

They've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 million in cap room next year. Even if Cordy, Taylor, and Gilmore's deals are huge and not cap friendly (which I doubt), they'll have a lot more room next year.

The Bills' rookie pool is about $6M for their 8 picks. Under the Rule of 51 they'll see 8 players roll out of the 51 counted cap hits at about $500k each. Thus they'll need about $2M in cap space to sign their picks. There is reason to need a bit more room than that, however. Before the regular season starts they'll have to have their entire 53 man roster, their practice squad and any IRed players under their cap. In addition, they'll need a minimum of $2M-$3M in space (a bit more would be better) for any in-season moves including replacements for IRed players, any trades, waiver pick ups, etc. They look to be able to make some bargain moves or even one midlevel move now if they wanted to. They could clear a little space this season with long term deals for Gilmore and Glenn, too. Right now they've done what they needed to do with their cap.

Excellent summary. If Glenn an Gilmore do new deals the space created is likely left to roll over to next year because TT could be in for a very big payday.

I'm sorry but I am not understanding the restructures at this point? Why are they so set on freeing up cap space for this year? Where do they plan on going with it at this point?

To sign more good players. We should be exsctatic at how proactive the front office is trying to maximize what the cap gives the team.

I dont know....a lot of people thought we werent gonna do anything with the meatball's contract as well

It could just be that they are gonna do exactly what they said......resign their own....maybe a FA like Kerley......and replacements on D coming in the draft

The Offense returns nearly in tact from last year and was improved