Bills fire DL coach Karl Dunbar

CNY315

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears Rex is attempting to pass the buck for his own defensive failings.

As has been stated. Its a little late for scapegoating. If you wanted to pass the buck, you do it right away in the offseason; not sit on it for a couple months. Whatever the reason, scapegoating seems unlikely.

I'm fine with it as it seems like it should have happened after the season. I can buy he was unsure and possibly something happened. While Rex is at the top and gets the blame I would think the DL coach has some part in the down season for the DL.

While I question the timing, better late than never.

Now that sounds interesting. Anyone know if this is actually a possibility?

Pettine said after he got fired that he wanted to take the year off from coaching. No doubt needed a little time off after 2 years of Johnny and Jimmy.

Otherwise, if he changed his mind since then, I don't know why it wouldn't be a possibility outside of just pride in going from HC to Position coach. That said, they could make him AHC/DL coach and pay him a lot. I think there are other teams that have more than one AHC on same side of ball (Rob Ryan Already being one). Not sure if there are any rules of how many you can have per team. It's just a salary justifier IMO.

Now, there were also reports that Pettine and Rex's HC/DC relationship didn't end on the finest of notes in NY. And that he was a narc, etc. So who knows.

Edited by YoloinOhio

just curious, when did he say he was disappointed? Clearly something happened with Dunbar this year, but it was obvious IMO that Rex would have made him his DL coach when he came here since he has been with him since 2012. I would have been surprised if he kept pepper over Dunbar who was at the time pretty highly regarded. I guess I wouldn't have expected to stay if I was Pepper.

Now, though, he may instead be left out of a job completely. Johnson said he was told by Rex Ryan, the new Bills coach, that a job would be waiting for him on Ryans staff if things didnt work out with the Giants. Johnson said he spoke to Ryan about that as recently as Wednesday. But on Thursday, the Bills announced Ryans new staff and there was no mention of Johnson. And even though Johnson is technically still under contract in Buffalo, it appeared that every defensive job on the staff was filled.

That was a quote from an article I just pulled...I remember reading a cpl things about he had a job here, then he didn't

Now, though, he may instead be left out of a job completely. Johnson said he was told by Rex Ryan, the new Bills coach, that a job would be waiting for him on Ryans staff if things didnt work out with the Giants. Johnson said he spoke to Ryan about that as recently as Wednesday. But on Thursday, the Bills announced Ryans new staff and there was no mention of Johnson. And even though Johnson is technically still under contract in Buffalo, it appeared that every defensive job on the staff was filled.

That was a quote from an article I just pulled...I remember reading a cpl things about he had a job here, then he didn't

i remember that now, thanks. It is almost like the Schwartz situation in a way though. New HC comes in and is going to want to bring his own staff, but the team doesn't really want to "fire" certain coaches still under contract, especially those who had performed well on Marrone's staff. They probably figured they would elect to leave on their own once the new staff got there. If pepper hadn't gone to the jets, it's possible he would have had a job here as co- DL coach or something. Kind of like Tim McDonald who Rex brought from NY and Donnie Henderson. I don't think they would have fired Pepper if he didn't leave but that's just IMO. He would have had a role somewhere but maybe not sole DL coach.

In other news, this is the first time I have heard the name Karl Dunbar.

then who were you blaming for the D line ?

Yep. Maybe Rex fired him because Rex is an idiot. Or maybe he just learned something unfortunate about Dunbar (drug use, alcoholism, or something like that). Or maybe he discovered that Dunbar was working against him behind his back. Or maybe a better DL coach just became available and Rex needed to make room on the staff. Or maybe Dunbar had health issues he needed to address - but wasn't - so Rex wanted to force his hand. Or maybe Dunbar just got into a fist fight with Rex's brother and one of them had to go. Or maybe...

We have no idea what's behind this decision so I don't know how any of us can soundly pass judgment.

this. for now at least

Pettine said after he got fired that he wanted to take the year off from coaching. No doubt needed a little time off after 2 years of Johnny and Jimmy.

Otherwise, if he changed his mind since then, I don't know why it wouldn't be a possibility outside of just pride in going from HC to Position coach. That said, they could make him AHC/DL coach and pay him a lot. I think there are other teams that have more than one AHC on same side of ball (Rob Ryan Already being one). Not sure if there are any rules of how many you can have per team. It's just a salary justifier IMO.

Now, there were also reports that Pettine and Rex's HC/DC relationship didn't end on the finest of notes in NY. And that he was a narc, etc. So who knows.

I know I am tired but that line made me laugh...at least Pettine was fired and became a position coach..that has to be better than resigning as a head coach to become a position coach.

Pepper is the freaking man....

But I don't see how he comes back. IF he does maybe it's for huge $$ (relative to the position) but I doubt it at this point in the offseason.

You do NOT want to explain to Pepper why you're out there dogging it. The dude is intense and players respect him because of who he is.

It was noticable to me when Rex brought Dunbar and not Pepper. I expected it was that Johnson was looking to DC somewhere.

Funny how few of you know the line coaches and blame Rex for every nuance. Sure he is responsible , but he also has to trust his coaches to execute.

I am not surprised Dunbar is gone I was calling for his head mid season.

But i have no idea what was actually wrong. Seems he did not have control over his players though

6 pages for the firing of a coach who has never been mentioned here before!

bs i mentioned him plenty of times.

I know I am tired but that line made me laugh...at least Pettine was fired and became a position coach..that has to be better than resigning as a head coach to become a position coach.

i hope you can appreciate my restraint in not including the requisite Marrone snark! Edited by YoloinOhio

It was noticable to me when Rex brought Dunbar and not Pepper. I expected it was that Johnson was looking to DC somewhere.

Funny how few of you know the line coaches and blame Rex for every nuance. Sure he is responsible , but he also has to trust his coaches to execute.

I am not surprised Dunbar is gone I was calling for his head mid season.

But i have no idea what was actually wrong. Seems he did not have control over his players though

bs i mentioned him plenty of times.

This.

The loudest grumbling came from Mario on the DL, Dunbar, not Rex, would have been tasked with getting the DL to understand what they're supposed to do - - Or it would have been Dunbar's job to go to Rex and explain the DL guys want to play the Defense differently.

This.

The loudest grumbling came from Mario on the DL, Dunbar, not Rex, would have been tasked with getting the DL to understand what they're supposed to do - - Or it would have been Dunbar's job to go to Rex and explain the DL guys want to play the Defense differently.

And even if Rex said NO i will not sway from my process. It was still Karl's task to get them to own up to the job.

Now lets talk about the linebackers shall we ?

Rex is learning about loyalty VS. success.

Let him learn. Sooner the better

Rex is learning about loyalty VS. success.

Let him learn. Sooner the better

I agree but even if he learns fast he still needs to learn about antiquated defensive strategy vs. success, buffoonery vs. success, nepotism vs. success, clock management vs. success, timely play calling vs. success, and many other factors.

Sounds like he will fit right in with the Ryans...

"In 2010, Blake resigned from North Carolina in the midst of an investigation into players' relationships with agent Gary Wichard,[4] who died of pancreatic cancer in 2011.[5] At the time, Blake was suspected of being an employee and receiving cash benefits from Wichard.[4] On March 12, 2012, the NCAA announced that Blake had received a three-year show-cause penalty, which effectively barred him from college coaching during that period. The NCAA determined that Blake had received personal loans from Wichard and failed to disclose them to UNC, and also misled NCAA investigators.["

Essentially it says "WTF Rex!?!"

Supposedly it comes straight from his agent.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that he got fired on Dareus's birthday.

I would have no reservation if Dareus got to **** can a guy on his big day as part of his contract.

John Blake used to be my neighbor in Durham -- right during the time of the scandal...despite all surrounding him a really fun person to talk football with and genuinely cordial. If it means anything -- the Cowboys basically hired him the day he was available...

Not sure I wouldn't do some of the same things he did for his kids at Carolina money wise. The academic cheating stuff and the over the top stuff with cars, etc. was clearly bad judgement.

Edited by JoeF

John Blake used to be my neighbor in Durham -- right during the time of the scandal...despite all surrounding him a really fun person to talk football with and genuinely cordial. If it means anything -- the Cowboys basically hired him the day he was available...

Not sure I wouldn't do some of the same things he did for his kids at Carolina money wise. The academic cheating stuff and the over the top stuff with cars, etc. was clearly bad judgement.

im not close to the team, but it was widely believed around here that he took the fall for Butch Davis. Followed it pretty closely since it was around the same time as the NCAA investigation of Tressel.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/10/26/john-blake