Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

In our (fans) defense...we were coming off a season with a very good defense and hired one the better defensive coaches in the league.....I think we had good reason to get hyped up.......

I suppose Nucci. But being a Buffalo Bills fan for many years we should know better by now.

Was not a Ryan fan. but i too got caught up in the hype machine and started thinking, if only the Offense can be mediocre...

Who would have guessed it would play as it did...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our (fans) defense...we were coming off a season with a very good defense and hired one the better defensive coaches in the league.....I think we had good reason to get hyped up.......

There was certainly reason to think the Bills would be above average and make the playoffs, but there was a lot of over the top exuberance as well. A lot of that was fueled by Rex and his nature. But some of us were more realistic even if not totally correct about the situation. I thought the defense would be a lot better than they were and I thought Rex would be a better coach than he was. I didn't think Tyrod would be as good as he was. Overall I thought the Bills would get 9 or 10 wins and potentially get a wildcard, but I didn't think they'd have any realistic chance to do much once in the playoffs. I didn't get too excited because I only see two reasons for that - a team with a shot at a championship or a team executing a plan to develop into a contender (which I wanted to see some proof of happening before jumping on the bandwagon). I'm not excited now because they currently aren't the former and I am going to need to see a dramatic chance in Rex's performance before I think the latter might be the case.

Edited by BarleyNY

No surprise. It takes a year or two to match personnel with scheme. I still think we bring in a few depth players and draft 1-2 guys that will step in as better scheme fits. Nothing here says Rex can't coach d.

This is simply wrong and in particular, about Ryan needing more than one year simply because he was hired by the NY Jets in 2009 and he took a defense that was around 18th in total defense and #29 against the pass. Then brought in a few players and transformed that pretty bad defense into #1 in the league. #1 against the pass and #8 against the run...IN ONE YEAR!

Now granted, as others have mentioned that Jim Schwartz stepped into a situation in 2014 that fitted the type of defense he was successful with in the past. The Bills lost some players that year and added some, as they lost Byrd, Carrington, Leonhard, Moats and brought in Spikes, Graham, Rivers.

Then in 2015, the Bills signed Carrington and lost Searcy, Dean, Spikes, Kiko. The additions this offseason were mostly for the offense. Taylor, Cogs, Felton, Harvin, Clay, Harvin, Simms and of course, Mr Meh and Shady in a trade.

The 2015 Buffalo Bills went into the 2015 season stating that they were built to win now and after that first game against the predicted SB winning Colts in which they destroyed vaunted QB Andrew Luck. It looked like Rex Ryan's prediction about his defense was coming true and Bills fans were delirious with the 27-14 beat down. Sacking Luck twice while putting endless pressure on him so that he threw two INT's. The Colts only attempted 17 rushes while asking Luck to throw 49 times into a very tough Bills defense.

Then for the very next game, the Bills defense played the exact opposite of what we all saw against the Colts. From the start of the game, the Buffalo secondary was playing 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage in a soft coverage scheme and the Bills dominant pass rushing front four were tasked to play a two-gap scheme to stop the run against Pats RB Dion Lewis, Brandon Bolden. The problem was that the Patriots had no intention of running the ball and instead Tom Brady set a historic Bills worst (in the 50 plus year history of the Buffalo Bills franchise) for allowing 466 yards passing from ole Tom while going 38 of 59 attempts. Damn, almost 60 pass attempts and the Bills looked so unprepared to face that up-tempo Patriots offense all game long.

So, the question is, what in thee hell happened to that defense from the week earlier and why didn't Rex Ryan blitz more often? 14 penalties on Buffalo for 140 yards. In a huge reversal, the Patriots sacked Tyrod Taylor 8 times while only allowing the Bills to get only two sacks and very little pressure on Brady.

So many mistakes in this game by Buffalo and the Bills defense looking so unprepared as if it looked like Ryan didn't even watch film of the previous Patriots game. All the Bills defense had to do was show up and once they stepped on the field they would magically be dominant enough to stomp Brady into submission...right?

Anyway, this is from a recap of the second game in which the Bills only had 5 penalties for 61 yards and they looked well prepared to play in this game.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/rex-ryan-bills-same-mistakes-as-jets/

I didnt realize that those two coaches were head coaches for the buffalo bills

Different HC's.....different DC's....different situation

Yes, three different DC's and when you look at them one was moderately successful, one was very successful and one failed.

All 3 had essentially the same personnel. One joined the team when the defense was downtrodden. He made it fun for the players and the fans. Couldn't stop the run, but, he was successful enough in his one year stint to land a HC gig. One joined when the defense was on the upswing. He made it fun for the players and the fans. He stopped the run and defended the pass. We was successful in his one year stint but he was fired by the incoming HC. The incoming HC took basically the same personnel grouping and turned it into a hot mess.

1 one year stints.

One turned things around to the good.

One built off of that turnaround and made things better.

One couldn't get plays or personnel groupings into the game on time.

I suppose Nucci. But being a Buffalo Bills fan for many years we should know better by now.

Was not a Ryan fan. but i too got caught up in the hype machine and started thinking, if only the Offense can be mediocre...

Who would have guessed it would play as it did...

Yeah, we should.....

So a player....who did not play well in the scheme his HC employed....left and talked doo doo about it

and you....who already had a pre conceived opinion about said HC now says that you had worst fears and this confirmed it.....because of course said player who was not resigned by the bills said so

ok?

whatever "pre-conceived" notions people had about Rex, is kind of besides the point after watching his dismal failure with the defense in 2015.

A very good read.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2016/3/11/11200722/nigel-bradham-buffalo-bills-personnel-didnt-match-rex-ryan-defense

This shows what i was afraid of. That the ultimate Jim Schwartz defensive scheme that made the Bills defense so dominant in 2014 was extinct in 2015 under Rex Ryan.

I always believe that Rex was a clown, along with his brother, and that he isn't head coach material.

I'm afraid to say this, but I feel like the defense will regress this year under Rex too until Rex is fired.

Why didn't we give J. Schwartz a head coaching offer he couldn't refuse? The defense was stellar. The offense was getting its feet wet.

Thats why we are the Bills...Browns. Dumb decisions. Schawrtz and Chan,would have worked fine.Even Fitz threw 31 tds under Chan last year.

Yeah, we should.....

But

Like every year I maintain hope :thumbsup:

whatever "pre-conceived" notions people had about Rex, is kind of besides the point after watching his dismal failure with the defense in 2015.

Some one else used the word Destroyed.

A bit extreme maybe ?

Thats why we are the Bills...Browns. Dumb decisions. Schawrtz and Chan,would have worked fine.Even Fitz threw 31 tds under Chan last year.

You saw the last Jests game didn't you Buffaloed ?

A very good read.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2016/3/11/11200722/nigel-bradham-buffalo-bills-personnel-didnt-match-rex-ryan-defense

This shows what i was afraid of. That the ultimate Jim Schwartz defensive scheme that made the Bills defense so dominant in 2014 was extinct in 2015 under Rex Ryan.

I always believe that Rex was a clown, along with his brother, and that he isn't head coach material.

I'm afraid to say this, but I feel like the defense will regress this year under Rex too until Rex is fired.

Why didn't we give J. Schwartz a head coaching offer he couldn't refuse? The defense was stellar. The offense was getting its feet wet.

Yes the underachieving twins will be back at the circus soon and the Bills will be rebillsing yet again..what a waste to draft and acquire players,train in a system and then dump them be cause some Trump like big mouth loser came to town and enchanted the new owners...oh well ESPEN beckons and Rex and his bro will probably have their own show..too bad Buddy's not alive he could join them...I predict Rex paper bags on the fans next year...Make the Bills Great Again!

This is not unusual for a guy to leave and poor mouth his former team. So be it. Have a good career elsewhere. Change is constant in the NFL. Every off season vets get cut or not resigned. You draft replacements and sign FAs. Life goes on but the pressure is on Rex to get into the play offs.

Shredded?

They didn't play well and gave up a huge 3rd and 22 late in the game when we needed a stop, but shredded? Lol no.

I remember the offense going 3 and out like 5 or 6 straight times in that game.

If that's the perceived low point, it speaks volumes to them being quite good

Yes, three different DC's and when you look at them one was moderately successful, one was very successful and one failed.

All 3 had essentially the same personnel. One joined the team when the defense was downtrodden. He made it fun for the players and the fans. Couldn't stop the run, but, he was successful enough in his one year stint to land a HC gig. One joined when the defense was on the upswing. He made it fun for the players and the fans. He stopped the run and defended the pass. We was successful in his one year stint but he was fired by the incoming HC. The incoming HC took basically the same personnel grouping and turned it into a hot mess.

1 one year stints.

Exceedingly well said. Thank you

1 one year stints.

Beer,

There is no disputing what you said there at all

I only say that because it happened you cant blow it up......because

- The bar was set exceptionally high

- It is not the norm for a scheme change to be extremely successful in its first year......as a matter of fact....it is COUPLED with the fact that the bar is exceptionally high. If our D would have been average in 2014 then nobody would have been looking at last years D they way they are now.

Gotta at least give Rex a chance to fix it

All this debate about Jim Schwartz, Mike Pettine, Rex Ryan and now former players bashing Rex on the way out the door is just ridiculous. If you really want a true measuring stick of progress, look at how the Bills D did against the mighty Patriots in their second matchup of the season last year. Brady was getting hammered all game long, the secondary had blanket coverage on their receivers and Brady had to throw the ball away a lot in that game. IMO, that's the best I've seen the Bills D play against the Patriots in many years. The way I look at it, give Rex all the tools he needs to be successful and let's see what he can do because so far when it came up against the ultimate measuring stick in the division, he's performed better than Pettine and Schwartz.

Pay attention. That was an intentional tear down and rebuild of Sabres' teams that were mired in mediocrity.

Pay attention... to the facts.

Mediocrity, huh. A team that the previous two years made the playoffs and was 1st and 3rd. No Pegula team has ever made the playoffs, and have since occupied the cellar as a hot mess. Kind of like what has happened to the Bills defense under Pegula.

2010 1st Northeast Playoffs

2011 3rd Northeast Playoffs

Pegula Purchase

2012 3rd Northeast

2013 5th Northeast

2014 8th Atlantic

2015 8th Atlantic

Pay attention... to the facts.

Mediocrity, huh. A team that the previous two years made the playoffs and was 1st and 3rd. No Pegula team has ever made the playoffs, and have since occupied the cellar as a hot mess. Kind of like what has happened to the Bills defense under Pegula.

2010 1st Northeast Playoffs

2011 3rd Northeast Playoffs

Pegula Purchase

2012 3rd Northeast

2013 5th Northeast

2014 8th Atlantic

2015 8th Atlantic

And the zenith for that squad was 2011, after Pegula, at the behest of his hockey people, tried to add the finishing touches to the core in the hopes of competing for a cup.

That group was done.

A full tear down and rebuild was in order. The Blackhawk model.

I can't believe you cite the Sabres not making the playoffs since they blew things up as an example of ineptitude. Very shortsighted, imo.

Right. Let's look at one game as opposed to a full season of work.

Makes perfect sense.[/quote

Let's see, there were players that were trying to get Rex fired so they could get Jim Schwartz brought back, Mariocre did a Haynesworth, Preston Brown was too slow at making calls which is why Manny Lawson started calling plays at the end of the season, as well as it took a long time for players to learn Rex's system.

But, since you just wanted to point out how I just mentioned "one game," that one team has only lost to the Bills three times since 2001 with one of those being a meaningless end of season game. That's the team the Bills need to be most concerned with beating if they really want to make the playoffs.