Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

Almost all rankings for defense and offense are done on a ypg basis.

Ranking by points is interesting though because it takes into account all offensive turnovers and special teams tds allowed. There is a flaw in any ranking system. For example NE and Indy with Peyton always were at the bottom of passing ypg against because teams threw so much against them to try and catch up. I just thought it was an interesting tidbit. Certainly points in the direction that maybe Rex's scheme isn't as outdated and terrible as some want to make it out to be.

That's why I include as many as possible. Because they are all flawed in some way. Choosing one exclusively to make any sort of point, besides the stat itself, is kinda useless.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We?

I try to rank defenses as comprehensively as possible. Because a defense #1 in yards allowed but #32 in points is not what I'd call a "top ten D." Bend but don't break vs. gambling and all that. Nuance. Fairness. Etc.

I disagree with this

You cherry pick stats every time some brings up the defensive rankings and say that THOSE are the ones that really count.

That is not how it is done.....

This does not mean that the 2014 defense was not better...it absolutely was. But the discreding of Rex in previous years is just....well bla

Edited by John from Hemet

I disagree with this

You cherry pick stats every time some brings up the defensive rankings and say that THOSE are the ones that really count.

That is not how it is done.....

This does not mean that the 2014 defense was not better...it absolutely was. But the discreding of Rex in previous years is just....well bla

Nah, I don't.