Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

A very good read.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2016/3/11/11200722/nigel-bradham-buffalo-bills-personnel-didnt-match-rex-ryan-defense

This shows what i was afraid of. That the ultimate Jim Schwartz defensive scheme that made the Bills defense so dominant in 2014 was extinct in 2015 under Rex Ryan.

I always believe that Rex was a clown, along with his brother, and that he isn't head coach material.

I'm afraid to say this, but I feel like the defense will regress this year under Rex too until Rex is fired.

Why didn't we give J. Schwartz a head coaching offer he couldn't refuse? The defense was stellar. The offense was getting its feet wet.

FWIW, Schwartz wanted the HC job, but was never offered it. He still wanted to stay though but Rex was mum the whole time about the DC position. He never met with Schwartz once. Not even to let him go.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree and from what I've read here is that he is the one who told the Pegula's to not let Rex Ryan leave the room after his interview. Meaning he is the one that thought that Rex Ryan should be the Buffalo Bills next head coach. The Pegula's are newbies to the NFL world and sitting home or at games watching is a far cry from actually being in the business for years, and years.

Brandon is also the one who flew to NYC with Whaley to interview and to hire Mike Pettine. Pretty sure his hand was in the Doug Marrone hiring and probably the Jim Schwartz hiring. What's interesting is that before he hired Marrone he was talking about hiring Ken Whisenhunt.

We watched for 50 plus years as the last owner had his hands heavily involved in every aspect of the team and there have only been a few times in the history of the franchise when the owner took a step back and let someone else run the team. Those times are when he hired Tom Donahoe as team president and when he asked the current CEO to take over running the team the last few years of his life.

Russ Brandon should have more than enough on his plate in running both the Bills and Sabres that he doesn't need to be in the football operations loop and because he is still in that loop he is blocking the owners from hiring someone who actually knows how to build a winning football team. This franchise needs an experienced NFL football man as team president as the last word to take the owners and CEO out of the football operations loop. JMO

I think Whaley is qualified to run the football operations. i just don't think he had final say on Marrone or Ryan and maybe would not have hired either

I don't know if Schwartz would have wanted to play under Ryan, but there was no way in hell he was going to stay coach under him.

They interviewed Schwartz a week before they hired Ryan. During his interview for the HC job, Schwartz made it crystal clear he was not interesting in staying for anything less than the HC position. Whaley and the Pegulas were keenly interested in retaining Schwartz as DC in the event they offered the HC job to someone else, but Schwartz simply wasn't interested.

GO BILLS!!!

sometimes thats a tightrope balancing act - as the interviewee you dont want to say "oh yea, you still get my services even if you dont give me what i want"

if the right fit would have come along for him, might he have considered DC? i think there is an outside chance even if taking your story as fact. under rex? no way.

I don't recall that being reported either. You should produce a link if you're certain it's happened.

i never saw "intentional tank to get schwartz back" either.

FWIW, Schwartz wanted the HC job, but was never offered it. He still wanted to stay though but Rex was mum the whole time about the DC position. He never met with Schwartz once. Not even to let him go.

please see K-9's post which details what happened with Schwartz. He did not "want to stay" as DC. And if your source is correct that Rex never met with him, that's probably why.

The problem is the Bills fron office went all in to win in 2015. They used up their salary cap wiggle room to upgrade the offense, taking several chances, and most of them worked out. But Wrecks wasn't all in to win in 2015. He was in to install his 2010 or so Jets defense. The dominant defense Pettine and Schwartz built didn't fit, so Wrecks used 2015 as preseason to find players to fit his system. The offense did get better but the defense is now in free fall, and by the time Wrecks gets the players he wants, if he isn't fired first, Kyle Williams will join Mario Williams as ex-Bills (Kyle will retire), Gilmore will be gone due to someone else paying insane money for a good CB, and we'll be back to a couple of good players with a ton of mediocrity holding them back. In other words, just what we've gotten used to over the past decades, with rare flashes of excellence.

We had our chance, last year, and the arrogance of Wrecks pissed it away.

New offense, qb with zero nfl starts, new TE, rb, lg, rookie rg and you're saying "we had our chance". That kind of implies we had one last year to do it before we break up the team.

Losing a cancer like mario and a slow LB like bradham only makes us better, and year 2 of this offense should win us at least a game or two more next season.

New offense, qb with zero nfl starts, new TE, rb, lg, rookie rg and you're saying "we had our chance". That kind of implies we had one last year to do it before we break up the team.

Losing a cancer like mario and a slow LB like bradham only makes us better, and year 2 of this offense should win us at least a game or two more next season.

I'd love to hear the explanation behind how losing a starter makes us better.

Good points with the exception of Bradham who isn't slow at all.

He is not slow...but I would say the knock on him is he also doesnt read defenses well.....overpursues....and often gets out of position......all BAD things in a Rex Ryan defense

He does hit like a truck

I would have liked to see him come back in order to see him play a 2nd year in the scheme with better understanding and communication of roles and responsibilities on the field. Might have been a different story. Oh well, we'll never know now.

I would have liked to see him come back in order to see him play a 2nd year in the scheme with better understanding and communication of roles and responsibilities on the field. Might have been a different story. Oh well, we'll never know now.

nope we won't. , i felt the same way. he might have settled in. The kid had 16 defensive coordinators in four years. Would have liked to see a second year of him under Rex.

But i think his best fit is with Jim in Philly

sometimes thats a tightrope balancing act - as the interviewee you dont want to say "oh yea, you still get my services even if you dont give me what i want"

if the right fit would have come along for him, might he have considered DC? i think there is an outside chance even if taking your story as fact. under rex? no way.

i never saw "intentional tank to get schwartz back" either.

Who knows how he would have felt if a better fit came along, we will never know. But before RR ever entered the picture, before his first sip of wine on the yacht down in FLA, Schwartz interviewed for the HC job and was asked if he'd be interested in remaining as DC if the job were offered to someone else. He said no, he was only interested in staying as HC. We can engage in endless speculation if anyone other than RR was hired. In the meantime, there is what he told the people who were interested in retaining him at the time.

GO BILLS!!

I made this post for the Rex sucks thread but it got locked before I finished and this looks as good a place as any to put it....

Interesting Rex fact and his outdated scheme

In 2014 his D finished 19th. Pats* and the genius 9th.

In 2014 his D finished 6th. Pats* and the genius 13th.

In 2013 his D finished 11th. Pats* and the genius 26th.
In 2012 his D finished 8th. Pats* and the genius 25th.
In 2011 his D finished 5th. Pats* and the genius 31st.
In 2010 his D finished 3rd. Pats* and the genius 25th.
In 2009 his D finished 1st. Pats* and the genius 11th.
So his outdated scheme in the last 7 seasons has been outside the top 10 twice and been outranked by the defensive genius BB once. Perhaps some patience to let the guy run his scheme (fully pregnant if you will) we can expect some success.

I made this post for the Rex sucks thread but it got locked before I finished and this looks as good a place as any to put it....

Interesting Rex fact and his outdated scheme

In 2014 his D finished 19th. Pats* and the genius 9th.

In 2014 his D finished 6th. Pats* and the genius 13th.

In 2013 his D finished 11th. Pats* and the genius 26th.
In 2012 his D finished 8th. Pats* and the genius 25th.

In 2011 his D finished 5th. Pats* and the genius 31st.
In 2010 his D finished 3rd. Pats* and the genius 25th.
In 2009 his D finished 1st. Pats* and the genius 11th.
So his outdated scheme in the last 7 seasons has been outside the top 10 twice and been outranked by the defensive genius BB once. Perhaps some patience to let the guy run his scheme (fully pregnant if you will) we can expect some success.

Ranked in what?

Oh heeeeeeeeeere we go.

Same measurement we use to throw around the "4" from 2014.

We?

I try to rank defenses as comprehensively as possible. Because a defense #1 in yards allowed but #32 in points is not what I'd call a "top ten D." Bend but don't break vs. gambling and all that. Nuance. Fairness. Etc.

Edited by FireChan

We?

I try to rank defenses as comprehensively as possible. Because a defense #1 in yards allowed but #32 in points is not what I'd call a "top ten D." Bend but don't break vs. gambling and all that. Nuance. Fairness. Etc.

Almost all rankings for defense and offense are done on a ypg basis.

Ranking by points is interesting though because it takes into account all offensive turnovers and special teams tds allowed. There is a flaw in any ranking system. For example NE and Indy with Peyton always were at the bottom of passing ypg against because teams threw so much against them to try and catch up. I just thought it was an interesting tidbit. Certainly points in the direction that maybe Rex's scheme isn't as outdated and terrible as some want to make it out to be.