Duffs

Gordio

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep frying is easy. Problem with wing places is dropping order after order of wings and fries into deepfryer lowers the temp of the oil. Colder oil means soggy, greasy food. In an ideal world they would wait for oil temp to come back up to optimal 350-375. When you've got a bar full of people who are ALL ordering wings, theres a trade off and you have to choose between letting people wait for 90 minutes or delivering a compromised product in a timely manner.

Something I've noticed a lot of places do that is also a sin to making good wings is frying them from frozen! Not only are they dropping the temp incredibly quickly, but they're also more moisture an already bad start and the wings have no way to crisp because of all the moisture trapped in the skin.

I thaw mine the night before and let them air dry in the fridge on a cookie rack and that really helps.

Something I've noticed a lot of places do that is also a sin to making good wings is frying them from frozen! Not only are they dropping the temp incredibly quickly, but they're also more moisture an already bad start and the wings have no way to crisp because of all the moisture trapped in the skin.

I thaw mine the night before and let them air dry in the fridge on a cookie rack and that really helps.

Try steaming them for 10 minutes once thawed, then putting them in fridge for an hour. Using this method from Alton Brown, you can actually put them in oven at 425 for 40 minutes and achieve a close to fry state. Not quite there, but close enough if you want to avoid the frying. The steaming renders a food bit of fat out of the skin, allowing it to get crispier and taking the smoke away from your kitchen.

anchor bar is better than duffs. but local pubs and bars are always the best to go.

honestly, some of the best wings i've ever had is at a little baitshop/fuel/tamarac on high rock lake. they're amazing.

So I still stand by Bar Bill as the best wings I've ever had. I do want to try the others on Bandito's list.

Bar-Bill used to have buy one get one. I used to live right down the road from there. The bill is too popular I guess now

^^^This! I'm very picky about where I get my wings from, but every one in a while when traveling for work I'll get that wing craving and I will cave. I can tell immediately when places do this. One of the best things I've found for making wings at home is the fresh not frozen wings from Costco. They're packaged as a 6 pack of individual servings of about a dozen wings each. They're a bit on the small side but the taste of the fresh wings really stands out.

Duff's on Sheridan is strange. I always go late an hour or so before they close and they are always amazing. The one time I got them during the rush, they were awful. Bar Bill cooks their wings perfect every time but not a fan of the sauce/rub. Snyder Bar and Grill is an awesome neighborhood place

Try steaming them for 10 minutes once thawed, then putting them in fridge for an hour. Using this method from Alton Brown, you can actually put them in oven at 425 for 40 minutes and achieve a close to fry state. Not quite there, but close enough if you want to avoid the frying. The steaming renders a food bit of fat out of the skin, allowing it to get crispier and taking the smoke away from your kitchen.

Interesting idea. I think I posted in another thread a while ago that I've started grilling my wings when we make them at home. Frying is too much of a hassle and the place stinks. Grill them for a good long time and while you don't have the "fried" crispiness you can get a nice crust to then toss in your favorite sauce -- or sometimes we marinate them ahead of time.

Interesting idea. I think I posted in another thread a while ago that I've started grilling my wings when we make them at home. Frying is too much of a hassle and the place stinks. Grill them for a good long time and while you don't have the "fried" crispiness you can get a nice crust to then toss in your favorite sauce -- or sometimes we marinate them ahead of time.

As you say a different process but I like grilling them also. This adds a smoky flavor. Frying at home in the house is just too messy and smelly.

Bar-Bill used to have buy one get one. I used to live right down the road from there. The bill is too popular I guess now

I don't know (I really don't, as I'm not a local), but it seems - when my wife and I go each year - that the crowd is primarily made up of locals. Sure, there's normally a small wait to be seated, but just looking around, I'd say the crowd is at least 80% locals.

I don't know (I really don't, as I'm not a local), but it seems - when my wife and I go each year - that the crowd is primarily made up of locals. Sure, there's normally a small wait to be seated, but just looking around, I'd say the crowd is at least 80% locals.

it's interesting that you're able to perceive localness just by looking at someone. What else are you able to discern at first glance, oh perceptive one?

pretty much. But it is getting more popular. IIRC last year there Beef on Weck was named one of the 5 best sandwhiches in the US. By someone. That drew some attention. last year when the pats*** were in town we went to lunch there early on Saturday 11:30 AM no line seated outside. perfect. By the time we left there was probably a wait of a half hour to just get to the bar. Now I cannot go to Buffalo without hitting it up at least once.

really does work well. Not as good as fried..but way less messy and way less bad for you! As someone else mentioned, i use the costco fresh wings, and they work well. directions here.The parchment paper is essential BTW

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe.html

BTW, here is a great recipe for grilled. I think you should have Tessame in Raleigh, in the refrigerated section of store near the prepared salads. all of their dressings are fantastic.

http://www.tessemaes.com/blogs/blog/15336057-lemon-chesapeake-wings

Some excellent insights here, folks. Thanks!

As for the escalating prices, I'm so old,(How old ARE you, Chandler?)I remember nickel wing night on Tuesday's at a couple NT Oliver Street bars.. Dem wuz da days!

I am so old, i remember every pizza place in the falls delivered 50 wings for $5.00 growing up.

Edited by plenzmd1