Duffs

Gordio

It's amazing that there is such variety in chicken wings. There is not much to them if they are done traditionally. Therefore, in theory, there should be little reason for distance from the mean.

I've only had rubbery, flaccid skin, undercooked disappointment from Duffs. Maybe they were well cooked before being submerged in vinegary sauce such that you have to go bobbing for wings. More likely, I was there at peak hours and they were never cooked well to begin with.

Deep frying is easy. Problem with wing places is dropping order after order of wings and fries into deepfryer lowers the temp of the oil. Colder oil means soggy, greasy food. In an ideal world they would wait for oil temp to come back up to optimal 350-375. When you've got a bar full of people who are ALL ordering wings, theres a trade off and you have to choose between letting people wait for 90 minutes or delivering a compromised product in a timely manner. At my favorite wing place back home (Richmond's) I've noticed it on many nights. Crowded nights, your mileage may vary. A quiet Tuesday night and they're about as good as it gets.

I think the above accounts for some of the discrepancy in quality. After moving to Texas I've also learned that some people just don't know wtf they're doing with wings.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only had rubbery, flaccid skin, undercooked disappointment from Duffs. Maybe they were well cooked before being submerged in vinegary sauce such that you have to go bobbing for wings. More likely, I was there at peak hours and they were never cooked well to begin with.

Deep frying is easy. Problem with wing places is dropping order after order of wings and fries into deepfryer lowers the temp of the oil. Colder oil means soggy, greasy food. In an ideal world they would wait for oil temp to come back up to optimal 350-375. When you've got a bar full of people who are ALL ordering wings, theres a trade off and you have to choose between letting people wait for 90 minutes or delivering a compromised product in a timely manner. At my favorite wing place back home (Richmond's) I've noticed it on many nights. Crowded nights, your mileage may vary. A quiet Tuesday night and they're about as good as it gets.

I think the above accounts for some of the discrepancy in quality. After moving to Texas I've also learned that some people just don't know wtf they're doing with wings.

This is spot on about the oil.

Also, it is really easy to tell when a restaurant pre-cooks their wings and then flash fry's them. That is one of the biggest sins of all. They end up shriveled and dry like an old ladies $%#@

Duff's is hit and miss.

The best places (IMO) for wings are (in no discerning order):

Elmo's

Bar Bill

Gabriel's Gate

Nine-Eleven

Can't go wrong with any of them.

How good is Nine-Eleven? They are like three streets from my house but I haven't been there yet.

Understand and agree with the fryer temperature comments. However, a place like Duffs that presents itself as the premier wing joint should have the ability to plan for peek capacity on their fryers. There is also a lot to be said for a business that holds to a quality standard and organizes their process to hold to it. Look what happens when you don't. You get internet threads telling everyone that your product sucks.

I can believe bad wings. I cant believe someone starts a written sentence with "So".

BTW I've always favored Brennans wings. If you're ever in Western Broward try the Quarterdecks wings.

Oh yeah! Literally, one of the nastiest smells in the world is a case of chicken wings that have gone bad. :sick:

Duff's is hit and miss.

The best places (IMO) for wings are (in no discerning order):

Elmo's

Bar Bill

Gabriel's Gate

Nine-Eleven

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Elmo's and the Gate are fantastic. Bar Bill cooks their wings beautifully but I'm not a fan of their medium sauce.

Anyone ever take a girl or wife out and they order old bay wings ?

Wtf is that ? It's buffalo, garlic parm, and an occasional spicy BBQ for me. Bleu cheese is definitely a major factor as well.

It does bring up another fundamental problem with a lot of wing joints and that is their inability to scale the hotness levels appropriately.

True. Big problem down in VA. I've had mild wings that burn my lips off. Can't trust them w the hot. Edited by Ryan L Billz

i've often made wings using walkers wood jamaican jerk seasoning....probably my favorite seasoning!!!

Wtf is that ? It's buffalo, garlic parm, and an occasional spicy BBQ for me. Bleu cheese is definitely a major factor as well. True. Big problem down in VA. I've had mild wings that burn my lips off. Can't trust them w the hot.

Wtf is that ? It's buffalo, garlic parm, and an occasional spicy BBQ for me. Bleu cheese is definitely a major factor as well. True. Big problem down in VA. I've had mild wings that burn my lips off. Can't trust them w the hot.

Wuss.

Elmo's and the Gate are fantastic. Bar Bill cooks their wings beautifully but I'm not a fan of their medium sauce.

I grew up 5 minutes from Elmo's, so they'll always be my #1.

Can't ever pass up a double order split between Cajun and Honey Mustard.

That is one of the biggest sins of all. They end up shriveled and dry like an old ladies $%#@

How did you draw this analogy? Have you been shopping in the senior citizens department lately?

Duffs, and its probably 10 years since I been there, a soupy sloppy mess, they just make them hotter than anyone else. Virtually any corner pizzeria is better. Still that is personal taste. Seems wings have gotten REALLY expensive over the last few years too

Many people mentioned BarBills. Try Wallenweins at the other end of East Aurora for beef on weck. BB's has great food, terrible service. Seems they bring out servings one at a time rather than the whole table. The last time I was there, they never bring out my order, but later show up with the bill to pay, believe it or not. So they bag the order and insist I pay for it. NFW!