Duffs

Gordio

Okay so my friend work gave me 2 tickets to the UB Basketball game last night. So I went home from work, picked up my son & off we went. We didn't have dinner so my son who loves Duff's wanted to stop there. I try to stay away from the greasy food during the week & try to eat healthy but I thought yeah what the heck. So we get there, the place is pretty packed for a Tuesday night. We get seated & we order a triple order of wings. My son likes them mild so we got them mild. I had a pepsi, he had a loganberry. Anybody that thinks Duffs wings are good I dont know what to say. These were horrible. I could think of 10 other places right off the top of my head that have better wings than Duffs. Honestly I really don't know how they get mentioned anytime someone brings up the best wing places to go in WNY. + they are overpriced. I get the bill, for a triple order of wings & two drinks I eneded up paying $45. We should of tried Anchor Bar across the street. Probably would of been still as pricey but at least they would of been better is my guess(haven't been to Anchor Bar in over 10 years, can't remember how their wings are.

As far as the UB game, they dropped a bad one to the worst team in the conference(Miami of Ohio) on senior night. I have been to 4 or 5 games UB games this year & I got to say I really don't like their coach. I have sat right behind the bench 2 times now & him & this older guy who I believe is his top assistant are always bitching at the players, bitching at the ref. UB from my perspective doesn't have one guy on their team that wants/likes to bang inside. They are all content to chuck up 23 ft 3 pointers. They must of shot 30 3 pointers yesterday. Shot themselves right out of the game in the second half when they had a 7 point lead. Not good going into the MAC tourney next week.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to Duff's. It was on my list of places to go when we're there for the opener, but I took it off of my list after reading a review from Beerball. We did Anchor a few years ago and they were very good - but it's mayhem in there.

Then I took a tip from (I believe) Bandit, and tried the Bar Bill Tavern. That has become our go to place for wings ever since. Great atmosphere. PHENOMENAL wings and we always split a beef on weck, which is also phenomenal. The prices are great, the service is great. We have no interest in going anywhere else for wings and I don't foresee that changing.

Thanks for completely solidifying the fact that I won't go to Duff's.

I actually had a good experience the last time I went to Duffs three years ago (albeit it was the Eastern Hills Mall location). They were crispy, plenty of sauce, not drowning in it, but a good amount. Could have been an off night, or maybe the cook sucks. Specifically what was wrong, bad taste, rubbery, too much sauce?

I will admit an old high school friend who lives in the south towns met us there, so we were so busy catching up, the wings were pretty much a secondary concern, but still, I had enjoyed my trip. To each his own though. Sorry you didn't like 'em.

The problem is you ordered mild wings. I have never had a good "mild wing" ANYWHERE and all sorts of compromises have to be made to make a wing sauce without any/very little heat. It's impossible to get a proper balance in terms of texture and flavor. Some places the sauce is too thin and doesn't stick to the wings, others the wing sauce is too greasy/buttery and you get this hot mess of split wing sauce and finally to counter the other two problems places load up on BBQ sauce in the mixture to cut down on the heat and increase the viscosity of the sauce...another no no.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

As far as the UB game, they dropped a bad one to the worst team in the conference(Miami of Ohio) on senior night. I have been to 4 or 5 games UB games this year & I got to say I really don't like their coach. I have sat right behind the bench 2 times now & him & this older guy who I believe is his top assistant are always bitching at the players, bitching at the ref. UB from my perspective doesn't have one guy on their team that wants/likes to bang inside. They are all content to chuck up 23 ft 3 pointers. They must of shot 30 3 pointers yesterday. Shot themselves right out of the game in the second half when they had a 7 point lead. Not good going into the MAC tourney next week.

The Bulls would be the top team in the MAC with Evans and Moss, sucks they couldn't afford Hurley! As for the coaches, not that it's the one in which you are referring to, they have two of the best college basketball players of all time on the staff, Donyell Marshall and Julius Hodge...

As for the wings, I like Duff's, but I only get the suicide. My go to wing places are the Amherst Ale House, Elmo's, and Just Pizza...

The problem is you ordered mild wings. I have never had a good "mild wing" ANYWHERE and all sorts of compromises have to be made to make a wing sauce without any/very little heat. It's impossible to get a proper balance in terms of texture and flavor. Some places the sauce is too thin and doesn't stick to the wings, others the wing sauce is too greasy/buttery and you get this hot mess of split wing sauce and finally to counter the other two problems places load up on BBQ sauce in the mixture to cut down on the heat and increase the viscosity of the sauce...another no no.

Your comment on mild wings I think is dead on. As for Duffs and to a lesser degree the anchor bar. They are know more like tourist traps than places anyone local would ever go. The corner bars in Buffalo are way better if you know the right ones. La Nova still is pretty good. Bill bar is awesome. But on game weekends agan their clientele is more touristy so get them while you can. Their beef on weck for now IMO is the best in town.As for the price that is nationwide now. Wings are the most expensive part of the chicken.We paid $5 a pound for supermarket wings to cook for the stuporbowl. maybe it's because for now I don't live in the US We live in Florida just south.

Okay so my friend work gave me 2 tickets to the UB Basketball game last night. So I went home from work, picked up my son & off we went. We didn't have dinner so my son who loves Duff's wanted to stop there. I try to stay away from the greasy food during the week & try to eat healthy but I thought yeah what the heck. So we get there, the place is pretty packed for a Tuesday night. We get seated & we order a triple order of wings. My son likes them mild so we got them mild. I had a pepsi, he had a loganberry. Anybody that thinks Duffs wings are good I dont know what to say. These were horrible. I could think of 10 other places right off the top of my head that have better wings than Duffs. Honestly I really don't know how they get mentioned anytime someone brings up the best wing places to go in WNY. + they are overpriced. I .

This post gets 5 stars.

same deal here in the philly area for cheesesteaks. Pat's and Gino's are the touristy places, little hole in the wall places are where the real sammiches are

Your comment on mild wings I think is dead on. As for Duffs and to a lesser degree the anchor bar. They are know more like tourist traps than places anyone local would ever go. The corner bars in Buffalo are way better if you know the right ones. La Nova still is pretty good. Bill bar is awesome. But on game weekends agan their clientele is more touristy so get them while you can. Their beef on weck for now IMO is the best in town.As for the price that is nationwide now. Wings are the most expensive part of the chicken.We paid $5 a pound for supermarket wings to cook for the stuporbowl. maybe it's because for now I don't live in the US We live in Florida just south.

It's amazing that there is such variety in chicken wings. There is not much to them if they are done traditionally. Therefore, in theory, there should be little reason for distance from the mean.

In theory yes, give me a crispy wing with a little butter and Frank's red hot and I'll probably be happy.

So many places don't cook them long enough imo.

All fast food pizza chains should be smacked for what they call wings.

Agree to disagree with the "mild" wing sentiment. I love spicy food and some places mild wings are hot.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

definitely a good choice

LIved in southern jersey for three long years. I tried a bunch of the cheesesteak places.

In theory yes, give me a crispy wing with a little butter and Frank's red hot and I'll probably be happy.

Agree to disagree with the "mild" wing sentiment. I love spicy food and some places mild wings are hot.

Five extra minutes does wonders. Rubber wings just plain suck

see i'm in the opposite camp. I don't like them crispy. granted i don't want them undercooked, but a nice juicy hot wing with good chunky bleu cheese is awesome

see i'm in the opposite camp. I don't like them crispy. granted i don't want them undercooked, but a nice juicy hot wing with good chunky bleu cheese is awesome

It is my opinion that a decent wing does not need blue cheese. It's only there for the celery. I like a somewhat crispy skin on my wings, but not so crispy that the meat has been dried out.

i agree it doesn't NEED bleu cheese, much like a hamburger doesn't NEED bacon, it's just good! Hell, i use the scraped chicken bones to scoop up the rest of the bleu cheese

It is my opinion that a decent wing does not need blue cheese. It's only there for the celery. I like a somewhat crispy skin on my wings, but not so crispy that the meat has been dried out.

i agree it doesn't NEED bleu cheese, much like a hamburger doesn't NEED bacon, it's just good! Hell, i use the scraped chicken bones to scoop up the rest of the bleu cheese

I do the same!

I've never been to Duff's. It was on my list of places to go when we're there for the opener, but I took it off of my list after reading a review from Beerball. We did Anchor a few years ago and they were very good - but it's mayhem in there.

Then I took a tip from (I believe) Bandit, and tried the Bar Bill Tavern. That has become our go to place for wings ever since. Great atmosphere. PHENOMENAL wings and we always split a beef on weck, which is also phenomenal. The prices are great, the service is great. We have no interest in going anywhere else for wings and I don't foresee that changing.

Thanks for completely solidifying the fact that I won't go to Duff's.

Funny you mention Bar Bill. As we were walking to our car I told my son next time we go out for wings we are going to Bar Bills(he has never been there but it is the best food around).

I actually had a good experience the last time I went to Duffs three years ago (albeit it was the Eastern Hills Mall location). They were crispy, plenty of sauce, not drowning in it, but a good amount. Could have been an off night, or maybe the cook sucks. Specifically what was wrong, bad taste, rubbery, too much sauce?

I will admit an old high school friend who lives in the south towns met us there, so we were so busy catching up, the wings were pretty much a secondary concern, but still, I had enjoyed my trip. To each his own though. Sorry you didn't like 'em.

They were overcooked. I like them crispy but this was ridiculous. Plus they were small & I thought the bleu cheese sucked too. It was almost like mayonaise. Weird. This was the Eastern Hills Mall one too.

The Bulls would be the top team in the MAC with Evans and Moss, sucks they couldn't afford Hurley! As for the coaches, not that it's the one in which you are referring to, they have two of the best college basketball players of all time on the staff, Donyell Marshall and Julius Hodge...

As for the wings, I like Duff's, but I only get the suicide. My go to wing places are the Amherst Ale House, Elmo's, and Just Pizza...

You know it is funny you mentioned that because I thought that was Donyell Marshall on the sidelines. Hurley should of stayed one more year. He could landed in a softer place than Arizona St, which is a difficult place to win. (Just ask Herb Syndeck).