Mario Williams released

Classic release and replace in the draft. Classic drought. Classic Bills.

Pretty soon it will be Rex's 3rd season, then it will be classic new coaching hire. Rinse and repeat.

A great deal of you seemed to side with the Bills on this one. I am aware Mario had a sub par season, but he was the most talented player on the roster. Mario was in his 4th defensive scheme in 4 years with the team and before this season, he improved statistically each year. Rex Ryan is the difference here. Not Mario, or his attitude or whatever you want to call it. Drink up the koolaid, but this guy was an absolute stud at DE and will be very difficult, if not impossible to replace. We needed to build around our defensive line, but in classic Buffalo fashion, we let it crumble.

As a fan base, Buffalo has a hard time accepting it when talented players don't meet their lofty expectations. We love to vilify these players. We say that we need players with "heart"...and yet they have gotten us nowhere. We love our Kaletas, our Hogans, our Boobie Dixons, our Eric Woods, our every man that resembles us, and yet we lose constantly.

Obviously this move was expected, but for me, it symbolizes our dysfunctional front office. This is Rex's team now. He refused to adapt to his talent, he brought in his brother, and now he's releasing the players he refused to coach. It's only a matter of time until we sign Cromartie.

fridge... are you Mario's mini fridge? It talks!

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time a current Bill is let go or not resigned, many of you on this board lament to the nth degree how the sky is falling. The vitriol for the front office when Jairus Byrd was not resigned was off the charts. Well two years later, how is that working for the Saints? They had the worst Defense in the league last year-historically poor. Their secondary gave up the most TD passes in one season in league history. And Byrd (when he was healthy) was a big part of it.

As for Mario, his play was at best disinterested last year. At worst horrible and completely ineffective. Players making 20 mill per season are supposed to DOMINATE! Did not see that out of him last year. Or ever on a consistent basis. We will probably go DE in the first two rounds. And possibly sign a DE in free agency at a much better valued price.

He gave us some good games. But how many playoff appearances did we make with him? We can improve the D with much better fits at much better prices. And no, Nigel Bradham is not one of those fits either.

We are franchising Cordy-which is a good thing. Lets get Richie signed, and draft a right tackle in the first round. (Take Conklin if he is on the board, if not take Treadwell from Ole Miss) If neither is there, go with the best front 7 player still on the board. Get a few reasonably priced free agents for the D. And get the big RT and a big WR to play opposite Sammy. If Tyrod improves some, we will be a strong contender.

Had to happen. Even when the boss is wrong, even when the boss is a bloviated stubborn waste of oxygen, he's still the boss. Until he's not the boss anymore. The Bills are going to play a much tougher schedule next year, and will be lucky to be 7-9. Could be the last year for Wrecks, opening the door for Schwartz to come back at least as DC. Maybe they get the old gang back and show what they could have done had Wrecks not been such a disaster. So long, Mario, and maybe we'll see you back here in a while (for less money).

Pipe dream. Schwartz isn't leaving the Eagles job as DC to come back to the Bills in the same capacity.

Oh?

@josinaanderson

Mario Williams will have plenty of interest. He told me he's ready to produce for any team wanting a player with a fire lit in his belly.

yep the veteran league minimum, prove it in camp offers are flying in- show us that fire........cant really say hey if your looking for a selfish, number chasing, me first guy who could care less about winning im ready

Had to happen. Even when the boss is wrong, even when the boss is a bloviated stubborn waste of oxygen, he's still the boss. Until he's not the boss anymore. The Bills are going to play a much tougher schedule next year, and will be lucky to be 7-9. Could be the last year for Wrecks, opening the door for Schwartz to come back at least as DC. Maybe they get the old gang back and show what they could have done had Wrecks not been such a disaster. So long, Mario, and maybe we'll see you back here in a while (for less money).

Schwartz already has a job

Mario likely reworks his contract if Rex did not butcher the scheme where numerous D lineman had bad years. That said, Mario totally quit on the team and the fans who paid a lot to attend or watch the games. That is inexcusable.

I can feel the palpable rage. I can almost hear the angry pummeling of keyboard buttons

"So, Mario. How can we be sure you aren't the player we saw on tape last season?"

I would love to be there to hear him answer that. And make no mistake, he will be asked that question by every team he visits.

Once you add "quitter" to you film resume, it isn't easy to explain away.

GO BILLS!!!

I find it interesting that Whaley lumped Mario into his canned goodbye PR memo with Boobie Dixon and Kraig Urbik.

I know. Urbik and Dixon didn't deserve to be lumped in with a quitter.

GO BILLS!!!

Every time a current Bill is let go or not resigned, many of you on this board lament to the nth degree how the sky is falling. The vitriol for the front office when Jairus Byrd was not resigned was off the charts. Well two years later, how is that working for the Saints? They had the worst Defense in the league last year-historically poor. Their secondary gave up the most TD passes in one season in league history. And Byrd (when he was healthy) was a big part of it.

As for Mario, his play was at best disinterested last year. At worst horrible and completely ineffective. Players making 20 mill per season are supposed to DOMINATE! Did not see that out of him last year. Or ever on a consistent basis. We will probably go DE in the first two rounds. And possibly sign a DE in free agency at a much better valued price.

He gave us some good games. But how many playoff appearances did we make with him? We can improve the D with much better fits at much better prices. And no, Nigel Bradham is not one of those fits either.

We are franchising Cordy-which is a good thing. Lets get Richie signed, and draft a right tackle in the first round. (Take Conklin if he is on the board, if not take Treadwell from Ole Miss) If neither is there, go with the best front 7 player still on the board. Get a few reasonably priced free agents for the D. And get the big RT and a big WR to play opposite Sammy. If Tyrod improves some, we will be a strong contender.

Maybe the DC fired during the season played a part in the saints defensive collapse?

Cheerio Mario. I for one loved having you on this team for the first three years.

People will try and re-write history.... so let me re-post what I have posted elsewhere.... In the 2012-14 period, Mario's first 3 years in Buffalo the list of players with more sacks in the NFL is:

JJ Watt

Justin Houston

That's it.

The second half of last year he let himself down (watch the tape he was trying until the Jacksonville game he quit after that), but he was a damn good player for the Buffalo Bills. We will go a long way to find a better one.

Mario likely reworks his contract if Rex did not butcher the scheme where numerous D lineman had bad years. That said, Mario totally quit on the team and the fans who paid a lot to attend or watch the games. That is inexcusable.

B.S. He'd have reworked his contract if the Bills were willing to pay him a still-unaffordable #. There is only so big a haircut to an existing contract a guy's ego is going to accept. These long-term, $100MM deals rarely reach the end point due to escalating costs. And Glenn is a higher priority.

Good points by everyone -well, except fridge.. His undeniable apathy and lethargic play last season combined with his contract made this a Must. He'll still be effective and likely a producer if he's motivated, but that contract says Pro Bowl Player every year and a team leader in the locker room. If you're neither, it's foolish to keep you.

Overall, I'm bummed.. as usual.

Everyone is going to be ok.

I think the Bills will find a new productive member of the front four.

Mario will have a rebound year next year for another team.

In my opinion, this parting of the ways isn't a disaster for either side.

Everyone is going to be ok.

I think the Bills will find a new productive member of the front four.

Mario will have a rebound year next year for another team.

In my opinion, this parting of the ways isn't a disaster for either side.

Good opinion IMO of course.