Mario Williams released

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all--they'd have given him a new contract to lessen his cap hit.

there is no question Bills would have to rework that contract.

sometimes i wonder if that had been addressed and Mario shut it down because of that.

He did say early on that to pay him less would not fix the problem ( paraphrasing ) of course

The whole defense is a mess. I can't say I wouldn't be just as frustrated as Mario. They had a good thing going for a couple of years there. Thanks Rex!

Don't thank Rex because he didn't hire himself.

Thank the guy who told the Pegula's to not let Ryan leave the room.

If he had 16 sacks and a pro bowl, AND want whining about scheme, it would have a least been a hard decision.

If he had 16 sacks I think he'd have been very happy with the scheme.

there is no question Bills would have to rework that contract.

sometimes i wonder if that had been addressed and Mario shut it down because of that.

He did say early on that to pay him less would not fix the problem ( paraphrasing ) of course

That's true. It's a crying shame to see so much talent wasted under Rex & Co.'s scheme. That's the cause of decline for Mario and most of the rest of the defense. The only thing worse than watching that would be to watch the team pay players astronomical amounts of money and then waste their talents. If Rex isn't changing his scheme and he isn't going anywhere, then players like Mario have to go. The problem is that some other vey talented players that are making huge money, but don't fit the system can't be let go for years. It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. Edited by BarleyNY

Ridiculous. If he had 15 sacks this still had to happen.

I doubt it. He may have been asked to restructure but you don't let 15 sack guys go without a serious discussion. As it stands, the relationship had soured being repair and MW had to go. I am not a fan of the circumstances that led to this and wish him all the best

@espnstatsinfo

Mario Williams dropped into coverage on 4.9% of his plays last season, the highest in his 4 seasons with Bills

Does that include the Jets game when he dropped into the bathroom and never came out?

#getpaidamilliontotakea4hourdump

This is on Ryan. His square peg into round hole defensive "philosophy" ruined one of the best defenses in the league. Rex, if it's not broke you don't attempt to fix it. Yes, we'll now have more cap space but too many other things have to be fixed, such as the OL, to make you something you've rarely been, a winner.

Mario was as good as gone when they committed big bucks to Dareus and Hughes last year. This was the plan. The fact that he made himself into a problem child only makes it easier. Thanks for the memories.

Edited by MDFan

More the two gap system IMO.

Exactly! and then dropping him into pass coverage more then he was used to doing didn't help.

Most fans just don't understand the difference between the two schemes. Wade Phillips also runs a 3-4 but with a very effective pass rushing one gap scheme.

@espnstatsinfo

Mario Williams dropped into coverage on 4.9% of his plays last season, the highest in his 4 seasons with Bills

as compared to 4.2 the other years ( made that up )

I thought Wade ran a one-gap.

he hated that too.

Mario was as good as gone when they committed big bucks to Dareus and Hughes last year. This was the plan. The fact that he made himself into a problem child only makes it easier. Thanks for the memories.

jealousy then ?

Yep. He didn't like dropping but it was the two gapping he really hated... same in Houston when it came to a head there.

And they moved on from him as well. Now they have JJ Watt who can play anywhere. Maybe Mario just is not as good as he thinks he is.