Mario Williams released

Elite players don't take long stretches off. That disqualifies him from "elite" description. JJ Watt, for instance, is truly elite.

Basically. And they need to dominate a few more times when they do turn it on, too.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want all u fortune tellers back in here eating crow if Rex does turn this around get this team to the playoffs

I'll be first in line, provided it is an outstanding defense to thank for that playoff spot. Likewise, I'm interested in the duration Ryan ball washers plan to suspend judgement while awaiting the arrival of the alleged 'defensive genius'....

I'll be first in line, provided it is an outstanding defense to thank for that playoff spot.

I find these rigid parameters fascinating. Care to define them further? I'm very curious as to what kind of defensive performance would cause you to denounce a playoff berth.

I'll be first in line, provided it is an outstanding defense to thank for that playoff spot. Likewise, I'm interested in the duration Ryan ball washers plan to suspend judgement while awaiting the arrival of the alleged 'defensive genius'....

i stop washing after next year. One more season is all he gets from me. Until then...

Cheers !

In some ways, I feel sorry for him. Sure, he's got a big contract, but I feel that he's invested in the community, and planning on being here longer. Money aside, if you have enough faith in an employer, to make a move, and then because management has changed, you no longer "fit" in their plan, that's bad. The guy is still a great player, but couldn't transition into a new/different system. His stats took a huge hit last season, and the BILLS did not utilize him to his potential.

I have to hope that this is not another of those situations that comes back to bite us in the as* in the future. Hopefully he will not end up in another AFC East team.

You apparently haven't read Ty Dunne's article in which there are direct quotes from one or more teammates regarding how Mario quit and didn't care, prior to the start of the season. There is absolutely no way to spin that into sympathy for Mario unless you live in a bizarro world.

You apparently haven't read Ty Dunne's article in which there are direct quotes from one or more teammates regarding how Mario quit and didn't care, prior to the start of the season. There is absolutely no way to spin that into sympathy for Mario unless you live in a bizarro world.

Sal Cappacio was on WGR today discussing the Mario situation. Sal is far from being a harsh critic in his coverage of the Bills. But in this case he made it abundantly clear that he believed that Williams not only quit on the team but made a conscious decision early on to do so.

I'm not a Rex fan and will never be. I don't believe last year that he handled the defense very smartly. But MW's conduct and especially his attitude was unacceptable and negated any possibility of him returning, even with a substantially reduced contract.

Rex Ryan is a blustering fool. He talks tough but in this case acted like a weakling. Instead of tolerating Mario's insubordination he should have taken him off the field and if need be de-activate him when called for. The way he handled the Mario situation is another example as to why I have little regard for this loquacious HC.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/113835237/3-2-sal-capaccio-talks-release-of-mario-williams.htm

Sal Cappacio was on WGR today discussing the Mario situation. Sal is far from being a harsh critic in his coverage of the Bills. But in this case he made it abundantly clear that he believed that Williams not only quit on the team but made a conscious decision early on to do so.

I'm not a Rex fan and will never be. I don't believe last year that he handled the defense very smartly. But MW's conduct and especially his attitude was unacceptable and negated any possibility of him returning, even with a substantially reduced contract.

Rex Ryan is a blustering fool. He talks tough but in this case acted like a weakling. Instead of tolerating Mario's insubordination he should have taken him off the field and if need be de-activate him when called for. The way he handled the Mario situation is another example as to why I have little regard for this loquacious HC.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/113835237/3-2-sal-capaccio-talks-release-of-mario-williams.htm

You know I think you go overboard in your Rex bashing, but on this point we agree. I'm dumbfounded as to why Rex allowed Mario to stay on the field if his attitude was that widely known inside the team. I would like to hear his answer to that question.

Rex is known as a "player's coach" and I believe that pays dividends to team performance and reputation to potential players. Players want to play for him, players come here because of him.

But I agree in this one instance. Rex should have taken MW to the wood shed. There's a point where you stop being a players coach and become a "I'm not taking your crap, coach."

Who knows, maybe if Rex did, MW would be restructuring. Some people respond to discipline well.

(I edited: added a comma between crap and coach. Punctuation is important ie "Lets eat Grandma")

Edited by boater

There is always an excuse to everything.

BILLS BLOW and WILL BLOW MORE WITHOUT MARIO!

Effectively, we played without Mario last year. How will his departure hurt us?

Just having a guy in his position this season that actually cares will help team morale and esprit de corps.

And the extra $12 million will allow us to sign someone better than the 2015 edition of MW.

I'm bugged Rex couldn't convince Mario to care. But he couldn't, so releasing Mario is the right move.

You know I think you go overboard in your Rex bashing, but on this point we agree. I'm dumbfounded as to why Rex allowed Mario to stay on the field if his attitude was that widely known inside the team. I would like to hear his answer to that question.

The issue of the HC's handling of the headstrong Mario is more than a one player problem. Coaches have large rosters with a lot of different personalities. How he handles this particular situation resonates throughout the roster. How do you instill discipline and respect when you allow a fool player essentially challenge the HC and get away with that insubordinate conduct? It's not surprising to me that this team was one of the most penalized and undisciplined teams in the league.

When the unit reviews the tape together what do you think their reactions are when they watch Mario meandering around on plays? There is nothing unusual about coaches having to deal with problematic players. All teams have such issues. For me this was a coaching failure. What good is blustering if you can't back it up?

Most of my comments on Rex are re-edited to tone down what I really think about our garrulous head coach. My postings on Rex are kinder and gentler than what I'm really think about him. I strive to be civil but sometimes I can't contain myself.

I'm bugged Rex couldn't convince Mario to care. But he couldn't, so releasing Mario is the right move.

I'm bugged Dennis Thurman, Defensive Coordinator, couldn't get MW to perform.

Sure, Rex is HC. But it was Dennis task to motivate MW. If that failed, it was Rex's task to whip MW with a switch (a phrase that may confuse some).

Rex needs to be an HC. And he needs to hire a great DC, and leave him alone.

Rex is known as a "player's coach" and I believe that pays dividends to team performance and reputation to potential players. Players want to play for him, players come here because of him.

But I agree in this one instance. Rex should have taken MW to the wood shed. There's a point where you stop being a players coach and become a "I'm not taking your crap, coach."

Who knows, maybe if Rex did, MW would be restructuring. Some people respond to discipline well.

(I edited: added a comma between crap and coach. Punctuation is important ie "Lets eat Grandma")

There is nothing wrong with falling in the category of being a players' coach. Coaches have different personalities and different coaching styles. That is understood. That isn't the issue. I said this in other posting so pardon the repetition but this is a case where there was only one appropriate response for the coach to make in this case. Get the insubordinate arsehole off the field. Some situations are complicated and some are not. This was not an easy problem but essentially it was a simple problem that called for a simple solution. Talking tough is not good enough when dealing with a selfish priiick!

Sure, Rex is HC. But it was Dennis task to motivate MW. If that failed, it was Rex's task to whip MW with a switch (a phrase that may confuse some).

I think it was Dunbar who should have kicked his fridge in the coils.

i have said before i hope this is a learning tool for Rex and his Coaches.

Guy gets pouty? no time for that. NEXT!

It's not a coincidence that the authors cite "the bevy of plays he took off last season" as his biggest issue moving forward. It is just not so easily explained. He has to be careful how he answers the question. "I didn't like the scheme", will not suffice.

GO BILLS!!!

he will likely cite injuries

It was the logical move based on our financial situation, what he did last year, and the situation was untenable. Mario did get this knock of pouting in Houston as well.

I don't know, but we needed his salary and he proved he was not indispensable last year. If he really wanted to fulfill his contract, he would have embraced Rex's system, and had 15 sacks. He didn't. This doesn't mean I'm a Rex fan as i see him gone in a year.

I wonder where he will end up. You would think Jax or maybe Tampa.

You and I both know that is not going to happen