Mario Williams released

as compared to 4.2 the other years ( made that up )

he hated that too.

He had the same amount of sacks in 5 games as he did all of 2015.

I believe he publicly said he was excited to be used like Wade used him. But, he wasn't.

And they moved on from him as well. Now they have JJ Watt who can play anywhere. Maybe Mario just is not as good as he thinks he is.

Moved on from him so well, they had to draft Clowney two years later #1 overall...

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Wade ran a one-gap.

When he first got to Houston he did a bit of both. I remember reading something with an interview from him that his defense originally was a 2 gap system but then he evolved into a one gap system when he thought he had really good pass rushers (I remember Bruce got a name check). But he basically said a one gap only works if you have the talent to do it, if not he runs 2 gap and is a bit more conservative.

Y'know... fitting his defense to his personnel.... who'd have thunk it? Okay he let Mario go as he arguably didn't fit - the difference is they had just come 2nd in total defense when he did it and Mario had missed time injured. In that situation you have to trust the coach.

Edited by GunnerBill

I believe he publicly said he was excited to be used like Wade used him. But, he wasn't.

Moved on from him so well, they had to draft Clowney two years later #1 overall...

Assuming they drafted for need, which I don't think we can.

Assuming they drafted for need, which I don't think we can.

We can assume getting another pass rusher was something they found beneficial, even at #1 pick value, with trades on the table.

Edited by FireChan

He will not be missed. I watched him in the first NE game get man handled by Gronk on the goal line. I knew right then that Mario was dogging it.

Wish it could of worked out, but you can not let the players act like he did and not expect ramifications.

my moment of truth (and he was my favorite player so it took awhile) was in one of the home games when he was playing against a terrible backup RT and was so ineffective that Rex flipped him to the other side and lined up Hughes on the same dude, with opposite results.

All true, but playing for the Bills can do that to a player. Once they are paid, there isn't much left to play for beyond pride and glory. Not much glory playing for the Bills, and pride takes a beating when it's obviously all for naught.

I think the realization that the Bills weren't contenders again, despite the hype, had a lot to do with the performance of the defense. I think it struck them just as it struck many fans. Maybe if they had beaten the Patriots in that first game, their fortunes would have been completely different.

I expect him to sign with a contender, and be an important player for them.

Let me preface my comment by saying obviously I love the Bills. That said as much as I loved that he signed here there was a pit in my stomach about why. Why would he sign with a team that hadn't sniffed contention in a decade. Then the reports of the fridge came out, then the other locker room issues. Mario isn't going to a contender. He is going to whoever throws the most money at him period.

The Redskins game did it for me. I own a Mario jersey. I think he is a very good player. He absolutely dogged it all day long. I purposely paid attention to him on every snap as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. If you have access to all 22 please go back and check it out. It is for lack of a better word, disgusting the effort he put forth.

Mario was supposed to be a team leader. He was supposed to be our Reggie White. He ended up being a quitter.

Exactly! and then dropping him into pass coverage more then he was used to doing didn't help.

Most fans just don't understand the difference between the two schemes. Wade Phillips also runs a 3-4 but with a very effective pass rushing one gap scheme.

He ran away from Houston and their 3-4. Want to guess who the D Coordinator was?

Which is not remotely the same thing as drafting for need, let alone a self-created one, like you suggested it was.

I shouldn't have used had, but they still took Clowney two years latter.

If they truly had NO need for Clowney, why would they take him?

I think he will end his career in similar fashion to Jared Allen. A contributor but not dominant, and possibly laced with various injuries.

Or he could be another Julius Peppers, forgotten but still pretty good at getting to the QB but not thought of as "the guy" on defense.

AFTER BEING RELEASED BY THE BILLS

Kraig Urbik - thank you tweet.

Boobie - thank you tweet.

Mario - showed about the same effort as he did rushing the passer in 2015 . . . .

They didn't have to... He was BPA. Don't twist stuff to fit your agenda.

@tbnsully

My feelings on Mario Williams are well-established by now. My least favorite Bill ever as a player and a locker-room presence. Good riddance

That must have been very difficult for Sullen to write. On the one hand, he must be pleased that the guy with his own fridge was released . . . on the other hand, by implication, he is agreeing with something one of the local Buffalo professional sports teams has done.

Catch 22 for Sullen.

Edited by Peter

What a shame.

It was such a coup for the Bills to land him in free agency. He was such a stud his first few years here.

Last year was a big embarrassment and he should be ashamed of himself. I've never watched any player not give a F more than he did last year.