Mario Williams released

Of course he wanted money. The point is quite simple: many, many different folks around the league had Mario pegged for $16M/year AAV and $50M guaranteed.

Guess what he got?

He was going to get it; here or elsewhere.

They didn't let him go because they were "flush with pass rushers" (they had Connor Barwin and then a platoon that filled in for Mario once he got hurt). They let him go because they signed Arian Foster to a monster deal and didn't have cap room to fit Williams' contract under the then-$120M salary cap.

I have no idea why you're pretending that Buffalo magically skewed the pay scale for Mario. If they hadn't met his demands of money, playing LDE in a 4-3, having a fridge in his locker, etc. etc., he'd have gone on his next visit to Tennessee. Then Atlanta. Then Chicago. He would've gotten his deal because he was the best defensive FA to hit the market in a half decade or more.

It's the same situation as Ndamukong Suh last year. He was going to get $60M guaranteed from somebody...he got to choose his suitor.

That's probably all true, but often it's the smart people that know it's best to walk away when things get out of hand. Suh is a great example. Some team was going to give him a deal so stupid big that it would make it impossible for him to live up to it. Miami was that team. The other 31 teams in the league were winners on that one. Mario's deal wasn't nearly as out of hand as Suh's, but the Bills paid a premium for him. He did a great job of living up to it as much as possible (overall).

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably all true, but often it's the smart people that know it's best to walk away when things get out of hand. Suh is a great example. Some team was going to give him a deal so stupid big that it would make it impossible for him to live up to it. Miami was that team. The other 31 teams in the league were winners on that one. Mario's deal wasn't nearly as out of hand as Suh's, but the Bills paid a premium for him. He did a great job of living up to it as much as possible (overall).

Oh I don't disagree with any of that. I wholly believe that most premium FAs are overpaid.

My only point is that we weren't alone in the desire to overpay Mario--much the same as I'm sure Miami wasn't alone in wanting to overpay Suh.

Oh I don't disagree with any of that. I wholly believe that most premium FAs are overpaid.

My only point is that we weren't alone in the desire to overpay Mario--much the same as I'm sure Miami wasn't alone in wanting to overpay Suh.

Fair enough. I totally agree with that.

Oh, but the "Cuz. Wrex. Sucks." storyline is so enlightening, introspective, and thought-provoking.

If any of you knuckleheads learned the term "moderation" it would be a revelation.

Besides the obvious irony in saying 'knucklehead' and a request for moderation in the same sentence, did you just call Bill a knucklehead? Really?

Of course he wanted money. The point is quite simple: many, many different folks around the league had Mario pegged for $16M/year AAV and $50M guaranteed.

Guess what he got?

He was going to get it; here or elsewhere.

They didn't let him go because they were "flush with pass rushers" (they had Connor Barwin and then a platoon that filled in for Mario once he got hurt). They let him go because they signed Arian Foster to a monster deal and didn't have cap room to fit Williams' contract under the then-$120M salary cap.

I have no idea why you're pretending that Buffalo magically skewed the pay scale for Mario. If they hadn't met his demands of money, playing LDE in a 4-3, having a fridge in his locker, etc. etc., he'd have gone on his next visit to Tennessee. Then Atlanta. Then Chicago. He would've gotten his deal because he was the best defensive FA to hit the market in a half decade or more.

It's the same situation as Ndamukong Suh last year. He was going to get $60M guaranteed from somebody...he got to choose his suitor.

You are an Economist by training.

Or, you just managed to stay awake in those classes.

It's hard to imagine the spin Rex Haters will put on this. But then again, we've been hearing it for four months now.

I don't know about the spin of the Rex haters, but I would like to hear from the Mario defenders. Rex doing a poor coaching job has nothing to do with a player's decision to quit on his teammates, coaches, and fans no matter how hard they try to conflate the two.

Not surprised that a couple GMs were cited. I know the opinion of scouts around the league is that he quit early and often so it stands to reason, but GMs are in hiring positions and it will be a challenge for Mario going forward. I won't be surprised if the market isn't as hot as some believe.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

It's hard to imagine the spin Rex Haters will put on this. But then again, we've been hearing it for four months now.

I don't recall too many Rex critics arguing that Mario didn't quit. Any who did are wrong. The scheme utilised him poorly but from the bye on he wasnt even trying.

What spin?

You do realize Mario won't play for Rex in 2016 either, right?

Edited by FireChan

Besides the obvious irony in saying 'knucklehead' and a request for moderation in the same sentence, did you just call Bill a knucklehead? Really?

There's no irony whatsoever in my post, and "knucklehead" is a playful insult -- certainly you know that.

Edit: and while I enjoy many of Bill's posts and know he's a huge Bills fan, I don't think his opinions carry any more credibility or weight than others who have been watching this team for decades.

Edited by eball

That was sickening to watch. He and FJ were my favorite players of the past few seasons. I remember watching plays like those highlighted in that article and trying to convince myself he was just asked to set the edge/line and play contain. I did not want to believe he completely quit out there and was allowed to keep his starting spot. I was hoping it wasn't true but that effort is indefensible. I have lost a lot respect for Mario. Feels sh#$%ty.

i have seen posted more than once that it was Rex's job to motivate him so it's his fault that he wasn't trying. That's the spin I expect again. It's ridiculous but it's coming.

@YardsPerPass

And the Sproles/Mario gif you all have been waiting for

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CWX0j0NWEAIyB1o.mp4

Once again I say....Film don't lie!

@PriscoCBS

Mario Williams not exactly giving it his all in 2015. Take a look.

@ArthurArkush

Arthur Arkush Retweeted Pete Prisco

Exactly what I heard from personnel guy Wed. Said doesn’t belong higher than 49 on FA list: http://shawurl.com/2fw6

I am sure that Mario's agent is well aware of the league GM views of him above and that was the whole reason for the "I'll take a pay cut to stay with my family in buffalo" stuff from last week.

I would very much like this to be true.

i have seen posted more than once that it was Rex's job to motivate him so it's his fault that he wasn't trying. That's the spin I expect again. It's ridiculous but it's coming.

Do you also disagree with the suggestion that Ryan should have benched Mario for poor preference?

I don't know about the spin of the Rex haters, but I would like to hear from the Mario defenders. Rex doing a poor coaching job has nothing to do with a player's decision to quit on his teammates, coaches, and fans no matter how hard they try to conflate the two.

Not surprised that a couple GMs were cited. I know the opinion of scouts around the league is that he quit early and often so it stands to reason, but GMs are in hiring positions and it will be a challenge for Mario going forward. I won't be surprised if the market isn't as hot as some believe.

GO BILLS!!!

If it is this obvious to others that he "quit", why didn't our gutless coach bench him? If they thought he was quitting, it is a huge red flag that they took no action.

I was a huge fan of the Rex hire. But man did he suck this season and all of the weaknesses I heard about him came to light.

The Bills need a coach to hold players accountable and not be their buddy.