Mario Williams released

You mean as he held the intended pitch target that Kirik was waiting to give the ball too?

He blew up the entire designed play. And the 10 other guys on defense couldn't tackle some mildly athletic QB running for his life. Mario just had to do it all, huh?

You like that!!!!

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean as he held the intended pitch target that Kirik was waiting to give the ball too?

He blew up the entire designed play. And the 10 other guys on defense couldn't tackle some mildly athletic QB running for his life. Mario just had to do it all, huh?

you did just watch this right? you know you can't pitch the ball forward right. you did see the whole right side of the field open? you saw an RB turn Mario inside when the Cousins was already moving outside.

Oh you are just making a joke

nevermind

You like that!!!!

set the edge was all he had to do, and some folks are adamant he did that very well.

you did just watch this right? you know you can't pitch the ball forward right. you did see the whole right side of the field open? you saw an RB turn Mario inside when the Cousins was already moving outside.

Oh you are just making a joke

nevermind

The RB turn Mario inside? Uh, no. He didn't try to block Mario, let alone turn him inside. He was the intended ball carrier on the play.

You can absolutely pitch the ball forward behind the LOS.

YES!! He did have to do it all!

The man was given--at the time--the highest salary of a defensive player.

Is it too much to ask to blow up a play then pursue from the backside to FINISH IT? What the hell?

He STOPPED PLAYING.

YES. He SHOULD HAVE TRIED. He should WANT TO DO IT ALL.

Von Miller does. Jerry Hughes does. Players who will make a fraction of what Mario made in his career do.

Yours is the LAMEST justification I have ever heard for a player of Mario's supposed-caliber. And it simply doesn't equate with the money he was making. NOT ONE BIT.

Is it too much to ask to blow up a play then pursue from the backside to FINISH IT? What the hell?

He STOPPED PLAYING.

Von Miller does. Jerry Hughes does. Players who will make a fraction of what Mario made in his career do.

Yours is the LAMEST justification I have ever heard for a player of Mario's supposed-caliber. And it simply doesn't equate with the money he was making. NOT ONE BIT.

If there wasn't a sack to be made he didnt really care. The set the edge excuse when he just stands there is also BS.

The RB turn Mario inside? Uh, no. He didn't try to block Mario, let alone turn him inside. He was the intended ball carrier on the play.

You can absolutely pitch the ball forward behind the LOS.

no he wasn't the intended. it was a poor man RO. and Mario bit

Edited by 3rdand12

I dont think its a decent defense to toss about either Barley.

and we are talking about Mario. You have blamed Rex for Mario.

I think you are defending the wrong character and your argument has no upside.

Mario when full was elite. agreed.

But he was a moody B word if i ever saw one worse yet he affected his co workers

I am coming off as defending Mario - and I clearly am to a degree. But that's actually muddying my main point, which is that the big problem in 2015 was the mismatch between scheme and talent. Unlike Mario, I don't see that going away in 2016. In the future I'm going to try to stay out of any arguments regarding Mario because, quite frankly, he's gone and what happened with him in 2015 doesn't really matter to the Bills moving forward. If it was largely a symptom of a bigger problem, then there will be plenty of other evidence to back that up. If the defense is back on top in 2016, then I have been wrong and there isn't a problem going forward. We shall see.....

I am coming off as defending Mario - and I clearly am to a degree. But that's actually muddying my main point, which is that the big problem in 2015 was the mismatch between scheme and talent. Unlike Mario, I don't see that going away in 2016. In the future I'm going to try to stay out of any arguments regarding Mario because, quite frankly, he's gone and what happened with him in 2015 doesn't really matter to the Bills moving forward. If it was largely a symptom of a bigger problem, then there will be plenty of other evidence to back that up. If the defense is back on top in 2016, then I have been wrong and there isn't a problem going forward. We shall see.....

Whaley said yesterday that the talent on defense will look different. This is not the first time he's mentioned that defense will be the offseason focus. So there's no reason to believe what you perceived as a mismatch in 2015 (which I don't altogether disagree with) will persist.

He STOPPED PLAYING.

Lol. My justification is lame, but yours is that the Bills gave him a big contract 3 years ago. Here's some emoji's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, I count at least 3 other players (including the dreamy Jerry Hughes), who stopped trying on that play. Cut them all!

You are fair to argue that matter Barley!

But this is the bash Mario thread. And i have a head of steam.

as you wisely state, next year will be the proof. We can each and all project, but i will just wait and see.

cheers!

Lol. My justification is lame, but yours is that the Bills gave him a big contract 3 years ago. Here's some emoji's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, I count at least 3 other players (including the dreamy Jerry Hughes), who stopped trying on that play. Cut them all!

I agree 100% Horrible team effort :sick: up front especially.

the (dreamy jerry hughes). awesome!!!

I'm just going to disagree on Hughes and Dareus (and others), but obviously a NT that fits the scheme will help. I don't see a bunch of players who excel at an attacking one-gap scheme all transitioning well to Rex's two-gap system. And don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad system by any stretch. He just did not have the right players for it and he forced it on the ones he did have. If he does that again in 2016 the defense might be a bit better than in 2015, but it won't be what it could have been with the right scheme.

Except Ryan doesn't run a two-gap exclusive system. This gets said all the time with very little understanding of it. There are multiple fronts in his system and yes some players have two-gap reaponosbilty and some times they have on-gap reaponosbilty. In 2009 and 2010, with players like DeVito, Ellis, Pouha and Jenkins, who aren't premium talent, they ran mostly two-gap alignment. When Rex has had good DL like Richardson, Wilkerson and Ngata he's allowed them to "freelance" and have one-gap assignments.

Even last year they ran a 4-3 under with one-gap assignments some of the time, until Kyle got hurt. It depends on the called DL alignment. Sometimes it's two-gap, sometimes it's one gap. Towards the back end of the season, with all the injuries it became more two-gap.

Except Ryan doesn't run a two-gap exclusive system. This gets said all the time with very little understanding of it. There are multiple fronts in his system and yes some players have two-gap reaponosbilty and some times they have on-gap reaponosbilty. In 2009 and 2010, with players like DeVito, Ellis, Pouha and Jenkins, who aren't premium talent, they ran mostly two-gap alignment. When Rex has had good DL like Richardson, Wilkerson and Ngata he's allowed them to "freelance" and have one-gap assignments.

Even last year they ran a 4-3 under with one-gap assignments some of the time, until Kyle got hurt. It depends on the called DL alignment. Sometimes it's two-gap, sometimes it's one gap. Towards the back end of the season, with all the injuries it became more two-gap.

some folks get set in their thinking. not to call anyone out, as i do the same. But Ryan does use players in the "multi" concept.

sometimes defense is particular to the opponent, and last year , players available and their skillset. Ryan has weaknesses but knowledge base is not one of them.

So from what I'm reading: regardless of what we pay Mario and especially when the rest of his teammates quit on a play, there's no expectation that he go above and beyond to stop a QB from rushing the ball into the endzone from 13 yards out.

Is it fair to say that you don't think Mario could or should have done more to stop Cousins from scoring? And if you don't think that's fair, then what exactly is it that you're arguing?

That's weak sauce. Teams deal with injuries and suspensions every season. The Bills do. Every team they play against does. Every team they get ranked against does. Nobody notices when a team or unit still plays well, but it is suddenly trotted out by some people as a convenient excuse when they don't.

Teams do deal with injuries and supsensions every season you are correct. Teams also ebb and flow between seasons when this happens. I will use some non Bills examples for you...

Green Bay 2014 Offense, healthy Jordy, motivated Eddy Lacy ranked 6th. This year with no Jordy all year, the same coaches, and a fat Eddy Lacy 23rd ranked offense. What happened?

Arizona 2015 Offense, healthy Carson Palmer, added an over the hill CJ2K ranked 1st. 2014 Offense, same coaches Palmer hurt in game 9/10, ranked 24th. What happened?

Indianaplois 2014 Offfense, healthy Andrew Luck ranked 3rd over all. 2015, same coaches, added Andre Johnson and Frank Gore, Andrew Luck injured ranked 28th. What happened?

So without much thought I gave you 3 good examples of injuries derailing units that had consistency with coaching. I only went back the 1 year too! So please tell me again how injuries don't have any bearing on how well a team performs especially losing 2 major contributors.

So from what I'm reading: regardless of what we pay Mario and especially when the rest of his teammates quit on a play, there's no expectation that he go above and beyond to stop a QB from rushing the ball into the endzone from 13 yards out.

Is it fair to say that you don't think Mario could or should have done more to stop Cousins from scoring? And if you don't think that's fair, then what exactly is it that you're arguing?

But Jerry Hughes NEVER QUITS! I heard it from you!

Okay, so since you chose to be snarky about it, I'll assume you had no point to begin with.

My point is that Mario Williams is not the first nor the last player or even superstar to not go above and beyond on a single play. It was a poor example of him quitting.

My point is that Mario Williams is not the first nor the last player or even superstar to not go above and beyond on a single play. It was a poor example of him quitting.

Well, now it sounds like you acknowledge that he quit on the play...but that's cool because it happens all the time.

And somehow that makes it a bad example of him quitting. Even though you acknowledge he quit.

Well, now it sounds like you acknowledge that he quit on the play...but that's cool because it happens all the time.

And somehow that makes it a bad example of him quitting. Even though you acknowledge he quit.

I'm surprised that's what it sounds like, because that's not what I wrote. I forgot you're in crusade mode.