Mario Williams released

Anybody want to guess who Icognito was referring to in Dunne's article when he shook his head and named a teammate that could be the best "...if he just gave a crap."

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario did quit on the team. It isn't a narrative. He quit. That doesn't explain away the rest of the defensive performance, it is just stating the facts - Mario quit. This narrative that he is a scapegoat is tiring. He did not play to the level of his fellow defensive lineman who were all playing under the same scheme.

That is a narrative made by some but for some reason, the Buffalo Bills coaches themselves didn't see it that way. If you read through this thread I posted a link to an article that stated that they ...

"Ryan. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. Coaches have supported Williams all season long – possibly to a fault."

"The coach asserts Williams “has been around the quarterback” and didn’t hesitate on if Williams has been giving his all.

“Yeah, I think so,” Dunbar said. “He’s out there doing the things we’ve asked him to do. … It’s a little bit different than what he’s done in the past, but I think it’s working for us.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

Fans here post a link showing that Mario didn't rush the passer in 2015 like he has in past years and suddenly most fans think he quit on the team. The real problem is... he wasn't asked to rush the passer! But rather stay in his position and take on the OT while defending the run. Huge difference in playing a one gap scheme and a two-gap scheme. It's also a big reason why Ryan said it wasn't all about sacks and the team went from 1st in the NFL to 31st.

Anybody want to guess who Icognito was referring to in Dunne's article when he shook his head and named a teammate that could be the best "...if he just gave a crap."

GO BILLS!!!

I hate doing the guessing game but it would connect.

But again, he was an all pro just 2 seasons ago. The nex system sucked for 90% of the defense. Has Rex ever had a double digit sack guy, much less a d linemen? His system did the opposite of our team's strengths. And once again, if Mario was dogging it, a coach who has control over the team should bench him.

Wish someone had a link to that video of OTA's in which Rex and Thurman were drooling over Mario's skill set.

...then reality sets in and you have a player making how much? I'd have to guess, was he making 20 percent of the starting D's payroll? He decided against the scheme and providing a professional effort thus that money was wasted. Teams have very few impact players they can dedicate high $'s too, Mario was one of them.

When you get an exception like Mario and then add in another high priced player being injured (Kyle) suddenly the ceiling is much much lower. We can pretend that Mario's mindset and performance didn't affect Rex or his teammates but it would only be fair to say that is being color blind.

so your screen name is a true and honest name then ?

:thumbsup:

Giant would be a nice fit.

but are there deers in Jersey

@rapsheet

Mario Williams is set to arrive in NJ tonight and visit the #Giants tonight and tomorrow, source said. They have a chance to keep him there

@rapsheet

Mentioned Mario Williams is set to visit #Giants... It is expected to happen soon, but the day isn't firmed up yet. Some things to work out

Edited by YoloinOhio

but are there deers in Jersey

yep. just smaller. he has a better chance of them ground up and in the freezer.

no more 12 pointers for Mario. Maybe some semi helpless young doe will succumb to his rush now !

yep. just smaller. he has a better chance of them ground up and in the freezer.

no more 12 pointers for Mario. Maybe some semi helpless young doe will succumb to his rush now !

That's a good thing if he leaves the division, we don't have the money to pay Henderson big bucks because he stone walls a legend like Mario.

"The coach asserts Williams “has been around the quarterback” and didn’t hesitate on if Williams has been giving his all.

“Yeah, I think so,” Dunbar said.

That's not hesitating on if Williams has been giving his all?!? LOL

That is a narrative made by some but for some reason, the Buffalo Bills coaches themselves didn't see it that way. If you read through this thread I posted a link to an article that stated that they ...

"Ryan. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. Coaches have supported Williams all season long – possibly to a fault."

“Yeah, I think so,” Dunbar said. “He’s out there doing the things we’ve asked him to do. … It’s a little bit different than what he’s done in the past, but I think it’s working for us.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

Fans here post a link showing that Mario didn't rush the passer in 2015 like he has in past years and suddenly most fans think he quit on the team. The real problem is... he wasn't asked to rush the passer! But rather stay in his position and take on the OT while defending the run. Huge difference in playing a one gap scheme and a two-gap scheme. It's also a big reason why Ryan said it wasn't all about sacks and the team went from 1st in the NFL to 31st.

So you attribute Mario Williams stats to being wrong place wrong time? Always holding the edge so he could never make a tackle? BS. His teammates tripled his tackles under the same scheme. Corbin Bryant had 24 tackles to Williams 15 tackles with only 2/3rds of the games started. I don't buy it.

I believe my eyes over the PR speak of coaches who have any number of reasons to not throw Mario under the bus when asked by a media person looking for controversy.

The bottom line of it is that the stats show he gave up, the film shows he gave up, but you refuse to believe any of that because you think it is a conspiracy to let Rex off the hook. That's nonsense. Mario giving up was one of many problems with the defense.

So you attribute Mario Williams stats to being wrong place wrong time? Always holding the edge so he could never make a tackle? BS. His teammates tripled his tackles under the same scheme. Corbin Bryant had 24 tackles to Williams 15 tackles with only 2/3rds of the games started. I don't buy it.

I believe my eyes over the PR speak of coaches who have any number of reasons to not throw Mario under the bus when asked by a media person looking for controversy.

The bottom line of it is that the stats show he gave up, the film shows he gave up, but you refuse to believe any of that because you think it is a conspiracy to let Rex off the hook. That's nonsense. Mario giving up was one of many problems with the defense.

I dunno where you get the wrong place, wrong time stuff as I never said that. Did you even read the articles I linked in this thread? The entire idea of the Rex Ryan 3-4 is for the D-linemen to hold up the O-linemen so that the linebackers can make the plays. A very pathetic way of wasting 28% of the payroll tied up in the front four if you asked me!

Since you clearly didn't bother to read those links, then allow me to highlight a specific part.

“He’s doing a good job (Mario) of coming off the edge and the quarterback’s getting rid of the ball,” Dunbar said. “It’s kind of hard because the defense we play is predicated on what they give us and who’s going to be the hot guy. Yeah, you wish you had more tackles, you wish you had more sacks. But I think he’s helping our defense based upon the things he’s doing.”

Dunbar cited linebacker Manny Lawson’s hit on Dallas’ Kellen Moore – the team’s only registered QB hit in the game – as one such play. Williams covered tight end James Hanna out of the backfield, eliminating the hot read and Moore was walloped.

I read that and my take is wow! WTF! :wallbash: This coaching staff is happy over one hit all game on the QB, and this against a QB who was making his first NFL start!

The Bills defense playing gap control rather then letting the dogs loose to rush the passer, and get sacks, hits, hurries was just unbelievably stupid for most of the year. Marcell Dareus only had 2.0 sacks in 2015 after having 10 the previous year and he actually made more tackles than he had in 2014.

But hey, keep saying Mario quit if that is what you want to think.

EDIT: Then, who would you rather run the ball at, a 290 LB DE or a 253lb DE? I would think the opposing teams would rather run away from the elite pro bowl DE. But, that's just me.

Edited by Nihilarian

GMen are loaded with cap room. All depends on the mentality - are they closer to a full scrap or a SB. I think with Eli, they have to try and win now. I think Mario lands here in a VERY un-Giant-like move. Their pass rush was THAT bad....

i think they are in win-now mode. Just extended Eli, etc. I think they should go nuts in FA and see what happens. Jmo. Mario would be a decent fit but not sure he would like the Nyc media.

i think they are in win-now mode. Just extended Eli, etc. I think they should go nuts in FA and see what happens. Jmo. Mario would be a decent fit but not sure he would like the Nyc media.I think they would love him in NY

I think media and fans would love Mario on the Giants and he would be a good fit for the 4-3 defense they run. I can't help but think he might end up in Carolina or Arizona though and only because Mario may want to go to a winning team.

Just throwing this out there, but is it possible Mario's performance had something to do with his inability to comprehend the playbook? Is it possible he just didn't understand where he was supposed to be or what he was supposed to do on any given play? Here's a sample of a Rex Ryan Defense from 2010 http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2010-NY-Jets-Defense-Rex-Ryan.pdf (taken from the other thread on the board).

It wouldn't surprise me if Mario, Leodis and others have a tough time grasping the intricacies of this defense and chose to simply act like they were engaged but then found themselves in "no man's land" on certain plays.

I dunno where you get the wrong place, wrong time stuff as I never said that. Did you even read the articles I linked in this thread? The entire idea of the Rex Ryan 3-4 is for the D-linemen to hold up the O-linemen so that the linebackers can make the plays. A very pathetic way of wasting 28% of the payroll tied up in the front four if you asked me!

Since you clearly didn't bother to read those links, then allow me to highlight a specific part.

“He’s doing a good job (Mario) of coming off the edge and the quarterback’s getting rid of the ball,” Dunbar said. “It’s kind of hard because the defense we play is predicated on what they give us and who’s going to be the hot guy. Yeah, you wish you had more tackles, you wish you had more sacks. But I think he’s helping our defense based upon the things he’s doing.”

Dunbar cited linebacker Manny Lawson’s hit on Dallas’ Kellen Moore – the team’s only registered QB hit in the game – as one such play. Williams covered tight end James Hanna out of the backfield, eliminating the hot read and Moore was walloped.

I read that and my take is wow! WTF! :wallbash: This coaching staff is happy over one hit all game on the QB, and this against a QB who was making his first NFL start!

The Bills defense playing gap control rather then letting the dogs loose to rush the passer, and get sacks, hits, hurries. The 2015 defensive scheme was just unbelievably stupid for most of the year. Marcell Dareus only had 2.0 sacks in 2015 after having 10 the previous year and he actually made more tackles then 2014.

But hey, keep saying Mario quit if that is what you want to think.

I don't think you quite understand Rex Ryan's system or scheme.

His front is multiple. Meaning sometimes it's two-gap alignment and sometimes its one-gap alignment. Sometimes, it's both, where the NT has two-gap responsibility and the DE has one-gap. It isn't one thing all the time. They started the season, on the opening play, in a 4-3 under with one-gap alignment. Mario Williams had plenty of one-gap alignment where he was asked to rush the passer and didn't get home. The guy quit.

I don't know why you think posting quotes from articles proves your point and I hope you understand that it is possible that the defense disappointed AND Mario Williams quit.