Mario Williams released

I don't understand your stance of being disappointed in him because he wants to get as much money as possible. Maybe you are being sarcastic, or maybe not? But why do you think he signed with the Bills in the first place, a team noted for its historical malaise? It was for the money.

I don't have much regard for Mario as a person. He is a mercenary. I say that not as a criticism. It is the right approach to take in a ruthless business. I'll say the same thing abut Incognito if he leaves for a better offer.

For the most part the notion of player loyalty is a myth as it is for the notion of team loyalty. Each side of the table makes decisions for what is in their best interests. If Mario doesn't go to a team that gives him the best deal he is a fool. The one thing we know about Mario is that he acts in his own best interest. What else does anyone expect him to do?

Last season Eagles OG Evan Mathis was offered 5.5 mill per from a team and he chose to take less pay to play with a contender. He was rewarded with a super bowl ring and I commend him for doing what he did to get that ring.

In the beginning of players careers, I think that most only want the money and as they age and see how few players actually get a super bowl ring. Then that desire for a ring usually grows as time goes on. After 10 seasons in the league, Mario should have enough money stashed away to not be that concerned about his next contract. I dunno, perhaps he has money issues due to some bad investing. Kinda difficult to believe, but it happens.

If I were in his place I know I'd rather sign with the Panthers, Patriots or Cardinals rather than the Dolphins / Giants with new coaching staffs.

At this point in his career, I would think they only thing left to accomplish is to get that ring. So yea, it is sad and disappointing that all he is concerned about is the money.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season Eagles OG Evan Mathis was offered 5.5 mill per from a team and he chose to take less pay to play with a contender. He was rewarded with a super bowl ring and I commend him for doing what he did to get that ring.

In the beginning of players careers, I think that most only want the money and as they age and see how few players actually get a super bowl ring. Then that desire for a ring usually grows as time goes on. After 10 seasons in the league, Mario should have enough money stashed away to not be that concerned about his next contract. I dunno, perhaps he has money issues due to some bad investing. Kinda difficult to believe, but it happens.

If I were in his place I know I'd rather sign with the Panthers, Patriots or Cardinals rather than the Dolphins / Giants with new coaching staffs.

At this point in his career, I would think they only thing left to accomplish is to get that ring. So yea, it is sad and disappointing that all he is concerned about is the money.

It is a fair point that we most of the older but very good players trying to latch on to a team and get that ring. Not sure why Mario would not? He must surely have plenty of money.

Like i said i will be very interested in watching him play next year. Which sounds odd , now that i think about it !

Free agent in it for the money. In other news, water is wet. More at 11.

There's this little competitive fire that burns in most pro athletes, especially after they've cashed in on a big FA deal. The truly elite want to have at least one championship notch on their belt before they ride into the sunset.

Mario, apparently is not part of that club.

There's this little competitive fire that burns in most pro athletes, especially after they've cashed in on a big FA deal. The truly elite want to have at least one championship notch on their belt before they ride into the sunset.

Mario, apparently is not part of that club.

Again, breaking news. Most high-priced players don't sign with Buffalo if a championship means that much to them.

I'm all for the Bills/Dolphins games having some spice to them again.

I grew up during the Kelly/Marino battles, and it was a lot of fun, but for most of recent history the Dolphins games have been just any other game to me.

I was never all that into Jets games either until this year with Rex, Chan, and Fitz involved. That made those games a LOT more fun than before.

Obviously every Bills game is exciting in the sense that you want to see your team win, but having those extra story lines adds some extra emotion to it. NE* needs no extra... every game vs them feels like a big game.

If you look at it from the Fins' perspective, Mario killed them while Wake often was invisible against us.

How soon we forget Mario almost single handedly beat them one year.

Or that Wake is 3 years older and coming off an injured year. Or that Wake has gotten much less sacks and tackles than Mario the last few years. Mario a downgrade at $8M is crazy.

Again, breaking news. Most high-priced players don't sign with Buffalo if a championship means that much to them.

I think that was my point a few pages up.

But at his age and AFTER pocketing the $50 mil guaranteed, you would imagine that an elite player would be looking for a championship opportunity.

If you look at it from the Fins' perspective, Mario killed them while Wake often was invisible against us.

How soon we forget Mario almost single handedly beat them one year.

I didn't forget. But I'm talking about 2016 not 2013 and Wake is better rushing the passer IMO.