Mario Williams released

Would anyone care to respond to that? You know, the thing where the whole rest of the defense fell off so precipitously.

I already did. Between Kyle and Aaron Williams missed 23 games between the 2 of them. So the best safety on the team and the leader of the d-line missed a huge chunk of time. Add in injuries to Bradham, McKelvin, and Gilmore injuries causing them to miss a combined 18 games and they weren't the same defenses.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a ridiculously incorrect statement. Hughes and Dareus fit the scheme perfectly. Hughes is the prototypical Rush End/LB in Rex's scheme and Dareus, when playing the 5-tech DE, is perfect for the scheme too. The problem with Dareus was when Kyle went down, Rex moved him to a 0-tech NT. They'll go searching for a NT in the offseason.

I'm just going to disagree on Hughes and Dareus (and others), but obviously a NT that fits the scheme will help. I don't see a bunch of players who excel at an attacking one-gap scheme all transitioning well to Rex's two-gap system. And don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad system by any stretch. He just did not have the right players for it and he forced it on the ones he did have. If he does that again in 2016 the defense might be a bit better than in 2015, but it won't be what it could have been with the right scheme.

I already did. Between Kyle and Aaron Williams missed 23 games between the 2 of them. So the best safety on the team and the leader of the d-line missed a huge chunk of time. Add in injuries to Bradham, McKelvin, and Gilmore injuries causing them to miss a combined 18 games and they weren't the same defenses.

If this point still eludes Bills fans, there's nothing you can do to bridge the gap. It's a willful ignorance by now.

That's weak sauce. Teams deal with injuries and suspensions every season. The Bills do. Every team they play against does. Every team they get ranked against does. Nobody notices when a team or unit still plays well, but it is suddenly trotted out by some people as a convenient excuse when they don't.

Dead. Wrong. Reports of Mario "quitting" go back to training camp, and even when the Bills signed him there were whispers regarding his motivation if everything didn't go his way.

His first year here there were questions, later on he said his hand was messed up.

NastyShyBubblefish.gif

Let your eyes be the judge. No words necessary.

thanks. i love getting bummed out again

Look at Graham going wtf

That's weak sauce. Teams deal with injuries and suspensions every season. The Bills do. Every team they play against does. Every team they get ranked against does. Nobody notices when a team or unit still plays well, but it is suddenly trotted out by some people as a convenient excuse when they don't.

The Bills didn't in 2014. And yet that's the standard by which 2015 was measured.

Couple observations on that play. Mario's responsibility appeared to be the RB, which he got to quickly. He appeared to pick up Cousins with the ball after it was probably too late to get to him, but he didn't exactly chase the play either. He did his primary job and that was pretty much it. There was no extra effort. While that's not exactly quitting, it obviously isn't what you want from your players. Of course, this was from the end of the season too (3rd last game) and I've already mentioned that I knew Mario was dogging it - and why I thought he was. He was frustrated with his use specifically and the scheme in general, he knew he wasn't going to be a Bill next year and he was probably protecting his health for free agency. I'd have a much different opinion of the situation if I: A) didn't think he was correct about his misuse and scheme and B) had ever seen this behavior from him before. Mario was the Bills' best player for three seasons and never created any issues. When he was healthy and in a 4-3 for the Texans the same was true. So grabbing the pitchforks and torches and going after him doesn't make any sense to me.

If the Bills had hired Hue Jackson and Schwartz remained as DC we wouldn't be having this conversation. Mario would have still been lighting it up and the big issue would have been how to afford to keep him and the rest of the defense together. Scapegoating Mario is easy, but it ignores the real problem - a defensive scheme ill-suited to the talent on the front seven. Mario was an easy player to release, but there are others that don't fit the scheme that aren't. Dareus and Hughes aren't going anywhere anytime soon due to their contracts, but they don't fit either. All of that money (and cap space) poured into a defense is being wasted. That's the real problem and it hasn't gone anywhere.

okay.

I dont think its a decent defense to toss about either Barley.

and we are talking about Mario. You have blamed Rex for Mario.

I think you are defending the wrong character and your argument has no upside.

Mario when full was elite. agreed.

But he was a moody B word if i ever saw one worse yet he affected his co workers

Graham was pissed

Guys call out Graham lately. But this is evidence that players were not making the simple plays or following the call.

To Barleys reverberating point, the team's Defense did suck in general.

But you roll tons of tape on Mario and see much worse than that even

Probably the part where Kirk Cousins galloped right past him as he sat there.

Nice hit on that monster Matt Jones.

You mean as he held the intended pitch target that Kirik was waiting to give the ball too?

He blew up the entire designed play. And the 10 other guys on defense couldn't tackle some mildly athletic QB running for his life. Mario just had to do it all, huh?