We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

You make a good point on signed contracts. For example, the Broncos have $8 mil left in space, but they have to pay a few guys, and most importantly, the $100 mil contract for Von Miller. They'll save some on letting Manning go, but Osweiler will cost at least $10 mil a year.

So we are in a tough cap spot, but we can dump quite a bit of money with jettising a few people. Bottom line is every time you see a thread stating why not get this free agent, remember we have no money. We will use our space to resign the needed guys, and the rest comes in the draft.

We'll be fine.

yep. I hope we trade down from 19 and have two 2nd and two 3rd round picks. Its all about the draft. now we need 3 or 4 guys from the draft who can contribute next year. We have the coaches and the front office, a pile of talent and an owner willing to put up cash now to restructure contracts (Clay, others) to allow us to keep our key guys (Gilmore, etc.). We'll be fine. Frankly , we could put the roster we have out there right now and win 10 IMO. McFumble needed to be cut if we were 40m under the cap. Mario turned out to be a bum so losing him we lose nothing. This front office is finally a good one. go bills.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very aware. But at this point, we may very well be using those picks to fill holes we just created and rookies typically are what push a team over the playoff hump.

It's just frustrating to see the talent of this team wasted and now we can't even say Ralph is cheap anymore

I'm very aware. But at this point, we may very well be using those picks to fill holes we just created and rookies typically are what push a team over the playoff hump.

It's just frustrating to see the talent of this team wasted and now we can't even say Ralph is cheap anymore

In the world of today's NFL with a salary cap, there will always be some roster turnover. It is what it is.

If the team can manage to resign Cog and find a decent CB and maybe decent depth player in the front seven then I will be happy with what they did in free agency. If they have an impact draft finding a pass rusher and a linebacker or O-line then there just might be some hope for the team.

I will agree that their options to improve the team via free agency are limited. But they do have enough room to resign Cog and to make some more modest moves that could fill a few holes.

After RFA and Draft Picks, we will have around 6 mil left. Oh yeah, and we lost McKelvin and Mario, possibly Richie.

So, may not be the worst anymore, but we've now lost talent and don't have money to upgrade or fill the recently created holes.

Super Psyched

I liked McKelvin but he was a backup making too much. Mario quit and played horribly so not as big a loss as it seems and Incognito will probably be re-signed...and they will have enough money to sign players. There are not any superstars available to sign anyway. Jaguars have $80M in cap space. Who are they going to spend it on? Also, they should be well under the cap for next year. As long as the defensive coaches figure out how to coach, we should be ok

Edited by nucci

I liked McKelvin but he was a backup making too much. Mario quit and played horribly so not as big a loss as it seems and Incognito will probably be re-signed...and they will have enough money to sign players. There are not any superstars available to sign anyway. Jaguars have $80M in cap space. Who are they going to spend it on? Also, they should be well under the cap for next year. As long as the defensive coaches figure out how to coach, we should be ok

This

It is also possible Leodis signs back with the Bills if he does not get any offers in FA. He is definitely better than our current backups. Just couldn't pay him starter money

Yep. The fact that they knew this was an option probably goes some way to explaining the Cromartie interest. The now have to find a serviceable back up corner in FA... If Butler is out #3 outside guy after Darby and Gilmore that'd make me nervous. Butler is a decent #4 but I'd like someone better and more experienced as our primary back up.

yea i'm curious to see what the jags do. they could have a pretty decent core along with essentially 2 top 5 draft picks(fowler coming back).

I'd be willing to bet that more than half the $$ they spend on FA pick ups end up under performing. One thing I believe Marv Levy said a long time ago, most often FA hurt the team they are leaving more than they help the team they are going to. With $80 mil will be very easy for them to overpay for talent. For the most part FA that become available are available for a reason, they really aren't as good as they seem to outside eyes, or there's something going on that the outside world doesn't see.

For example a guy like Decker who went to the Jets and got big money. He looked much better in Denver whet he had D Thomas on the other side and the good Peyton throwing him the ball. He did better this year now that he has Brandon Marshall across from him and didn't have Geno Smith throwing to him. But the Jets paid him like a #1 receiver, but he really is a decent to good #2 depending on QB play. Jag's may sign alot of that.

yea i'm curious to see what the jags do. they could have a pretty decent core along with essentially 2 top 5 draft picks(fowler coming back).

@mikerodak

The Bills saved $600,000 in 2016 by restructuring Corey Graham’s contract. His new cap # is $4.775M, down from $5.375M.

The Bills converted Corey Graham’s $500,000 roster bonus and $700,000 LTBE incentive into a signing bonus. His '17 cap increases by $600k.

All in all, it’s a very minor restructure for Graham. $600k is less than half what they need to tender just one RFA at lowest level.

@mikerodak

The Bills saved $600,000 in 2016 by restructuring Corey Grahams contract. His new cap # is $4.775M, down from $5.375M.

The Bills converted Corey Grahams $500,000 roster bonus and $700,000 LTBE incentive into a signing bonus. His '17 cap increases by $600k.

All in all, its a very minor restructure for Graham. $600k is less than half what they need to tender just one RFA at lowest level.

I didn't know he made that much and honestly think he's overpaid. I'd rather see him back at corner

So is the way of the world in the salary cap era

It doesnt mean the team wont get better......it means that your "core" guys need to be young up and comers and you have to rely on draft picks to fill holes

Yep. The fact that they knew this was an option probably goes some way to explaining the Cromartie interest. The now have to find a serviceable back up corner in FA... If Butler is out #3 outside guy after Darby and Gilmore that'd make me nervous. Butler is a decent #4 but I'd like someone better and more experienced as our primary back up.

The #1 defensive need for the Bills in the current RR defense is still another high quality boundary CB, IMO.

Reason being that if Gilmore or Darby are out for any extended period of time it exposes all of the other positions on Rex D........and Cromartie and a year-older McKelvin aren't sufficient replacements, IMO.

On paper they need a starting NT and an OLB and could use upgrades at ILB, 3-4 DE and S..........but those can be filled with Cromartie/McKelvin caliber players at those positions and the defense can still function.

In NY, RR defense actually became less effective as it accumulated high-end DL talent while the secondary was not being kept stocked to the max.

I hate the fact that the defense is no longer pass rusher-centric........but that is the reality so it would not surprise me in the least if the Bills took a CB in the first two rounds.

The #1 defensive need for the Bills in the current RR defense is still another high quality boundary CB, IMO.

Reason being that if Gilmore or Darby are out for any extended period of time it exposes all of the other positions on Rex D........and Cromartie and a year-older McKelvin aren't sufficient replacements, IMO.

On paper they need a starting NT and an OLB and could use upgrades at ILB, 3-4 DE and S..........but those can be filled with Cromartie/McKelvin caliber players at those positions and the defense can still function.

In NY, RR defense actually became less effective as it accumulated high-end DL talent while the secondary was not being kept stocked to the max.

I hate the fact that the defense is no longer pass rusher-centric........but that is the reality so it would not surprise me in the least if the Bills took a CB in the first two rounds.

Yep - a lot of truth in that, although I'm not sure I'd ever be comfortable saying a backup is a higher priority than a starter.... save for the backup Quarterback of course.

Of course if any of your top players are out for an extended time there will be a problem