We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

There could be other moves. Just because Glenn has been franchised, that doesn't mean they won't continue to work on his long term contract. A front loaded long term contract could actually free up the cap space that would have been used against the cap.

Some other players could also be a work in progress. The 23 million all ready freed up is more than half spent with Glenn's franchise tag. That is probably item #1 on their list right now. Can't remember the deadline for being under the cap, but the Bills could actually resign Glenn by then to a long term deal. That would put some serious money into the pot.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be other moves. Just because Glenn has been franchised, that doesn't mean they won't continue to work on his long term contract. A front loaded long term contract could actually free up the cap space that would have been used against the cap.

Some other players could also be a work in progress. The 23 million all ready freed up is more than half spent with Glenn's franchise tag. That is probably item #1 on their list right now. Can't remember the deadline for being under the cap, but the Bills could actually resign Glenn by then to a long term deal. That would put some serious money into the pot.

Yup. Glenn and Gilmore both will hopefully get new deals in the next few weeks which will lower the cap even more.

The Jets, Dolphins, Ravens, Broncos, and Redskins all have worse cap numbers currently than the Bills. But the sky is falling.

In either case, we've opened up a lot of money without hurting the team very much (if we assume Mario would have played this year like he did last year).

No? You need another DL to play Rex's schemes now. Marcell, 33 yo Kyle W., and the spare change they have aren't enough.

Who is their interior OL depth?

And, how will Dixon's loss be felt on a ST unit where Marcus Easley was severely injured late last season?

Sure, there's UFA coming, but with so little cap room after Glenn's tag, hard to see them adding veteran pieces who won't need the lead time like rookies.

And, if they're focused on improving the team with bargain bin acquisitions and hope rookies develop, it's basically their method the past 10 years. And it's never worked.

No? You need another DL to play Rex's schemes now. Marcell, 33 yo Kyle W., and the spare change they have aren't enough.

Probably where we will be using our 19th pick in a DL rich draft dont you think?

You cannot be all pro at every position.....we picked up Urbick off the trash heap and this is where you have a teacher like Kromer working with the big uglys. I think Cog gets signed......so the starters are set.

And, how will Dixon's loss be felt on a ST unit where Marcus Easley was severely injured late last season?

Your late round draft picks are where you typically find your special teams players

Sure, there's UFA coming, but with so little cap room after Glenn's tag, hard to see them adding veteran pieces who won't need the lead time like rookies.

I expect the bills to be pretty much non exist in free agency this year......WHaley said its about signing our own and drafting well.....his words on that have not changed this whole off season.....I expect him to stick to that

And, if they're focused on improving the team with bargain bin acquisitions and hope rookies develop, it's basically their method the past 10 years. And it's never worked.

This team has NOT been recently focused on bargain bin aquisitions.......we have out more up front bonus money then any other team in the league last year to free agents.

I'd love to keep all our players. And I'd love the Bills to have a higher salary cap than the rest of the NFL with an allowable roster of 70 guys.

But given the reality of the situation, this was a relatively painless way to save several million dollars. We lost a prima donna DE who didn't like or fit the system. We lost a good backup guard who's not starter quality. And we lost a RB who was solid on special teams but let's not start comparing him to Steve Tasker.

We had to free up some cap space. Who would you have cut instead?

Btw, I think John from Hemet's response is spot on.

Well, I am not at all comfortable with where we are with the o-line, particularly if RI does not re-sign with the Bills. Miller was below average last year and Henderson has health issues (and was not particularly effective when he was healthy). In addition, we now have zero depth on the o-line. This will be one example of where our cap situation will hurt us. I also would not count on getting strong first year starters out of this year's draft. It may happen, but who knows..

Edited by jahnyc

Well, I am not at all comfortable with where we are with the o-line, particularly if RI does not re-sign with the Bills. Miller was below average last year and Henderson has health issues (and was not particularly effective when he was healthy). In addition, we have now have zero depth on the o-line. This will be one example of where our cap situation will hurt us. I also would not count on getting strong first year starters out of this year's draft. It may happen, but who knows..

no one should be comfortable if Richie does not return. Kind of a tipping point, like falling into the wastebin tipping point.

Agreed, and am duly concerned.

Chandler#81 ,

we have all bandied the the imagined and real details here. Full of conjecture and opine aplenty.

But when it comes down to nuts and bolts Richie has the leverage and i do not mind this time. Because he worked for, and then proved himself in a manner that earned my respect. And i assure you i was full of doubt on every level!

Let us hope it is just the media hype driving us fans nutso again. And the Overdorf and Cogs agent ( sexton ? ) are closer to a deal than not.

Of course the market will set his price, and that has hardly happened yet.

wait and see with fingers and eyes crossed.

: )

Well, I am not at all comfortable with where we are with the o-line, particularly if RI does not re-sign with the Bills. Miller was below average last year and Henderson has health issues (and was not particularly effective when he was healthy). In addition, we now have zero depth on the o-line. This will be one example of where our cap situation will hurt us. I also would not count on getting strong first year starters out of this year's draft. It may happen, but who knows..

The depth on the o-line is a concern. I still think Miller will come good I think he was better than his PFF grading last year but whereas we had someone who was a decent interior back up and a bottom end starter before we no have no interior depth at all. I'd also contend that we only have 1 bona fide NFL standard tackle on the team and we have just tagged him.

Hopefully we can get Glenn signed for something reasonable, to lower his hit... same with Gilmore.

There are a lot of ways to move money around. Lets hope the front office and the players can come to a middle ground. So far, it sounds like Incognito is the only one dragging his feet(understandably). This may be his last chance to cash in before retiring. One thing that is looking good for this team is that the players are actually wanting to stay here. And prospects are actually wanting to come here. Makes the moves that the front office are trying to make easier.

I was a little alarmed at our cap situation but the more moves are made the better things look. Glenn resigned long term would be big, but it should be understood that if Tyrod continues to impress, room will need to made all over again. I'm amazed by how much talent is on this team now. I wonder how far they can keep pushing the envelope to keep our starters.

just for exercise. How much ya think Mack will cost?

How about we drop Wood sign Cog and Mack... hmmmm ?

Mack opted out of deal that would have paid him $8M this year......Good idea but probably won't happen