We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

I forgot Rambo - yes he stays. I am a Hogan fan but he is a luxury we can't afford (a decent 3rd or 4th receiver) at this stage. I might try the lowest tender but I think someone would match it and he'd walk anyway.

I think more likely they keep Mills and one DL guy than both DL guys.

I'd steer clear of the lowest tender for anyone except Bryant. The 2015 number for lowest-tender was $1.542M (middle was $2.356M and highest was $3.354M). I'm guessing that'll be more like $1.65M this year.

I would offer the following:

Powell - $750k

Charles - $750k

Rambo - $900k

Mills - $1M

Hogan - $1M

Bryant - lowest tender

That would be just under $6M...perfect if they can pull it off. If not, I'd let Hogan walk and spread his $$ around to the rest.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd steer clear of the lowest tender for anyone except Bryant. The 2015 number for lowest-tender was $1.542M (middle was $2.356M and highest was $3.354M). I'm guessing that'll be more like $1.65M this year.

I would offer the following:

Powell - $750k

Charles - $750k

Rambo - $900k

Mills - $1M

Hogan - $1M

Bryant - lowest tender

That would be just under $6M...perfect if they can pull it off. If not, I'd let Hogan walk and spread his $$ around to the rest.

Yea that seems a reasonable starting point. I think Hogan will get closer to $2m on the market though.

Yea that seems a reasonable starting point. I think Hogan will get closer to $2m on the market though.

He very well may. If I'm handing out FA $$ for a 3rd/4th WR, I can just as easily get a guy like Cotchery or Lance Moore to do that.

He very well may. If I'm handing out FA $$ for a 3rd/4th WR, I can just as easily get a guy like Cotchery or Lance Moore to do that.

Yea I agree. I would like to keep Hogan rather than sign a bit of a clapped out older guy but when you are in a cap bind you can't prioritise 3rd and 4th WRs.

I will say again.... roll over $6m instead of wasting it on Harvin it is a different story.

Wait, wait, wait a minute. $9 million for rookies?

Our top 3 picks shouldn't be much more than $3 million combined. After that, it's the league minimum. How do you get to 9?

That number is wrong.

Rhino (and others) are correct. The Bills Rookie Pool will be about $5M (unless some major wheeling and dealing is done). But they don't need $5M to sign them. Each rookie will displace another player (Rule of 51). Each displaced player's salary will be about $500k and the Bills have 6 picks. $5M-(6x$500k)=$2M. The Bills will need to have $2M in effective cap space to sign their rookies.

http://overthecap.com/draft/

I forgot Rambo - yes he stays. I am a Hogan fan but he is a luxury we can't afford (a decent 3rd or 4th receiver) at this stage. I might try the lowest tender but I think someone would match it and he'd walk anyway.

I think more likely they keep Mills and one DL guy than both DL guys.

Not sure Hogan could be called a luxury

Cap hits by last year's draft picks:

Cam Erving (19) - $1.71M

Mitch Morse (49) - $0.85M

Alex Carter (80) - $0.55M

Jamil Douglas (114) - $0.55M

Karlos Williams (155) - $0.49M

B.J. Dubose (193) - $0.45M

^ That's $4.6M...add 10% inflation and you can expect that $5M should easily cover it.

And your cap calculation is top 51- if those 6 guys make the roster how much salary will we shed to make spots in the 53

Rhino (and others) are correct. The Bills Rookie Pool will be about $5M (unless some major wheeling and dealing is done). But they don't need $5M to sign them. Each rookie will displace another player (Rule of 51). Each displaced player's salary will be about $500k and the Bills have 6 picks. $5M-(6x$500k)=$2M. The Bills will need to have $2M in effective cap space to sign their rookies.

http://overthecap.com/draft/

Should've read it- you nailed it.

And that's assuming they don't replace someone a little pricier. That calculation is kind of worst case scenario for our cap.

And your cap calculation is top 51- if those 6 guys make the roster how much salary will we shed to make spots in the 53

Should've read it- you nailed it.

And that's assuming they don't replace someone a little pricier. That calculation is kind of worst case scenario for our cap.

Thanks. Yes. They could release higher priced players, but the lowest paid ones roll out of the Top 51 automatically. Until final cut down day at least. Then all players count.

Found this little gem on another site:

Spotrac ‏@spotrac · 2m2 minutes ago

Most 2016 Cap $ Cleared via Release, Restructure, Retirement
#Rams: $22.9M
#Bills: $21.3M
#Saints: $17.5M
#Lions: $12.3M
#Giants: $11.6M

This does not include possibles:

Restructuring GIlmore

Pay cut and restructure McKelvin

Pay cut and restructure Graham

Meatball?

Any comment buffalobillsforever?

@mikerodak

Charles Clay's new deal has been entered into system. Bills converted full amt ($10M) of roster bonus into signing bonus. No other changes.

With Charles Clay's cap number reduced from $13.5M to $6M, Bills now have $9.072M in Top 51 2016 cap space, per @ESPNStatsInfo.

So updating my previous rundown:

Current space - $9.072M

Estimated savings from pay cuts - Graham ($1.5M), McKelvin ($2M)

Estimated savings from extensions - Gilmore ($3M), Glenn ($3M)

That would put the team ~$18.5M under the cap.

$6M for RFA contracts, $5M for draft picks, and $4M for the cap hit on Incognito's new deal, and that leaves $3.5M to go shopping for a few key fits in FA.

That's if they do nothing with Kyle Williams or Manny Lawson (I'm assuming they won't).

Current space - $9.072M

$6M for RFA contracts, $5M for draft picks, and $4M for the cap hit on Incognito's new deal, and that leaves $3.5M to go shopping for a few key fits in FA.

That's if they do nothing with Kyle Williams or Manny Lawson (I'm assuming they won't).

I am thinking that they are really looking at that Kyle Williams cap hit of 8 million

Current space - $9.072M

Nice rundown. I'd even be ok with a little more for Incognito. I think Spotrac is looking at something like $5 million a year, and I'd rather see the Bills front load any guarantees.

Anyone ripping the Charles Clay contract due to its potential "dead money" should take solace in the fact that if he just plays as our #1 TE for the next 3 years there is no issue, because his cap hit is acceptable and after that the team can move on if needed. Hopefully he continues to be the #1 TE right up to the end of the deal. He's only 27.

I am thinking that they are really looking at that Kyle Williams cap hit of 8 million

I don't think this year. There's already a big hole with Mario leaving. I'd rather see them draft a replacement in the mid rounds this year (Whaley seems to think it's a deep draft there) and give him a year.

Now that we've cleared out the dead wood can we change the title of this thread?

Agreed. We are in far better shape than Miami.

Found this little gem on another site:

Spotrac ‏@spotrac · 2m2 minutes ago

Most 2016 Cap $ Cleared via Release, Restructure, Retirement

#Rams: $22.9M

#Bills: $21.3M

#Saints: $17.5M

#Lions: $12.3M

#Giants: $11.6M

This does not include possibles:

Restructuring GIlmore

Pay cut and restructure McKelvin

Pay cut and restructure Graham

Meatball?

Any comment buffalobillsforever?

Joe B. says we've already cleared up $23.3 million in cap space:

"With Williams, Dixon, Urbik, and the restructure of Charles Clay, the Bills will have cleared $23.325 million in cap space for the 2016 season."

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/bills-release-mario-williams-save-129m-in-16

In either case, we've opened up a lot of money without hurting the team very much (if we assume Mario would have played this year like he did last year).

Edited by hondo in seattle