We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

Says the guy that can't keep a front office job

They're paying all of 2 guys premium money (not counting Mario), and will add two more this year (Gilmore and Glenn).

General cap management says you can afford 5 or 6 premium salaries. Sammy is going to be the 5th; hopefully a QB will be the 6th.

You fill in around that.

It's fair to be critical of what the Bills have gotten for their cap dollars in recent years.

And if anyone knows how to win on the cheap it's Joe Banner.

His wins-per-cap-dollar-spent was astounding.............unfortunately for him the NFL isn't big market/small market like MLB so nobody makes a movie about you when you get to NFC Championships every year while being $30M under the cap.

All they remember is that you lost because you were a couple players short..........and ultimately that makes you look like a GM who can't close the deal.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Spotrac has updated their numbers after the Clay restructure. Your numbers are wrong.

The dead money is:

2016: 18M

2017: 13.5

2018: 9M

2019: 4.5M

I wrote about the "cap hits" not "dead money" because that shows the allocation of cap dollars. And in my example I noted that the dead money if he was cut prior to 2018 would be $9M which is exactly what Spotrac shows. Seriously, learn how the cap works.

I wrote about the "cap hits" not "dead money" because that shows the allocation of cap dollars. And in my example I noted that the dead money if he was cut prior to 2018 would be $9M which is exactly what Spotrac shows. Seriously, learn how the cap works.

Nice cherry picking. Your numbers were still wrong as Spotrac and Buffalo Rumblings have pointed out.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Direct reflection of increased league revenues.

GO BILLS!!!

Indeed. It will continue to rise with more and more revenue streams coming into the league's coffers. With the way it is trending, all of the hand wringing over the cap moving into the future is for naught.

It's the NFL the cap is crap!!!! If your willing to spend the money you can be fiscally irresponsible and still field a competitive team. The NFL salary cap is the hidden joke in the sports world. Even when you screw it up royally your one good drAft from watching underpaid rookies restore your dignity as a GM.

Nice cherry picking. Your numbers were still wrong as Spotrac and Buffalo Rumblings have pointed out.

They are exactly the same as Spotrac's numbers. But you don't understand that because you don't have the first clue how the NFL cap works or what the teminology means. And you have no desire (ability?) to learn, so it's not worth my time to try to educate you. Have a nice time spewing idiotic garbage.

Edited by BarleyNY

How is 2015 $5M, 2016 $6M, 2017 $9M, 2018 dead money $9M (total $29M) the same as this?

2016: 18M

2017: 13.5

2018: 9M

2019: 4.5M

You don't understand the example because you don't understand how the cap works. You don't know the difference between a cap hit and dead money. If you did, the example would make sense.

You don't understand the example because you don't understand how the cap works. You don't know the difference between a cap hit and dead money. If you did, the example would make sense.

I just went through it. I misread your post, I kept on reading that bottom portion as your pre and post restructure dead money projections which it is not. That was the confusion on my end.

I am very sorry.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Those were your dead money projections.

No they were not. It was an example that shows that Clay's total cap hits are equal regardless of whether or not his deal was restructured. The restructure just delays $7.5M of the cap hit to future years where it would add to dead money IF he is cut.

I just went through it. I misread your post, I kept on reading that bottom portion as your pre and post restructure dead money projections which it is not. That was the confusion on my end.

I am very sorry.

Okay. No worries. Wow, that was a long one. I'm sorry for snapping. Edited by BarleyNY

No they were not. It was an example that shows that Clay's total cap hits are equal regardless of whether or not his deal was restructured. The restructure just delays $7.5M of the cap hit to future years where it would add to dead money IF he is cut.

Okay. No worries. Wow, that was a long one. I'm sorry for snapping.

No problem. I deserve it. The issue was solely on my end and I have to take responsibilty for my oversight.

sportrac estimates currently $8.7 avail and if you assume mario's $12.9 savings = $21.6 available cap space

Sal estimates we were at $157 million before the Clay restructure, $150 million after. Mario release would drop that to $137 million, leaving $18 million in cap space, plus the $4.4 million in carry over cap from last year would total around $22 million in space. So yeah, what you said.

Still not enough, though. With Leo and Graham and perhaps some others, we need to get that closer to $30 million if possible.

Sal estimates we were at $157 million before the Clay restructure, $150 million after. Mario release would drop that to $137 million, leaving $18 million in cap space, plus the $4.4 million in carry over cap from last year would total around $22 million in space. So yeah, what you said.

Still not enough, though. With Leo and Graham and perhaps some others, we need to get that closer to $30 million if possible.

I would guess you're looking at $4M savings from those two.

You can save another $1M by cutting Dixon and another $2M-$3M by extending Gilmore.

There's your $30M

$22M will be fine...any more is great...there won't be a lot of top talent out there but the Bills will be in good shape...regardless what many believe