We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

In the Rex defense a safety who can cover is a key plan was Graham and Williams both with corner cover skills. When Aaron Williams couldn't play it changed A LOT of things. Do we want Bradham back

I think the market will define whether Bradham decides to stay. I would guess Bills tender him and offer.

I would not plan on it as a fan. I expect the draft to replace him also.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikerodak

It's worth noting that Bills saved $2.5M by releasing Fred Jackson and $2M by trading Matt Cassel. Accounts for most of $4.6M carryover.

Not really. Those releases did reduce the Bills cap by $4.5M, but they had to be replaced. Pick your replacements, but their releases saved more like $2.5M-$3.5M depending upon which players were on the roster in place of them.

Keep this in mind with the release of Mario. That'll reduce the Bills cap number by $12.9M, but another player will automatically roll up into the Top 51 and their $525K salary will reduce that gain to $12.4M. Of course, if a player like Incognito is re-signed his immediate cap hit will be reduced by $525k as that aforementioned player player rolls back off.

Not really. Those releases did reduce the Bills cap by $4.5M, but they had to be replaced. Pick your replacements, but their releases saved more like $2.5M-$3.5M depending upon which players were on the roster in place of them.

Keep this in mind with the release of Mario. That'll reduce the Bills cap number by $12.9M, but another player will automatically roll up into the Top 51 and their $525K salary will reduce that gain to $12.4M. Of course, if a player like Incognito is re-signed his immediate cap hit will be reduced by $525k as that aforementioned player player rolls back off.

They did replace them already. Fred with Karlos and a tackling dummy for Cassel.

Which is pretty much what people have been saying all along. Worries about the cap situation are overblown by folks who either don't understand the cap or have an agenda against Whaley.

Yeah. I've heard so many "the sky is falling" responses that it's confusing to me.

Yes, some hard choices will have to be made, but I'm not stressing too much.

EJ's contract was guaranteed 100% for 2016. He had 0 trade value, and even less value if we cut him. Cassel had to go. And Fred was replaced with a 5th round rookie and a scrap heap back. We saved... pretty much 4.5 mil.

Yeah. I've heard so many "the sky is falling" responses that it's confusing to me.

Yes, some hard choices will have to be made, but I'm not stressing too much.

That's the only way to be in regards to the cap. The truth is the Bills (and every competitive team) will be right up against the cap each and every year. And each and every year they will have to make one or two tough calls (tough being relative) or restructure a deal here and there -- but there will be ways to get under the cap and make the moves that need to be made.

There is a reason why capologists have jobs in the NFL, they know how to structure contracts in such a way to leave the team outs.

The only real change for Buffalo fans is we've now got an owner who's willing to spend money beyond cash to cap. We used to have to worry about spending too much money, that's no longer an issue. The only concern is not backing ourselves into cap hell -- which, despite the hype by the few, isn't the case currently -- and is exactly why JO has a job. He's done a pretty good job of it, all things considered.

(this coming from someone who wrongly felt JO was a plague on this franchise while Ralph was at the helm -- mainly because I didn't want to pin it all on Ralph)

IMO I think the bills are gonna ask meatball to take a pay cut to stay

Clay, McKelvin, Graham already being worked

Boobie and Felton likely gone

Mario is not coming back

The bills have this under control....people just need to be realistic on their expectations.....Whaley has stated over and over again it was about our OWN free agents

also im not positive Bradham comes back....I am not sure that he fits Rex Ryan's D as a linebacker anyway.

IMO I think the bills are gonna ask meatball to take a pay cut to stay

Clay, McKelvin, Graham already being worked

Boobie and Felton likely gone

Mario is not coming back

The bills have this under control....people just need to be realistic on their expectations.....Whaley has stated over and over again it was about our OWN free agents

also im not positive Bradham comes back....I am not sure that he fits Rex Ryan's D as a linebacker anyway.

Felton gone?

Because?

Honest question.

Because they dont utilize him to his max productivity and he is costing a ton as a FB

If they just want a blocking FB? You can find those for much cheaper.

@ByTimGraham

NFC GM on Bills: "They have a lot to envy, but their salary-cap situation is the worst in the NFL. ... It's criminal mismanagement."

@BuffRumblings

Buffalo Rumblings Retweeted Tim Graham

This guy should read @BuffRumblings & @tommitchell31's salary cap posts, IMO.

love Tim. great insight and always upbeat even when the days are dark....

Because they dont utilize him to his max productivity and he is costing a ton as a FB

If they just want a blocking FB? You can find those for much cheaper.

I rewatched some of his play because i though he kinda sucked after the hype preseason.

Though he had small snap count i do not think he is gone. maybe i leave that to what Roman thinks though. : )

Boobie has outlived his stay.

So. Freddie's Ghost is an NFC GM right?

thats what i figured, am i wrong on that count also ?

Hmm.

EJ's contract was guaranteed 100% for 2016. He had 0 trade value, and even less value if we cut him. Cassel had to go. And Fred was replaced with a 5th round rookie and a scrap heap back. We saved... pretty much 4.5 mil.

Two other players took their spots on the team, even if you want to argue that those players were at different positions.

Incidentally, EJ does have a guaranteed salary but it also has offsets. If he is cut and signed by another team for the 2016 season, then his pay in 2016 will be deducted from what the Bills owe him.

@ByTimGraham

NFC GM on Bills: "They have a lot to envy, but their salary-cap situation is the worst in the NFL. ... It's criminal mismanagement."

To have so little cap room necessitating the excise of bad contracts and have their starting QB under contract for punter type money is exactly that...criminal mismanagement.

Not as bad as the Cowboys and 49ers 20 years ago, but in this age of competition it's bad. As Bill from NYC has said, the Bills are fast and loose with resources. Eventually that catches up to you.

Founder of OverTheCap

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC 8h8 hours ago Irvington, NJ

#Bills can create about $8M in cap space with restructure of Clay's contract. Wouldnt be a wise move IMO.

0 retweets 0 likes

@nshosho36 Its taking a really bad contract and making it worse, locking you in for more years than you need to be locked in

@nshosho36 They wont extend they just convert salary to a bonus. Dead money skyrockets as do future cap charges. Makes it harder to cut

0 retweets 0 likes
:thumbsup:
Edited by BuffaloBillsForever