We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I fully expect a Mario replacement at 19....provided that the draft plays out in a way that is possible.

I believe Klos63 is suggesting you draft the replacement a year, two or three prior to replacing the starter. And, that you are confident, based on NFL success in practice or game, that they can assume the starter role. Not roll the dice on the same draft hoping they can fill the spot. Which I agree replacements need to be proactive.

i.e., we conjured 3 or 4 defensive needs out of thin air by hiring Ryan (while somehow not adding anything to offense or special teams either)

Yet that talent was good enough in 2014 to be one of the best defenses in the league.

Well you know what I wouldn't do if I was a GM? I wouldn't hire a guy whose system I don't have the talent for, and then wipe my hands and say it's not my fault we don't have the talent.

I don't know it would've been better, but i believe that to be true

I'd be curious to see this team if Whaley would have full football control. At least we would know where the buck stopped

Yeah, at the time I wasn't for Jackson but did like the job that he did last year with Dalton. I was fine with Rex but he wasn't my 1st choice. My issues with him are certainly a little MMQB.

In terms of Whaley, outside of EJ, I don't have many issues with the job he's done. The team has plenty of talent. I watched the playoffs and top to bottom the Bills talent is right there with those teams. They are poorly coached and undisciplined. I guess Whaley can take some responsibility for not finding the proper leaders. The issue to me though is way, way more on the coaching than on the personnel people.

May I ask when you heard this? When the hire first came in, later in the offseason, or when the growing feeling of nausea started around week 8?

Around training camp Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well you know what I wouldn't do if I was a GM? I wouldn't hire a guy whose system I don't have the talent for, and then wipe my hands and say it's not my fault we don't have the talent.

Chan...how many times must we go over this...WHALEY DID NOT PREFER RR

RR doesnt even report to Whaley....he reports to El Pegula

Edited by John from Hemet

You can take the info however you want. Just keep in mind this would be the 1st piece of info that I ever shared that would be fiction.

I'm not talking about your info. I'm talking about JfH's fanfiction that Whaley was railroaded into hiring Rex and was against it from the start.

I'm not talking about your info. I'm talking about JfH's fanfiction that Whaley was railroaded into hiring Rex and was against it from the start.

Honest question: Is there any reliable information regarding Whaley's preferences for/against any of the HC candidates? Or are people just trying to read things into the situation? Obviously Rex was the Pegulas choice, but I have no idea what Whaley's thoughts were on him or any other candidate. I know the story about Rex telling saying he'd keep Schwartz and then flipping on that immediately after being hired. If true, Rex wouldn't be the first guy to tell someone what he wants to hear to get a job and Whaley could have fallen for the same line. It takes some big brass ones to do something like that so quickly, however. Of course, it also could have been a face saving measure for the Pegulas who had given Schwartz some assurances. Maybe the Pegulas intended to keep Schwartz, but then Rex became available and they thought he was worth losing Schwartz for. That kind of thing happens and that scenario makes a lot more sense. In any event, we are where we are and I think Whaley and Rex are going to live or die together here in Buffalo.

Honest question: Is there any reliable information regarding Whaley's preferences for/against any of the HC candidates? Or are people just trying to read things into the situation? Obviously Rex was the Pegulas choice, but I have no idea what Whaley's thoughts were on him or any other candidate. I know the story about Rex telling saying he'd keep Schwartz and then flipping on that immediately after being hired. If true, Rex wouldn't be the first guy to tell someone what he wants to hear to get a job and Whaley could have fallen for the same line. It takes some big brass ones to do something like that so quickly, however. Of course, it also could have been a face saving measure for the Pegulas who had given Schwartz some assurances. Maybe the Pegulas intended to keep Schwartz, but then Rex became available and they thought he was worth losing Schwartz for. That kind of thing happens and that scenario makes a lot more sense. In any event, we are where we are and I think Whaley and Rex are going to live or die together here in Buffalo.

The last sentence in your post is sad, but probably true. Who knows what we'll get in our next GM? I think he could have built a champion here and might end up doing it elsewhere. Rex, although seemingly a good dude, has truly doomed us for a while.

Kirby's info has always been pretty solid.

My take on the hiring was to give the Pegulas the benefit of the doubt. I still refuse to believe that the Pegulas forced a HC on their GM, who he didn't want. If they did, that's somehow worse than Whaley wanting Rex in terms of the future of the Buffalo Bills.

Cheer up Buckaroo!

According to most here Whaley's done a spectacular job. LOL

I'm thinking Whaley should be the pre-emptive choice for NFL executive of the year for 2016.

Because it's not about your W-L record, or how well you manage the cap or draft. It's much presumed talent you've assembled.

Edited by BillsVet