We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

I think that is fair. I viewed it more of "everyone's hatred for his contract has clouded their view on his performance." The contract that he has is the going rate for a successful RB at that point in his career. The 3 guy's above him and 3 below him in contract value are Peterson, Marshawn, Foster then Demarco, Forte and Stewart. As of today Peterson is the only guy in that group that I would rather have. Forte and Stewart are pretty good players but they are not as dynamic IMO. I guess that maybe I don't hate the contract as much as some others.

oh, i agree and the contract dislike vs front office distaste is a pretty heavy overlap in the same vocal posters.... i dont hate it either, as its the going rate for established vet backs and he is certainly that. you go to the next tier and guys like vereen, spiller, ingram, gore, matthews.... i put him ahead of those guys still, even if hes lost a half step.

i do have concern how long until its a full step, and if it might happen too early in the deal to make it a smart one, but such is life. sometimes a gm/hc have to call a shot on a key player that they think will make the team better. doesnt always work, but it might here still. shady is the type of talent that can make it pay off.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, i agree and the contract dislike vs front office distaste is a pretty heavy overlap in the same vocal posters.... i dont hate it either, as its the going rate for established vet backs and he is certainly that. you go to the next tier and guys like vereen, spiller, ingram, gore, matthews.... i put him ahead of those guys still, even if hes lost a half step.

i do have concern how long until its a full step, and if it might happen too early in the deal to make it a smart one, but such is life. sometimes a gm/hc have to call a shot on a key player that they think will make the team better. doesnt always work, but it might here still. shady is the type of talent that can make it pay off.

This is true, and to be fair, if the HC debacle hadn't happened, going from injured Freddy/Boobie/Brown to injured McCoy/Karlos was a huge jump that should've propelled us to the playoffs.

This is true, and to be fair, if the HC debacle hadn't happened, going from injured Freddy/Boobie/Brown to injured McCoy/Karlos was a huge jump that should've propelled us to the playoffs.

That is kind of how I feel. The HC was the #1 issue with the team IMO. They had improved play all over the offense and had virtually the same defensive talent back (probably improved with the addition of Darby). Somehow they went from one of the league's best defenses to one of the worst. Injuries played a part but that is not the only reason. Rex did a really bad job last year.

That is kind of how I feel. The HC was the #1 issue with the team IMO. They had improved play all over the offense and had virtually the same defensive talent back (probably improved with the addition of Darby). Somehow they went from one of the league's best defenses to one of the worst. Injuries played a part but that is not the only reason. Rex did a really bad job last year.

It was another part of going "all in." Hard to win a jackpot when your pocket aces turn into a 2 and 7.

It was another part of going "all in." Hard to win a jackpot when your pocket aces turn into a 2 and 7.

FWIW, I have little confidence that he will do better this year. He hired his incompetent brother to assist his incompetent DC. I am hoping that they will stay healthier and get a few bounces. The defense was as bad as that talent would allow last year. If they get back even somewhere between where they were 2 years ago and this past year, the team should win a bunch of games. I have a hard time believing that they won't be better.

The offense should get a little better as Tyrod goes into year 2 and they finally started using Watkins. An injury to Taylor next year though could have this team in rough shape. I don't like the Bills chances any time that EJ is under center.

FWIW, I have little confidence that he will do better this year. He hired his incompetent brother to assist his incompetent DC. I am hoping that they will stay healthier and get a few bounces. The defense was as bad as that talent would allow last year. If they get back even somewhere between where they were 2 years ago and this past year, the team should win a bunch of games. I have a hard time believing that they won't be better.

The offense should get a little better as Tyrod goes into year 2 and they finally started using Watkins. An injury to Taylor next year though could have this team in rough shape. I don't like the Bills chances any time that EJ is under center.

You threw me here. You believe it won't be better or that it will be?

Most teams in the NFL are SOL with a QB injury in regards to playoff chances, so that's much ado about nothing to me. It does affect my opinion on a long-term deal, but not the coaching job.

Edited by FireChan

You threw me here. You believe it won't be better or that it will be?

Most teams in the NFL are SOL with a QB injury in regards to playoff chances, so that's much ado about nothing to me. It does affect my opinion on a long-term deal, but not the coaching job.

Sorry, I think that the Bills will be better but I don't expect them to be better coached. The defense will be better because they can't be worse but I don't think the scheme is effective.

Sorry, I think that the Bills will be better but I don't expect them to be better coached. The defense will be better because they can't be worse but I don't think the scheme is effective.

I really really hate the marriage between our talent and the Rex scheme. I just don't think we have the personnel. Obviously, that may change in the coming months, but man oh man does this team need another DROY candidate in the worst way for us to be good.

Salary-cap space primer: Who has the most room?

With a few weeks left before the free-agency market opens, here are the teams with the most salary-cap space available. Conor Orr breaks down which teams have the most room to maneuver.

Salary-cap space primer: Who's at cap ceiling?

With a few weeks left before the free-agency market opens, here are the teams with the most salary cap space available. Which teams have the least amount of room? Conor Orr examines.

Searcy maybe?

Searcy more than Levitre IMO. We are not positive he would have continuing to make gains under Rex but in 2015 he was very, very good.

But with salary cap issues Buffalo has it would have been hard to pay him an average $5,937,500 salary with $10.5M guaranteed and $4.5M signing bonus.

He's pretty good too. Is he that much better than Rambo or Graham or Duke that he was worth keeping? I would argue that they made the right decision to let him go because of the other guys back there. It is really Aaron Williams injury that caused the problem. Their best S went out and made everyone look a little worse.

Aaron Williams has other issues last year - he was a loose cannon with frequent penalties. Searcy had 2 penalties last year for 14 yards. Aaron Williams may be the play maker but Searcy was steadying hand in 2014.

I knew how close we were to the new cap, but the worst? While I know why, I can't understand how the Pegula's are going to be okay with this for long.

Yes, we just extended Whaley, but 9-7, 8-8, no signs of improvement and spending more than everyone else? I mean, logic would dictate there's a huge problem here, right?

Sure, refer to all the other threads where we cut Mario, but that's just to re-sign other impending FA's.

Either way, we are gonna be up there and I have to imagine that the leash is going to be short, contracts for Rex and Whaley or not.

Cheer up Buckaroo!

According to most here Whaley's done a spectacular job. LOL

Searcy maybe?

I am in agreement with those that say that it often takes free agents a full year to fully settle in with their new team.........but his performance in TN last year was purdy abysmal.

The renowened ball-hawk Dolores finally got his hands on a football in week 17.

Apparently when QB throw passes up for grabs in the face of a front that rolls up 50+ sacks it makes safeties look better.

Edited by #BADOL

3-4 DE, NT, ILB, S. And one could argue OLB. And RT. And RG. And WR.

i.e., we conjured 3 or 4 defensive needs out of thin air by hiring Ryan (while somehow not adding anything to offense or special teams either)

Edited by dayman