We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

Kirby's info has always been pretty solid.

My take on the hiring was to give the Pegulas the benefit of the doubt. I still refuse to believe that the Pegulas forced a HC on their GM, who he didn't want. If they did, that's somehow worse than Whaley wanting Rex in terms of the future of the Buffalo Bills.

I'm not discounting Kirby's info. Perhaps Whaley preferred Hue Jackson, but Hue decided he preferred Cleveland. That doesn't tell me what Whaley thought of Rex. Or did I miss more info from Kirby? I would have LOVED a Jackson and Schwartz duo in Buffalo. That would have been a killer combo.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby's info has always been pretty solid.

My take on the hiring was to give the Pegulas the benefit of the doubt. I still refuse to believe that the Pegulas forced a HC on their GM, who he didn't want. If they did, that's somehow worse than Whaley wanting Rex in terms of the future of the Buffalo Bills.

I have also long since said that I was told Whaley was very high on Hue Jackson from the only source I have in the NFL and one who does not peddle rubbish information and gossip. I don't know that he was the preferred choice - I acknowledge that - but the source was adamant that Whaley was very high on Jackson. However, I have also repeated here countless times that I do not believe that the Pegulas would have hired a Head Coach that Whaley was not on board with.

It is perfectly foreseeable for me that Jackson was the number 1 candidate but the Pegulas didn't feel a strong connection with him. Rex (who was one of the last interviews) immediately did connect with them and interviewed strongly. Whaley thought that Rex was a good choice who he could work with (even if not his absolute #1), the Pegulas were excited about him and so the conversation became "why not Rex then?" and it went from there.

I agree that what is worse is if Whaley really didn't like Rex as a choice and allowed himself to be pushed into it. If that is the case then he is unsuitable to be a GM regardless.

I'm not discounting Kirby's info. Perhaps Whaley preferred Hue Jackson, but Hue decided he preferred Cleveland. That doesn't tell me what Whaley thought of Rex. Or did I miss more info from Kirby? I would have LOVED a Jackson and Schwartz duo in Buffalo. That would have been a killer combo.

Oh, no there's nothing on that.

I have also long since said that I was told Whaley was very high on Hue Jackson from the only source I have in the NFL and one who does not peddle rubbish information and gossip. I don't know that he was the preferred choice - I acknowledge that - but the source was adamant that Whaley was very high on Jackson. However, I have also repeated here countless times that I do not believe that the Pegulas would have hired a Head Coach that Whaley was not on board with.

It is perfectly foreseeable for me that Jackson was the number 1 candidate but the Pegulas didn't feel a strong connection with him. Rex (who was one of the last interviews) immediately did connect with them and interviewed strongly. Whaley thought that Rex was a good choice who he could work with (even if not his absolute #1), the Pegulas were excited about him and so the conversation became "why not Rex then?" and it went from there.

I agree that what is worse is if Whaley really didn't like Rex as a choice and allowed himself to be pushed into it. If that is the case then he is unsuitable to be a GM regardless.

Right. That's what I believe. And thus, the failures (and successes) of Rex Ryan reflect on Whaley.

Huh?

I've been told that the loss of Brandon Spikes and Searcy were big reasons for the defensive fall off... Lol.

Spikes, Searcy, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams. Then add the losses of Gilmore and Bradham in the 2nd half of the season. Mario Williams pouting.

Very different defense. Anyone that thinks Schwartz would have had a top 10 defense is delusional.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Spikes, Searcy, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams. Then add the losses of Gilmore and Bradham in the 2nd half of the season. Mario Williams pouting.

Very different defense. Anyone that thinks Schwartz would have had a top 10 defense is delusional.

Would Mario have been pouting? Or having another 10+ sack season?

Would Mario have been pouting? Or having another 10+ sack season?

Never know with Mario, he pouted in 2012. But the point is the defense was very different personnel wise.

And yet he already did.

No. Did you read?

@AlbertBreer

Bills entered the offseason with over $160M committed to 46 players. Cutting Mario Williams saves $12.9M. Tagging Glenn will cost > $13M.

Bills haven't made a single cut or restructure yet. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Whaley preferred Hue but must have been overruled because Rex was hired and Jackson remained a coordinator. I also have no idea how close they were in Whaley's mind. They may have been 1 and 1A and very close or they may have been a big gap. I'd like to think if there was a big gap Rex wouldn't have been hired. That leads me to believe that they were at least relatively close.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Whaley preferred Hue but must have been overruled because Rex was hired and Jackson remained a coordinator. I also have no idea how close they were in Whaley's mind. They may have been 1 and 1A and very close or they may have been a big gap. I'd like to think of there was a big gap Rex wouldn't have been hired. That leads me to believe that they were at least relatively close.

Greg Roman was the tie breaker IMO. I really believe it was down to Jackson and Roman before Rex was even a consideration.

How could Jackson know he preferred Cleveland while OC of Bengals and Browns already had a HC?

Yeah, at the time I wasn't for Jackson but did like the job that he did last year with Dalton. I was fine with Rex but he wasn't my 1st choice. My issues with him are certainly a little MMQB.

In terms of Whaley, outside of EJ, I don't have many issues with the job he's done. The team has plenty of talent. I watched the playoffs and top to bottom the Bills talent is right there with those teams. They are poorly coached and undisciplined. I guess Whaley can take some responsibility for not finding the proper leaders. The issue to me though is way, way more on the coaching than on the personnel people.

Around training camp

yea - EJ i didnt LOVE but i liked the trade back and get your guy with EJ. McCoy and Rex were both "my gut says no, but i get how someone could feel different." both when the news broke were "did we just really do that" calls to friends/family, but talked myself into them some.

otherwise most moves have been positive from the get-go in my book.

I haven't paid a ton of attention to the cap and won't until we see what the situation actually looks like once cuts are over with. I anticipate seeing Mario,Kyle, Graham and Dixon all gone. Possibly carpenter as well. Pay cut for Leo and restructure for Clay. If they agree to them, pay cuts instead of actual cuts for Kyle and Graham but I'm not holding my breath. Then we will see what the cap actually rises to this year. Only then do we know the "situation." I don't think they will try to keep any of the above at the expense of the two players they want to keep, Glenn and Richie. If they need to tag Glenn they need to make a couple cuts this week prior to the tag deadline. Mario plus another like Dixon.

Edited by YoloinOhio

We are not that bad. Cut Mario and re-sign Glenn and Incognito, pay cuts for Leo and Lawson and sign Sanu or Barron.

Whaley has done a really good job IMO. The talent on this roster isn't a issue. The Bills are one of the most talented teams in the league. The coaching last year was a HUGE problem. If that defense played anywhere near where we thought that they would, the Bills were Super Bowl contenders.

exactly. We have plenty of options to open cap space. Restructure Clay or Hughes. Dump McK, Graham, and/or Urbik.

Basically, the cap was an issue for us in past years because of Ralph's Cash to the Cap policy. Now that we have owners that don't mind spending money, the cap is less of an issue to me.

I am in agreement with those that say that it often takes free agents a full year to fully settle in with their new team.........but his performance in TN last year was purdy abysmal.

The renowened ball-hawk Dolores finally got his hands on a football in week 17.

Apparently when QB throw passes up for grabs in the face of a front that rolls up 50+ sacks it makes safeties look better.

I was not a fan of D Searcy so much either. Steady , not bad against the run. But someone was going to pay him. Much like Levitre.

And who thought Duke Williams was not going to step up?

hey i don't know check the team rushing totals you will find your playoff teams (except ne) right up there

Shady is a difference maker lets let him have a healthy year

He has been here......ONE YEAR

And has been relatively healthy in the years before he got here

It could be that this past year was a exception not the rule on injuries?