We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

This link will describe it all in detail to you. Post restructure it is $9mill per year and 19.5M, 13.5M, 9M and 4.5M respectively in dead money.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/3/24/8284785/charles-clay-contract-buffalo-bills-details-cap-hits-future-restructure

Dead Money? He's been cut? Dammit! :lol:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead Money? He's been cut? Dammit! :lol:

The dead money involved now makes him a player that gives the GM absolutely no flexibilty. They essentially guaranteed his entire contract now because of the ramifications involved in cutting him if there are injuries, decline or both.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The dead money involved now makes him a player that gives the GM absolutely no flexibilty. They essentially guaranteed his entire contract now because of the ramifications involved in cutting him now.

OK. He'll be around for awhile. I believe that was the plan when they signed him.

This link will describe it all in detail to you. Post restructure it is $9mill per year and 19.5M, 13.5M, 9M and 4.5M respectively in dead money.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/3/24/8284785/charles-clay-contract-buffalo-bills-details-cap-hits-future-restructure

That article is misleading regarding dead money. Those aren't cumulative numbers. Clay's total compensation doesn't change with the restructure. Neither does his guaranteed money. The dead money is greater in later years only because the $10M guaranteed roster bonus that would all hit this year is being converted to a signing bonus and spread out over 4 years. In short, a future dead money cap hit would be larger because we aren't taking the hit this year. Edited by BarleyNY

That article is misleading regarding dead money. Those aren't cumulative numbers. Clay's total compensation doesn't change with the restructure. Neither does his guaranteed money. The dead money is greater in later years only because the $10M guaranteed roster bonus that would all hit this year is being converted to a signing bonus and spread out over 4 years.

What are your numbers?

What are your numbers?

Here is the current structure:

http://overthecap.com/player/charles-clay/675

The $10M guaranteed roster bonus is being converted to a signing bonus.

His previous cap hits from 2015-2019 were: $5M, $13.5M, $6.5M, $6.5M, 6.5M (total $38M)

His new hits will be: $5M, $6M, $9M, $9M, $9M (total $38M)

That assumes he plays out his deal. If he is released or traded prior to the end of the deal, then the dead money would be the total of whatever guaranteed earnings and future prorated roster bonuses were left. For instance, if he was cut between the 2017 and 2018 seasons:

Previous structure cap hits: 2015 $5M, 2016 $13.5M, 2017 $6.5M, 2018 dead money $4M (total $29M)

New structure cap hits: 2015 $5M, 2016 $6M, 2017 $9M, 2018 dead money $9M (total $29M)

The potential dead money hit in a future year would suck, but it would be better to taking a big portion of that hit this year.

@JoeBanner13

Bills head down the predictable path to cap hell. We have seen this before.

Says the guy that can't keep a front office job

They're paying all of 2 guys premium money (not counting Mario), and will add two more this year (Gilmore and Glenn).

General cap management says you can afford 5 or 6 premium salaries. Sammy is going to be the 5th; hopefully a QB will be the 6th.

You fill in around that.

Says the guy that can't keep a front office job

They're paying all of 2 guys premium money (not counting Mario), and will add two more this year (Gilmore and Glenn).

General cap management says you can afford 5 or 6 premium salaries. Sammy is going to be the 5th; hopefully a QB will be the 6th.

You fill in around that.

100% right.

And the positions they will be paying the premiums to are:

- Left tackle

- #1 corner

- top pass rushing DE

- top 3 in the league DT

- #1 WR

- Hopefully Tyrod or other QB

If you are paying premium salaries to the premium positions that is a good, sensible, cap management.

What it does mean is they probably have too many mid-range salaries (at the moment I'd put Clay, McCoy, A.Williams, K.Williams, Wood, McKelvin, Graham, Urbik and Lawson in the mid-range bracket). I think they need to reduce those 9 to 4 or 5 mid range salaries over the next two years.

Unless the cap goes up dramatically the next couple of years, we're going to be tight every year for the next few years when you consider the guys stated above to keep them. The draft is our answer so the endless threads on picking up this free agent or that one is not going to happen.

The good news is Whaley has drafted well overall the last few years so if he can add three to four starters each year, that will keep our cap in line. The one i really hate to lose, but could be on the bubble is Kyle Williams. It's too bad he wouldn't consider a small pay cut to retire here. We won't be able to afford his current contract beyond this year.

Unless the cap goes up dramatically the next couple of years, we're going to be tight every year for the next few years when you consider the guys stated above to keep them. The draft is our answer so the endless threads on picking up this free agent or that one is not going to happen.

The good news is Whaley has drafted well overall the last few years so if he can add three to four starters each year, that will keep our cap in line. The one i really hate to lose, but could be on the bubble is Kyle Williams. It's too bad he wouldn't consider a small pay cut to retire here. We won't be able to afford his current contract beyond this year.

How do you know he won't consider a small pay cut? Has he said anything (cannot find a link on quick google and google news searches), or is that just speculation. I suspect Kyle will either restructure or accept a cut, if it helps keep other players, but that's just conjecture based on his reputation and apparent demeanor.

Here is the current structure:

http://overthecap.com/player/charles-clay/675

The $10M guaranteed roster bonus is being converted to a signing bonus.

His previous cap hits from 2015-2019 were: $5M, $13.5M, $6.5M, $6.5M, 6.5M (total $38M)

His new hits will be: $5M, $6M, $9M, $9M, $9M (total $38M)

That assumes he plays out his deal. If he is released or traded prior to the end of the deal, then the dead money would be the total of whatever guaranteed earnings and future prorated roster bonuses were left. For instance, if he was cut between the 2017 and 2018 seasons:

Previous structure cap hits: 2015 $5M, 2016 $13.5M, 2017 $6.5M, 2018 dead money $4M (total $29M)

New structure cap hits: 2015 $5M, 2016 $6M, 2017 $9M, 2018 dead money $9M (total $29M)

The potential dead money hit in a future year would suck, but it would be better to taking a big portion of that hit this year.

So Spotrac has updated their numbers after the Clay restructure. Your numbers are wrong.

The dead money is:

2016: 18M

2017: 13.5

2018: 9M

2019: 4.5M

Isn't this the last year of his contract?

So, with Clay restructured they have a little over $8 mill in cap space now if my math is right.

Free up a few million more with some restructures and Stephon's extension... and we haven't even addressed Mario's situation yet.

"Worst cap situation" is becoming a bit more hyperbolic by the week.

So the sky isn't falling? (still? again?)

So Spotrac has updated their numbers after the Clay restructure. Your numbers are wrong.

The dead money is:

The only difference that it makes would be in the event that he simply can't play anymore. Mind you, he started 13 games last year--it wasn't like he spent the season on IR.

He also averaged over 4 catches per game in a heavily run-oriented offense with a QB that--as I'm sure you know--has a relative weakness in seeing the middle of the field.

Unless they're planning on not having him around next year, then they'll reach the break-point of the contract with him.

The dead money is:

Yep. I don't agree with your general premise on the Bills' cap situation or on Whaley but I agree with you on the Clay deal - it is a bad contract and it does hurt the Bills because of the % guaranteed. I just do not understand why they would guarantee that much money to a tight end..... even more so if the rumours about his long term health are true.

Who would have thunk a GM would plan on his prized TE (who just turned 27 on the Feb 13th, happy belated birthday :beer:) would be on the team until he turned 29?

Damn. And I was so hoping we'd cut Clay this year. You know - to save cap space next year and beyond. :wallbash: