We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't even factor in the guy's with terrible contracts that are still on the roster (Byrd, Spiller, Strief and Ellerbee). They have by far the worst situation in the league.

Indeed.

And parting ways with those guys would result in another $12M in dead money.

By contrast, Buffalo's dead money hit for letting go of inflated contracts like Graham and Kyle would be a little over $4M next year.

That tends to happen when you're A) paying a QB big money who can play the position and B) when you're trying to surround that QB with talent because the goal is winning the SB.

The Bills are paying punter money to their QB and still have major issues, the result of mortgaging their future last off-season. New Orleans may have made mistakes, but the Bills are worse for not paying a QB and having a very similar level problem.

The saints mistakes are graham and gallettedead money

Nanker, you're always good for a one liner. I love that.

As PTR and a couple stated above, we have with no add to the cap $46 mil. It always goes up so that is probably $50-52 mil conservatively as they had a 412 mil increase in 2016 from 2015.

That is more than enough if TT proves he can repeat and even improve with quick throws over the middle, and Gilmore. That keeps our best players here and probably some extra for some role players. I'm with Polian that in our situation it is much wiser to build through the draft and take 2nd wave players. Not the blockbuster guys that milk you most of the guys that went on the first day.

Now that we are in the second to third wave, I wish we could cut any other dead weight to get Jhari Evans for maybe $3 mil for two years. Miller could be the swing backing up the three in the interior, get to learn for a year to get better, and our line would be awesome.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

Should have money in 2017

$43M in estimated room for 2017. If Gilmore, Glenn and Taylor are all signed to long term deals you'll see that vast majority of that space disappear fast. Gilmore and Glenn getting LTDs this offseason would result in cap hits that would easily eliminate half of the space in 2017. Of course those deals need worked out. Taylor obviously has to prove himself to get a big deal - and the first year cap hit in such a deal can be a lot less than the average yearly hit - but QBs are getting paid large. I wouldn't plan on a ton of space in 2017 unless the Bills are still looking for a starting QB and/or a starting LT or CB.

$43M in estimated room for 2017. If Gilmore, Glenn and Taylor are all signed to long term deals you'll see that vast majority of that space disappear fast. Gilmore and Glenn getting LTDs this offseason would result in cap hits that would easily eliminate half of the space in 2017. Of course those deals need worked out. Taylor obviously has to prove himself to get a big deal - and the first year cap hit in such a deal can be a lot less than the average yearly hit - but QBs are getting paid large. I wouldn't plan on a ton of space in 2017 unless the Bills are still looking for a starting QB and/or a starting LT or CB.

The cap will likely go up next year, though, so that estimated $43M is more likely going to be closer to $50M, maybe even more.

Glenn, Gilmore, and Taylor will take a big chunk of that, but with some creative contract structuring, there could still be plenty left over.

The cap will likely go up next year, though, so that estimated $43M is more likely going to be closer to $50M, maybe even more.

Glenn, Gilmore, and Taylor will take a big chunk of that, but with some creative contract structuring, there could still be plenty left over.

Agreed. That said, Taylor stepping up big right now and staying healthy would be huge (ala teams like the Seahawks and even saints) winning it all with the perk of the cheap qb. Our window won't slam shut but it's about as wide open as we could hope for right now.

Sure, the cap will probably go up another $10M or so. But the Bills will have some additional second year salaries from their draft picks too. I think we will see the Bills part ways with some more vets like Kyle to create some space. It should be better than this season, but the Bills won't have a ton of room.

Sure, the cap will probably go up another $10M or so. But the Bills will have some additional second year salaries from their draft picks too. I think we will see the Bills part ways with some more vets like Kyle to create some space. It should be better than this season, but the Bills won't have a ton of room.

it's fluid.

Gilmore Glenn and Taylor might add up to 40-45m. just a wild guess.

Better hope Bills draft well! Ha : )

it's fluid.

Gilmore Glenn and Taylor might add up to 40-45m. just a wild guess.

Better hope Bills draft well! Ha : )

I HOPE those three add up to $40M-$45M. That would mean TT lit it up and that's a great place to be. The Bills put themselves into a position where drafting well is a must. Let's hope they nail this one.

I HOPE those three add up to $40M-$45M. That would mean TT lit it up and that's a great place to be. The Bills put themselves into a position where drafting well is a must. Let's hope they nail this one.

Damn straight Brother. that was my meaning !

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

Should have money in 2017

that $43 mil in 2017 gets completely used up with Glenn ($14), Gilmore ($12) and Tyrod ($20).

i'm not saying this is a bad thing....

i'm saying that there is little to no money for adding an impact free agent.

while the 8-8 bills are maintaining status quo by signing their own......we are losing ground to other teams (like oak, hou) making major improvements by adding free agents.

don't forget to save some serious money for Sammy ($15) in 2018. The 5th year option for a Top 10 pick is the Franchise tag value ($14.6 mil).

Edited by papazoid

Many thing will happen between now and 2018 to be worrying about Sammy's contract

What will probably happen is that our coaching staff will create more holes to be filled on defense.

People blame the GM, the coaches, the schemes and sometimes injuries. In our situation we had spent a lot of money but did so on very good players. The coach frittered that away so that puts the pressure on the GM to find cheap players that can contribute in the short term. In the long run I have to believe the most important thing will be to maintain enough talent on the roster that when the antiquated defense blows up again that the new coach/scheme will have enough pieces to get on board and hit the ground running. We have enough talent that we should be able to maintain enough important parts to do that.

No they didn't. They put themselves in a situation where they are retaining their own great players by drafting well. Which is where you want to spend your money. This is how it happens when your successful.

that $43 mil in 2017 gets completely used up with Glenn ($14), Gilmore ($12) and Tyrod ($20).

i'm not saying this is a bad thing....

i'm saying that there is little to no money for adding an impact free agent.

while the 8-8 bills are maintaining status quo by signing their own......we are losing ground to other teams (like oak, hou) making major improvements by adding free agents.

don't forget to save some serious money for Sammy ($15) in 2018. The 5th year option for a Top 10 pick is the Franchise tag value ($14.6 mil).

Assuming Tyrod earns a Russell Wilson deal, then he, Glenn, and Gilmore will add up to approximately $37M on the 2017 cap.

Figuring the cap rises by $10M, that brings the $53M in space down to $16M. I calculated RFAs to be around $9M for next year, so you're down to $7M.

Kyle Williams and Corey Graham will almost certainly be gone, which adds back another $10M or so, getting us back up to $17M.

$11M of that will go to 2016 and 2017 draft picks.

That leaves $6M to go shopping, assuming the team doesn't touch the contracts for Aaron Williams or Eric Wood, and doesn't let Carpenter go.

Assuming Tyrod earns a Russell Wilson deal, then he, Glenn, and Gilmore will add up to approximately $37M on the 2017 cap.

not sure how your getting $37 mil

Russel Wilson got 4yr/ $87.6 mil ($22 mil/yr ave). I think TT is getting Osweiller money ($18 mil/yr)

Glenn is not signing a long term deal for less than $14 mil/yr

Gilmore is not signing a long term deal for less than $13 mil/yr

that totals $45 - 49 mil/yr (not $37)