We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

That would be excellent.

The fact that Glenn and Gilmore are essentially captive to be negotiated with is a very important reason why you draft key positions early.

I'm guessing that in general the overall contract savings on contained players is significant as well.....perhaps 10-20%......but that two year window also allows you time to try to find replacements if not.

And then, of course, there is the matter of actually convincing free agents to come to your team when they have so many options.

If I never see the Bills reach for another ILB in the first 3 rounds it will still be too soon.

LOL! Very true.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crazy contracts for some FAs are hard to match. They can franchise tag Gilmore next year if necessary.

Makes me really appreciate Richie signing here for a fair amount.

After seeing some of the contracts that came after him?

Hell Yes !

Hopefully, the Bills have some second tier UFAs in mind that they start to bring in for visits.

@mikerodak

The Bills have restructured the contract of K Dan Carpenter, opening a small chunk of cap space. I’ll have more details soon.

Bills K Dan Carpenter’s base salary was lowered from $2.025M to $1.775. The team might have also tweaked a $250k roster bonus due this week.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That is what it looks like.

Yeah if the reports are accurate that's how I understood. I will give the front office some credit here, they avoided the bonus and have Carp under contract incase they come up empty on another kicker. That's the kind of proactive negotiating iv been clamoring for. Well done.

Every little bit adds up :)

that is a very little bit

Sounds like it was done to avoid paying him the 250k and opens the door to draft a replacement?

I find that hard to believe it's a defining leverage move.

That is what it looks like.

Yeah if the reports are accurate that's how I understood. I will give the front office some credit here, they avoided the bonus and have Carp under contract incase they come up empty on another kicker. That's the kind of proactive negotiating iv been clamoring for. Well done.

I too was glad to see proactive move. But if i whip out my calculator , its peanuts in the grand scheme of things

I too was glad to see proactive move. But if i whip out my calculator , its peanuts in the grand scheme of things

Yup, but add it to another restructure or two, and it could be the difference needed to sign a lower tier FA, or sign an undrafted player. When you're this tight against the cap, you nickel and dime your way forward haha

It is peanuts, but if they take the every $ counts approach we will have much more maneuverability than this sign now eat the dead money later rage. Edited by Commonsense

Yup, but add it to another restructure or two, and it could be the difference needed to sign a lower tier FA, or sign an undrafted player. When you're this tight against the cap, you nickel and dime your way forward haha

I agree with both you and Commonsense. I just do not find it to signal any change in Carpenters status on the Bills next year.

Been a fan of his till last year.

But i loathe giving two roster spots for kickers !

In case there's still any confusion, here's a quote from the article:

"The Bills still don’t have a lot of money to spend the remainder of this offseason. They should have roughly between $3-4 million between right now and August to use on any remaining free agents, on top of their draft choices."