Sully embarrasses himself at the Super Bowl

YoloinOhio

Jimmy the Greek lost his gig on TV as did Rush Limbaugh for saying about the same kind of racist things. Howard Cossell ignited a **** storm when his drunken lips let slip a racial slander and he nearly lost his gig because of it. Sully's an asshat.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats always tricky to gauge is whether the average bills fan is familiar enough to feel that way. You come on here and discuss the differences between practice squad safety options in february, yet alone differences in coverage from the reporters. Does joe bills fan that watches the game but isnt invested know not to click the controversial headline?

Bills fans are going to click on Bills stories because they want to read Bills news. I agree, it is likely only those of us who are deeply invested in the minutiae of everything Bills-related who consciously pick and choose which authors to ignore.

Jimmy the Greek lost his gig on TV as did Rush Limbaugh for saying about the same kind of racist things. Howard Cossell ignited a **** storm when his drunken lips let slip a racial slander and he nearly lost his gig because of it. Sully's an asshat.

Sully is safe from being fired for this reason. He phrased a question, which is held to differ from making a racial slur or actually saying a racist thing. If Sully said "you're a mobile Black QB, so we know you can't throw from the pocket" that would be closer to the danger zone, but phrased as a question?

Naah.

STOP clicking on the link to his article.......you are helping him keep his job with "hits/views"

if you don't like his style, STOP reading his drivel.

Don't expose your mind to things you don't agree with!!

Don't even look upon these things!

cam said "I think we shredded that a long time ago" sully- "you really believe that?" Cam nods, Jerry says "back it up and say something." Cam asks why he should back it up. Jerry says because it's "still an issue." Cam: "it's not my issue. It's an issue for you." Jerry mumbles something obnoxious at Cam that I couldn't make out and they move on

lol

https://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/03/newton-reverses-his-field-doesnt-want-to-be-labeled/

What exactly was Sully trying to prove there? What a complete douchebag...

common, you get the point. You don't have to give the snooze the clicks to know what's been said.

In this instance or in general? There is more than one poster who says they will never read the guy's articles. One poster actually said "he's garbage" while admitting he never reads Sully.

Why not read him...even if you generally disagree with him? Are posters afraid they may actually agree with something he says or are they so set in their way, that they cannot tolerate even seeing an article?

The mind gets smaller when you only expose it to like minded thoughts.

He won't/can't be fired for what he said. However he could be gone due to any negative attention his comments may fall on the BN. In addition if advertisers start threatening to pull money and ads, again he could then be in trouble. Newspapers can't afford any bad publicity these days as shaky as things are.

Don't know if these guys have any types of contracts or just strictly salaried employees, but could see him gone within a few months so it doesn't appear he was let go specifically because of this. Or like often happens in the employment world, next time there's a playoff he's the first to go, with a severance package of course..

Sully is safe from being fired for this reason. He phrased a question, which is held to differ from making a racial slur or actually saying a racist thing. If Sully said "you're a mobile Black QB, so we know you can't throw from the pocket" that would be closer to the danger zone, but phrased as a question?

Naah.

Rediculous comparisons. They were making affirmative statements of their beliefs. Sully asked a follow up question to an issue Cam brought up.

Rediculous comparisons. They were making affirmative statements of their beliefs. Sully asked a follow up question to an issue Cam brought up.

You keep saying Cam brought up race, which he did, but not in the context Jerry Sullivan did. Cam's comments are about how black QB's behavior is perceived by the public. Sullivan was pushing a stereotype about black QBs being unable to make throws over the middle because they are more apt to run. (I wonder where he got that silly idea?)

BTW I made the same mistake equating what Sully said to Jimmy the Greek. It was more akin to Al Campanis.

This is what Jimmy the Greek said.

You keep saying Cam brought up race, which he did, but not in the context Jerry Sullivan did. Cam's comments are about how black QB's behavior is perceived by the public. Sullivan was pushing a stereotype about black QBs being unable to make throws over the middle because they are more apt to run. (I wonder where he got that silly idea?)

BTW I made the same mistake equating what Sully said to Jimmy the Greek. It was more akin to Al Campanis.

This is what Jimmy the Greek said.

How, exactly? Campanis was clearly saying black players were too dumb to play QB or manage teams....and that buoyancy issues limited their swimming prowess.

Sully was asking about black QBs not throwing over the middle because they prefer to run. Goofy as that was, how is it similar, really, to Campanis's statements in your clip?

Actually, Limbaugh's statements were different. He claimed that McNabb wasn't very good, but was getting favorable media coverage because he was black. That was racist, for saying the black QB wasn't a good QB.

Sully just asked Cam if he's a victim of that racism. That's not racist. That's noble, for pointing out the racism that exists (even when it doesn't.)

Don't expose your mind to things you don't agree with!!

Don't even look upon these things!

We've been clicking on his articles for years. Its now boiled up to the point that we already know his exact angle on everything and we've become sick of it...

If I click on a BN Bills story I now look to see who the author is and if its Sully I really don't bother. I honestly don't care what he has to say even if he was 100% correct.. He's burned his bridge down..

Edited by ddaryl

How, exactly? Campanis was clearly saying black players were too dumb to play QB or manage teams....and that buoyancy issues limited their swimming prowess.

Sully was asking about black QBs not throwing over the middle because they prefer to run. Goofy as that was, how is it similar, really, to Campanis's statements in your clip?

How long, in your opinion have black QB's preferred to run vs throwing the ball "over the middle?"

In this instance or in general? There is more than one poster who says they will never read the guy's articles. One poster actually said "he's garbage" while admitting he never reads Sully.

Why not read him...even if you generally disagree with him? Are posters afraid they may actually agree with something he says or are they so set in their way, that they cannot tolerate even seeing an article?

The mind gets smaller when you only expose it to like minded thoughts.

If Sully ever had a truly inspiring thought, perhaps your comments would make sense. He hasn't written anything groundbreaking or particularly noteworthy in...well, ever. And he consistently embarrasses himself with ridiculous "takes" such as when he called for Dareus to be cut after the car racing incident.

There's an old saying with which I'm sure you're familiar -- fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

We've been clicking on his articles for years. Its now boiled up to the point that we already know his exact angle on everything and we've become sick of it...

If I click on a BN Bills story I now look to see who the author is and if its Sully I really don't bother. I honestly don't care what he has to say even if he was 100% correct.. He's burned his bridge down..

I guess that's the answer I was looking for. I appreciate the candor. I just don't understand that type of thought process. I can't think of a downside reading something I may or certainly will disagree with.

How long, in your opinion have black QB's preferred to run vs throwing the ball "over the middle?"

Not the same as Campanis's comments. The ones in that clip anyway...

If Sully ever had a truly inspiring thought, perhaps your comments would make sense. He hasn't written anything groundbreaking or particularly noteworthy in...well, ever. And he consistently embarrasses himself with ridiculous "takes" such as when he called for Dareus to be cut after the car racing incident.

There's an old saying with which I'm sure you're familiar -- fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

You still don't understand that is what they pay him to do. How many opinion piece writers have ever written anything "groundbreaking"? Zero point zero. Nor will any of them....well, ever. Why read anyone if you only read those who agree with your point of view? Why would you need to?

Edited by Mr. WEO

FWIW, I read the resulting column this morning. The column (for the most part) was not bad.

What is hilarious is that Sullen attempts to re-characterize what happened from him demanding:

"Why don't you back it up?"

to

Sullen demurely suggesting that Mr. Newton "elaborate" on his comments . . . .

I had to laugh.

FWIW, I read the resulting column this morning. The column (for the most part) was not bad.

What is hilarious is that Sullen attempts to re-characterize what happened from him demanding:

"Why don't you back it up?"

to

Sullen demurely suggesting that Mr. Newton "elaborate" on his comments . . . .

I had to laugh.

mr. Sullivan, let me introduce you to the Internet, where your tacky press conference tantrums live forever. He somehow thinks no one was "there" but him, and we need to read his column to find out what happened. Edited by YoloinOhio