Sully embarrasses himself at the Super Bowl

YoloinOhio

I'm hoping Rex/Rob go "all Buddy" on him and lay a right cross to his chin!!

Why on earth would you hope such a thing? So we can start the season with our head coach and assistant head coach suspended for 6 weeks?

I'll stick with Sully, myself, as it accurately describes his reporting...

This.

didnt he ask him to back up his answer about there being a stereotype that mobile black QBs can't throw from the pocket? That's not really what Cam said last week, unless I missed something.

Correct.

Now I would have been all in with Sully asking him about his comments of last week, eg "Cam, you said as an African American QB, you may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen anything they can compare you to. There have been 6 previous Superbowls where one of the teams QB was black, and a number of other successful black QB. Why do you feel people haven't seen anything they can compare you to?" Cam's a lot taller than Russell Wilson but has maybe what, an inch, on Doug Williams?

That would have been an interesting question and actually, I'm kind of curious about the answer. But asking if mobile black QB can't throw from the pocket and asking him to back up his answer, that's just dumb, and Cam's response was Right On.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ultimate non-story.

It's not Jerry's job to avoid irritating people. There's nothing wrong with it.

Cam doesn't want to deal with it and moves on.

If it weren't Sully, it'd be nothing. Hell, it is nothing.

Edited by Thurman#1

Why on earth would you hope such a thing? So we can start the season with our head coach and assistant head coach suspended for 6 weeks?

This.

Correct.

Now I would have been all in with Sully asking him about his comments of last week, eg "Cam, you said as an African American QB, you may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen anything they can compare you to. There have been 6 previous Superbowls where one of the teams QB was black, and a number of other successful black QB. Why do you feel people haven't seen anything they can compare you to?" Cam's a lot taller than Russell Wilson but has maybe what, an inch, on Doug Williams?

That would have been an interesting question and actually, I'm kind of curious about the answer. But asking if mobile black QB can't throw from the pocket and asking him to back up his answer, that's just dumb, and Cam's response was Right On.

Many on here wants Rex gone anyways. Who knows maybe the Bills will go 6-0.

So why can't we get this guy fired? Everyone hates him. He's been a joke for years. If I sucked at my job for that long I would have been fired

Because he's a union member?? http://www.buffaloguild.org

Article 1

Coverage

1. The provisions of this contract will cover the following employees:

A. Employees of the Editorial Department of The News, including part-time employees and full time Western New York correspondents, but excluding the Publisher, the Promotion Director, the Editor, the Executive Editor, the Managing Editors, Deputy Managing Editors, the Assistant Managing Editors, the Editorial Page Editor, the Executive City Editor, the City Editor, their secretaries, the Executive Sports Editor, the two News Editors, the Library Systems Director, the Washington and Albany bureaus; Executive Business Editor, Chief Copy Editors (Milt Joffe grandfathered); one Graphics Editor, one Design Editor; Urban Affairs Editor (only while that position is held by Rod Watson).

I believe Sully would be a correspondent.

Many on here wants Rex gone anyways. Who knows maybe the Bills will go 6-0.

Interesting philosophy. Is "someone other than Rex driving Rex's bus" better than Rex driving his own bus? Dunno the answer on that.

The ultimate non-story.

It's not Jerry's job to avoid irritating people. There's nothing wrong with it.

Entitled to your opinion and all, but while there's nothing "wrong" with it in the sense of being illegal immoral or unethical, others of us are entitled to the opinion that he was making an embarrassing ass of himself in public and we'd rather not have him associated with the City of Buffalo.

I wonder what Sully is really asking here? Does he believe that the pigmentation of someone's skin means they can't stand in the pocket and throw a football or is he saying something else between the lines?

And to answer Sully's "prove it" statement you just have to say two words: Warren Moon. This debate was ended roughly 3 decades ago Sully...

He seems to be saying "there are a lot of racists out there- how do you feel about it"

And that's the key point. Cam's statement was certainly worthy of questioning and a request for elaboration. But Sully's approach isn't to ask questions in order to elucidate. It's to be argumentative. He quite simply an opinion writer, and not an investigative reporter. But he desperately wants to be an investigative reporter, but lacks the basic skills to be one (namely: gathering, synthesizing, and coherently presenting sourced information). Thus he approaches it as an opinion writer, mistakes his opinionated questioning as "hard-hitting," and tries to put people on the spot by being obnoxious, patronizing, and basically stupid.

I think you're right. I find it amusing when others claim Jerry is really "smarter" than all of us and has concocted his miserable persona just to get under all of our skins. Bottom line -- he's not that bright.

I think deep down most of us get where Sullivan was coming from. It's just that the Super Bowl week stuff is supposed to be light, and here's Jerry Sullivan with his negative, pessimistic, repelling vibe ruining the day. The same vibe that most Buffalo fans are completely sick of that just doesn't seem to go away.

He just has this charismatic negativity that attracts eyeballs and then eye rolls. That's why he still has a job. So everyone is hoping something like this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

So maybe there is a method to the madness, but I guess I just don't care. I hope he's gone.

Do you ever not instinctively defend "The Man"?

I don't defend bullsh##t --like manufactured outrage.

Sometimes you should attack "the Man".

Always you should think for yourself, though...

Jerry's job is to give his opinion and sell newspapers. Like it or not, right or wrong, he's good at it

His opinions are often rooted in some perceived slight that comes off as a vendetta and many times he sounds like a whiny little B word.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Jerry's job is to give his opinion and sell newspapers. Like it or not, right or wrong, he's good at it

i don't think anyone is buying the Buffalo News to read Sully's opinion. They are listening to him sound like an a__hat in a clip making the rounds on Twitter. No need buy anything to do that. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think you're right. I find it amusing when others claim Jerry is really "smarter" than all of us and has concocted his miserable persona just to get under all of our skins. Bottom line -- he's not that bright.

Where has anyone claimed Jerry is "smarter" than all of us? What I see is that many question why he and his miserable persona haven't been shown the door, and the answer is, "because his job is to generate clicks and views and controversy that boosts readership, and he succeeds". Whether he succeeds because it's all a concocted act, or whether that's his true personality is kind of a moot point, not?

Someone should tell Sully that 1982 called and they want their Black QB questions back..................

ROTFL this!

i don't think anyone is buying the Buffalo News to read Sully's opinion. They are listening to him sound like an a__hat in a clip making the rounds on Twitter. No need buy anything to do that.

That's a good point.

I'll say this, I think newspapers, especially newspaper management, are failing to adjust their business models for the new internet/mobile technology era. Thus I think it's entirely possible that Sully's management and employer feel happy that he is doing his job by attracting attention, believing that it will lead to sales, while in actuality it may be either neutral or negative, and what people would really pay for is the kind of in-depth and thoughtful analysis they can't get on Twitter.

Where has anyone claimed Jerry is "smarter" than all of us? What I see is that many question why he and his miserable persona haven't been shown the door, and the answer is, "because his job is to generate clicks and views and controversy that boosts readership, and he succeeds". Whether he succeeds because it's all a concocted act, or whether that's his true personality is kind of a moot point, not?

There have been plenty of "Jerry's getting the last laugh on all of you" and "Jerry's enjoying getting in your head" responses around this forum over the years.

I don't know that Jerry "succeeds" in boosting readership because I really don't read his editorials any more. I follow him on Twitter only so I can tweak him directly. It's entertaining.

Ty Dunne has become the only guy worth reading at that paper when it comes to the Bills. He's boosting readership simply by being a good reporter -- go figure.

I don't know that Jerry "succeeds" in boosting readership because I really don't read his editorials any more.

whats always tricky to gauge is whether the average bills fan is familiar enough to feel that way. You come on here and discuss the differences between practice squad safety options in february, yet alone differences in coverage from the reporters. Does joe bills fan that watches the game but isnt invested know not to click the controversial headline?

whats always tricky to gauge is whether the average bills fan is familiar enough to feel that way. You come on here and discuss the differences between practice squad safety options in february, yet alone differences in coverage from the reporters. Does joe bills fan that watches the game but isnt invested know not to click the controversial headline?

Depends. Do you consider the average TBD user above or below average?