Sully embarrasses himself at the Super Bowl

YoloinOhio

Actually, Limbaugh's statements were different. He claimed that McNabb wasn't very good, but was getting favorable media coverage because he was black. That was racist, for saying the black QB wasn't a good QB.

Sully just asked Cam if he's a victim of that racism. That's not racist. That's noble, for pointing out the racism that exists (even when it doesn't.)

when did we lose you?

I so loved you when you were coherent but obtuse.

Well then he's playing perfectly the role of the bloviator, isn't he? Is his job, and his editor's job, not to stir passion in his readers? The BN was paying him to do exactly this well before there were any clicks to click, so that argument ("clickbait") is not persuasive. They aren't paying him to get cliched locker room quotes or to rewrite verbatim quotes given to everyone in a press conference. Clicks haven't change Sully.

Sorry, my bad---throw in "inspiring" or "noteworthy" Can you only be inspired "positively", in other words by something you fondly agree with? If that was the goal of an Op-Ed page, they wouldn't exist because no one but a few here (no doubt) would read only such pieces.

may i suggest you have some familiarity with the concept?

I don't mind one bit Weo ! I always enjoy the Devils advocate in dialogue. Its a necessary evil.

; )

The fact that he has a 9-page thread of mostly people that hate him talking about him suggests his current work is "noteworthy".

I actually enjoy most of Sully's work. It's interesting. If all there was to read were Chris Brown puff pieces, the Bills' world would be very boring. Sully used to be on WGR's morning pregame show with Jeremy White and it was great - Jerry was always at odds with Jeremy or the caller or both and it made for great radio on the drive in from Syracuse.

It's much the same with this board - the posters who have the more provocative opinions are interesting to read and make the exchange of views more fun to read......even if they aren't always sane.

well said, very well said indeed

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Sports Pickle is making fun of him

@pecrawleynfl

Cam is now being asked to detail his sleep patterns. We have officially reached full overload.

@sportspickle

"Cam, what about the perception that mobile quarterbacks can't stay in one place long enough to get good sleep?"

"Cam, what about the perception that mobile quarterbacks can't stay in one place long enough to get good sleep?"

Even Sports Pickle is making fun of him

@pecrawleynfl

Cam is now being asked to detail his sleep patterns. We have officially reached full overload.

@sportspickle

thats pretty funny!

saw the one about him wearing sandals. The man, Cam, has carried himself very well i think. And i was never a fan of his personality whatsoever.

Have any media outlets outside of Buffalo even identified Sully as the person asking those questions? How can Sully be an embarrassment to the News if no one even knows who asked the questions?

long thread huh ?

thats pretty funny!

saw the one about him wearing sandals. The man, Cam, has carried himself very well i think. And i was never a fan of his personality whatsoever.

long thread huh ?

Guess I missed that post. Who fingered him? :flirt:

Sully is a hack, and I will not only never read any of his articles again, but I try not to give the BN any clicks on any articles as long as he in employed there. There is nothing in the BN that I cant get somewhere else.

That isnt because he "says stuff I disagree with". There are plenty of posters here who say things I disagree with, but who also have informed and well crafted opinions. I hate to name names, but for example, posters like Badol, Billsvet, and even GG... I would NEVER put those posters on ignore and I often enjoy their posts even though I rarely agree with what they are saying. At least I can tell they are interested in the team, that they care, and that they know what they are talking about (as much as any of us here can).

I would rather any of them (and plenty of other posters) work for the BN. Most of Badol's threads are better crafted than Sully's articles. Even when he is on one of his campaigns ( B-) ).

Sullivan doesnt care about the team, or its fans, and most likely doesnt even care about the city. And it shows. It's an old and tired schtick in this day and age where we have access to almost limitless amounts of media. I dont need him.

Solid summary.

What bugs me about Sullivan is the smug self-awareness that you see in the worst hipsters. They usually are of above-average intelligence, but they are so insecure elsewhere that they leverage all of their self-esteem from this intelligence.

So Sullivan is meta enough where he purposely looks for the contrarian point of view, but I'm no longer sure he even believes what he says. He seems to get more enjoyment from riling people up than coming up with good columns. And that smugness hides the weak, hurting guy on the inside.

I would bet a lot of money that in the BN office, Sullivan constantly cracks jokes about how dumb his readers are. And even at the SB, he probably felt he was better than everyone around him, and annoyed about all the journalists there that are far more successful than him.

I don't buy for a second that Sullivan cares about race in America or black QBs in the NFL. It was all about bringing everybody down to Sullivan's level so he can feel better about his pitiful existence.

It's interesting that someone who is paid to write opinions that elicit a response from readers is disliked so intensely for doing his job. Clearly, if the News didn't like his work, they would reassign him and hire someone to write more publicly-pleasing opinions.

Lmao...Sullivan goes "Why don't you back it up with something because it's still an issue to a lot of people"

Cam looks at him and smiles and says "Its not an issue, it's an issue for you."

Cam just dabbled on him...hahahaha

this is my reference honestly WAG

Edited by 3rdand12

It's interesting that someone who is paid to write opinions that elicit a response from readers is disliked so intensely for doing his job. Clearly, if the News didn't like his work, they would reassign him and hire someone to write more publicly-pleasing opinions.

He's eliciting a response of dislike. He says something annoying and people react. Nothing wrong with the way they are reacting. He's not getting fired. That's a certainty. He's doing what they want him to do.

It says something about the guys at the News. Look at Bucky who threw the city and fanbase overboard on a guest column in Boston.

They should have a reality show about the sports department called "Schmucks and Losers".

He's eliciting a response of dislike. He says something annoying and people react. Nothing wrong with the way they are reacting. He's not getting fired. That's a certainty. He's doing what they want him to do.

Yeah, I'm sure they're laughing their way to the credit union. Do we even know if these hacks get more clicks or they translate to dollars? I know I don't read his articles anymore and a couple other people in this thread said they don't.

Some reactions seem like people are taking it personal, and are accompanied by personal attacks on him - name calling, calls for him to lose his job, etc.

Geez, he's writing opinions about a football team! How unimportant can it get?

I have my own allegiance to the Bills, but honestly, who cares what someone else says about "my" team?

Knock yourself out Sully, just make it interesting and I'll probably read it.

Some reactions seem like people are taking it personal, and are accompanied by personal attacks on him - name calling, calls for him to lose his job, etc.

Geez, he's writing opinions about a football team! How unimportant can it get?

I have my own allegiance to the Bills, but honestly, who cares what someone else says about "my" team?

Knock yourself out Sully, just make it interesting and I'll probably read it.

Buffalo is not a huge city. The opinions of our columnists make an effect on the fans. You can play the "just a game" card, but NFL and NHL are not "just a game" here like it is in say, Miami.

So who our #1 columnist is, matters. People are letting it be known. Let the people speak. No need to suppress them. Fans want him gone. F*ck the clicks.

Righteous indignation that's unwarranted is what makes it outrage.

I just love how you decide what's right and wrong for everyone. If only we could live up to your lofty standards.

On second thought that would be bad because you'd then become average and we don't want that.

Buffalo is not a huge city. The opinions of our columnists make an effect on the fans. You can play the "just a game" card, but NFL and NHL are not "just a game" here like it is in say, Miami.

So who our #1 columnist is, matters. People are letting it be known. Let the people speak. No need to suppress them. Fans want him gone. F*ck the clicks.

I haven't seen a suggestion to suppress the fans' opinions. I am suggesting they are interesting.

I haven't seen a suggestion to suppress the fans' opinions. I am suggesting they are interesting.

I don't find it interesting. People are very attached to the team here. And not only on gamedays, but in the off-season, and yes, in Buffalo News columns. Is that shameful? Does that make them less than those that aren't attached?

I don't find it interesting. People are very attached to the team here. And not only on gamedays, but in the off-season, and yes, in Buffalo News columns. Is that shameful? Does that make them less than those that aren't attached?

No, and no. Not at all.

But they don't have to read the stuff they find offensive to their sensibilities either. Or they can protest the News/advertisers. Or they can B word on a message board.

I just think all of that is interesting.

Does the fact you don't find it interesting mean your feelings are hurt by what Sully writes?

No, and no. Not at all.

But they don't have to read the stuff they find offensive to their sensibilities either. Or they can protest the News/advertisers. Or they can B word on a message board.

I just think all of that is interesting.

Does the fact you don't find it interesting mean your feelings are hurt by what Sully writes?

I wouldn't say my feelings are hurt by him. I actually don't like Cam Newton so if Sullivan annoyed him, it's all good.

What bugs me is that the by far largest newspaper in the area employs a negative Nancy to take the #1 sports columnist spot in the paper. It's not that he's negative that bugs me if he was genuine and had good points. What bugs me is that I think he is disingenuous, and is a powerfully negative energy towards the city, paper, fanbase, and team. He drags everybody down and frankly I think he makes the player's jobs harder than they have to be when he writes disparaging columns about them (McCoy, Dareus, etc.). Is that what we need in the midst of a 15/16 year drought?

I live in Florida and whenever I come to Buffalo you can feel it right away. There is a gloominess in the air. It wouldn't hurt to get some optimism in the #1 column spot. Not a Pollyanna, but a generally optimistic guy with some original point of views.

There's always Chris Brown to read!

Obviously, the News is in the money business and they would not have him there if he wasn't making them money in some fashion.

That's free enterprise and free speech working right there.

If a person lets a newspaper columnist "drag them down", then there might be other issues present.

I have family in Buffalo and go back every couple months and have never felt whatever negative mojo you feel. You aren't bringing it with you, are you?

There's always Chris Brown to read!

Obviously, the News is in the money business and they would not have him there if he wasn't making them money in some fashion.

That's free enterprise and free speech working right there.

If a person lets a newspaper columnist "drag them down", then there might be other issues present.

I have family in Buffalo and go back every couple months and have never felt whatever negative mojo you feel. You aren't bringing it with you, are you?

You ever come in January/February?

And businesses pay the price when the customers turn their backs on them. The momentum has been building over the years. Sullivan is one "controversy" away from being on the bubble.

And Chris Brown is a shill. Not sure what your point is there. Do I have to choose between Jerry Sullivan and Chris Brown? Is there no in between?