UFA Vernon Davis

Tipster19

The more that I think about it the more that it makes sense that the Bills add Davis to the roster. Davis is in the twilight of his career and has virtually has done nothing since he joined the Broncos. Davis under Greg Roman has experienced some great success and before time runs out Davis may want to have one last chance at being productive offensively. The Bills should be more than interested in Davis, especially since Clay had some injury concerns this year.

The more that I think about it the more that it makes sense that the Bills add Davis to the roster. Davis is in the twilight of his career and has virtually has done nothing since he joined the Broncos. Davis under Greg Roman has experienced some great success and before time runs out Davis may want to have one last chance at being productive offensively. The Bills should be more than interested in Davis, especially since Clay had some injury concerns this year.

So he would want to sign with Buffalo...why?

Seriously, if we can just sign Glenn and Incognito, and maybe Bradham, I'm fine with just relying on the draft to fill holes. I'd really like to keep that left side of the line.

First, we're not doing anything but cheap role players in free agency. Second, we will have a tough enough time resigning existing talent. The above poster indicating we will fill holes in the draft is right. It's all we can afford.

Lastly, Davis is past his time. Besides, Denver traded for him, so once he learns the offense, he'll probably contribute next year in a role position.

It doesn't sound like Davis was particularly enamored with Greg Roman-

"Davis has a simple reason for his poor performance: Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman was not calling good enough plays for him to get open."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/vernon-davis-blames-game-planning-for-lackluster-2014-season-061615

looks like kubiak can't "get him open" either. I can't stand professional football players who refuse to take accountability for their own performance. Edited by YoloinOhio

Wheres the money coming from?

First, we're not doing anything but cheap role players in free agency. Second, we will have a tough enough time resigning existing talent. The above poster indicating we will fill holes in the draft is right. It's all we can afford.

Lastly, Davis is past his time. Besides, Denver traded for him, so once he learns the offense, he'll probably contribute next year in a role position.

This team is in cap hell right now

Wheres the money coming from?

This team is in cap hell right now

They really are not at all. There's a lot of room for cuts which put them in a not great, but not impossible, situation (Mario cut/restructure, Clay restructure, bump in salary cap alone would likely put them 20-30m under). They are in almost exactly the same situation the Dolphins were last year when they went and signed Suh. Salary cap hell is when a team enters free agency 10-60m over and has to cut players they don't want to lose. Bills are clearly not in that situation. They are also not in the situation where they can be players.

They will likely not be major players in free agency, as Whaley has openly said. They will likely try to re-sign Glenn, Incognito...others like Bradham, if their price tags are not overinflated, a few Ryan-friendly bargain guys (of the DeMario Davis variety), and I wouldn't be surprised if we signed one major defensive free agent, despite Doug's comment about not doing anything the first week, as he also said (if i am not mistaken, correct me if i'm wrong) one top-level defensive signing but no more is possible.

But, yes, as others have said, they will probably mostly pick up role players after the market calms down, when you can get better value deals, and I'm sure there will be 2 or 3 major underachievers as that's clearly Whaley's stock-in-trade (check out the rivals top 100 recruit lists from 2003-12 and see how many current bills were on there).

Vernon Davis would be unlikely too...terrible value at this point in his career and as one poster pointed out, he's not necessarily that connected to Roman.

It doesn't sound like Davis was particularly enamored with Greg Roman-

"Davis has a simple reason for his poor performance: Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman was not calling good enough plays for him to get open."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/vernon-davis-blames-game-planning-for-lackluster-2014-season-061615

Davis is a malcontent, whiny baby. WTF. Was Roman calling plays for him in Denver? Or when he left San Fran.

Vernon Davis blows. It's a shame he used to be insanely good.

insanely talented, occasionally great.