East Coast Residents: Bunch of pansies

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I was 12 waaaaaaay back in the olden days I was delivering newspapers. I was climbing a pile of snow to cross the street and got suck up past my waist. I was freaking out I'd not get myself out before a snowplow came and buried me. Scary stuff.

i rode my bike to school every day but twice in 4th grade. it was 3 miles one way. once, i had a dr's appointment and another time i got a flat and had to push it to school.

In high school I rode my bike 15 miles each way to school. I gashed my knee tobogganing and had to walk home 2 miles. Only to be told its no big deal, walking to the hospital and got 15 stitches. Got stabbed in the leg by a neighbor and my Mom stuffed it with vaseline to stop the bleeding. That was the extent of the medical treatment for that wound.

I once drove from Toronto to Fort Erie on the QEW when it was completely closed. We would speed up to 60 miles an hour and smash thru drifts to get our way home.

Everyone is a f-in kitty in my books.

I delivered Mail in S Buffalo, Christmas 66 & 67. Nobody shoveled, and some of those front porches were killer, but I was in College and it didn't bother me then. Had several dogs follow me every day., good times!

For the first time, I had the mailman leave me a note today (written on one of my envelopes) to please shovel the bottom steps. Everything was clear up top, and I didn't realize that a bunch of snow had really packed into my bottom steps from the wind.

At first I was a little annoyed, but then when I went to shovel it, I saw he had a point.

Damn, I love TV coverage as some snow is coming. They just did the " how to prepare segment" , and they actually said " make sure you car battery is charged. AAA is happy to come out and test for you". Yep, I am sure they would be thrilled to do that today!

And theGB" are commited to getting us through the storm"

Also, did you know if a power line is down to not touch it? Or that if it rains later if could make the snow icy? Or that roads get slippery when it snows? All nuggets I have learned in the last 5 minutes

Damn, I love TV coverage as some snow is coming. They just did the " how to prepare segment" , and they actually said " make sure you car battery is charged. AAA is happy to come out and test for you". Yep, I am sure they would be thrilled to do that today!

And theGB" are commited to getting us through the storm"

Also, did you know if a power line is down to not touch it? Or that if it rains later if could make the snow icy? Or that roads get slippery when it snows? All nuggets I have learned in the last 5 minutes

It's 6:40am and I have a VERRRY strong urge to drive to the store and get a bulk supply of D batteries.

I live in Fayetteville, NC and its raining here now. The news channels all are predicting the end of days right now. I wish all current WNY residents could see this crap. If fact, you all can!!

http://www.wral.com/news/video/1082826/

http://abc11.com/live/23390/

http://wncn.com/wncn-livestream-player/

I made it to work. Imwas the only one doing 55 on the highway, it is a 55 mph limit. Just put in 4wd full time. No problems at all. Everyone else going so slow they're likely to accelerate too fast and spin, they don't get that.

We have about 3". Not one plow is out, and even then they can't plow just 3". They're waiting, did see one salt truck on old US 85/business85.

Don't forget it was uphill and into the wind, both ways.

Earlier this week, the forecast was 8-12 inches. Now they're saying three feet. With sustained 30mph winds. That's approaching "Blizzard of '85" territory.

Of course, in '85, Mayor Jimmy Griffin told everyone in Buffalo to grab a six pack and stay home. Now, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser telling everyone "This is life or death."

At Reagan Airport right now waiting for a flight that will be leaving in an hour. Most other flights here are showing cancelled but not worried about mine as it's going away from Jonas. Easiest drive I ever had to DC today as most everything was closed and people were off the roads.

Earlier this week, the forecast was 8-12 inches. Now they're saying three feet. With sustained 30mph winds. That's approaching "Blizzard of '85" territory.

Of course, in '85, Mayor Jimmy Griffin told everyone in Buffalo to grab a six pack and stay home. Now, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser telling everyone "This is life or death."

that traffic the other night was nuts. My wife was in the District and could not even get an Uber...those boys be charging 6x today most likely

At Reagan Airport right now waiting for a flight that will be leaving in an hour. Most other flights here are showing cancelled but not worried about mine as it's going away from Jonas. Easiest drive I ever had to DC today as most everything was closed and people were off the roads.

Well, it has been nice to kno you Tony! The apocalypse has started here in the West End, should be in Ashland in bout 5 minutes. Not sure there will be anything left for you to return to!

BTW, keep hearing "this is the stuff where if yu drive now you will have to abandon your car"...Jesus these news people.

Waiting another hour and then taking my daughter out driving places where I know no other cars will be. If she goes college up north, she needs to learn to drive in the snow and we just don't get many opportunities down here. I am bringing survival supplies in case we have to abandon the car!

Couple thoughts:

Around my area, I'm disturbed at the lack of kids out shoveling. I made an absolute killing in the shoveling industry as a kid and you often had a lot of competition. My dad always told me that I'm doing god's work by saving all the elderly from certain heart attacks. :thumbsup:

It's weird how people get so wound up over weather. I call it snowgasming - a euphoric state created by persistently thinking about, discussing snow and all of its impacts.

Most of the people in a panic are those that continually get front wheel drive vehicles and would rather be "snowed in" (an archaic practice in the 21st Century) than getting vehicles suited to where you live, practicing driving in it and not letting their life get shut down by weather.

I wasn't there in 85, but I was around in 96. That storm caused somewhere around 150 deaths and 100's of millions in damage, and dropped around somewhere between 20-30", depending on the location.

I know the media is ridiculous like always, but I also think there's an opposite reaction lately of everyone jumping out to degrade those worried about the storms. It's a little annoying. These storms do kill people, and when it's relative or friend of yours, that's kind of a bid deal. Hope everyone out there remains safe.

Anyway, if you want a toned down reaction to weather, come on out to MT. It's actually weird how little bad weather seems to be a topic of discussion here.

edit: I looked it up, and the 96 storm damage caused up to around $3B in damage.

Edited by Acantha

The weather channel naming every winter storm is embarrassing

The Weather Channel is like the Bravo Network of weather.

Looking like 6" up here....just enough to get the kids out for some weekend snow fun and by Monday will be 40 degrees. :thumbsup:

I know the media is ridiculous like always, but I also think there's an opposite reaction lately of everyone jumping out to degrade those worried about the storms. It's a little annoying. These storms do kill people, and when it's relative or friend of yours, that's kind of a bid deal. Hope everyone out there remains safe.

and that's what we are busting on..the media. I can tell you this, the hurricanes are a chit ton worse than this will be. Only threat here is if it ices and people lose power and they have no way to get to a warm place. But damn, if you lose power and keep your doors shut, i would think most houses can stay above 50 for 24 hrs?

I made it to work. Imwas the only one doing 55 on the highway, it is a 55 mph limit. Just put in 4wd full time. No problems at all. Everyone else going so slow they're likely to accelerate too fast and spin, they don't get that.

We have about 3". Not one plow is out, and even then they can't plow just 3". They're waiting, did see one salt truck on old US 85/business85.

It's not about going, it's all about stopping.

that traffic the other night was nuts. My wife was in the District and could not even get an Uber...those boys be charging 6x today most likely

Three-quarters of an inch of snow, and people aren't getting home until three in the morning. But what was really awesome was all the municipalities, when asked why they weren't prepared to clear the snow, answering "Well, we couldn't clear the snow, because traffic was bad..."

I can't wait to be out of this area.

I wasn't there in 85, but I was around in 96. That storm caused somewhere around 150 deaths and 100's of millions in damage, and dropped around somewhere between 20-30", depending on the location.

Anyway, if you want a toned down reaction to weather, come on out to MT. It's actually weird how little bad weather seems to be a topic of discussion here.

edit: I looked it up, and the 96 storm damage caused up to around $3B in damage.

It's less degrading those "worried," than it is degrading those completely lacking in any common sense or perspective. That's not limited to the dumb, panicky animals who act like we're in for an apocalyptic "Day After Tomorrow" frozen hellscape. It also includes the geniuses at the other end of the scale, those who think that just because their car says "All-Wheel Drive" they have god-like immunity to the laws of nature.

And sadly, the days of common-sense "grab a six-pack and stay inside" public advice has been replaced by the constant bombardment of "You are going to die" public statements geared to the extremes lacking in common sense. It does breed a sense of contempt in the 99% of us who have common sense, towards the idiotic 1% who believe it's a good idea to go ice skating on the Potomac in a blizzard, and to the idiots who think repeating "You are going to die" every ten minutes is going to make a lick of difference to idiots that think it's a good idea to ice skate on the Potomac in a blizzard.

It's less degrading those "worried," than it is degrading those completely lacking in any common sense or perspective. That's not limited to the dumb, panicky animals who act like we're in for an apocalyptic "Day After Tomorrow" frozen hellscape. It also includes the geniuses at the other end of the scale, those who think that just because their car says "All-Wheel Drive" they have god-like immunity to the laws of nature.

And sadly, the days of common-sense "grab a six-pack and stay inside" public advice has been replaced by the constant bombardment of "You are going to die" public statements geared to the extremes lacking in common sense. It does breed a sense of contempt in the 99% of us who have common sense, towards the idiotic 1% who believe it's a good idea to go ice skating on the Potomac in a blizzard, and to the idiots who think repeating "You are going to die" every ten minutes is going to make a lick of difference to idiots that think it's a good idea to ice skate on the Potomac in a blizzard.

99% is a little high

Don't forget the narrative after the blizzard ice skater dies in the storm, how he was a 'victim' and how 'we have to do more to prevent such tragedies in the future'.

and that's what we are busting on..the media. I can tell you this, the hurricanes are a chit ton worse than this will be. Only threat here is if it ices and people lose power and they have no way to get to a warm place. But damn, if you lose power and keep your doors shut, i would think most houses can stay above 50 for 24 hrs?

No doubt about hurricanes. I lived in central FL for about 10 years and went through the gamut of hurricane categories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't an over reaction, I'm saying there is ALSO an over reaction in response. I have lots of family and friends in central NY along with some in Northern VA and the Carolina's, so my Facebook feed is full of both sides.

Took the boat out into the Nor'easter last night to catch some sheepshead and winter trout. Guess Im finally part of the 1%. It was like a scene from the perfect storm for a minute, then it was time to head in and talk to Mead before he left work.

Edited by Captain_Quint

Last big winter storm I tore the muscles/connective tissue in both of shoulders and needed to have surgery on them in different years including shaving of the bones. At 5:30 AM this morning I cleaned off the front porch, steps and sidewalk to the car. This time over 2 feet of snow with snow going over hood of car and it still snowing there is no way I can get to work; even if I shovelled it out by the time I got back there would be no where to park. Usually I am the person at work who is told I have to go home so this bothers me but nothing I can do is sit it out until it is not snowing so much that my parking spot is filled by the time I'd get back from work.

And no there are no neighborhood kids coming to offer to shovel snow like I was when I grew up; we have never had any offer living here 20+ years.

We are tough in the northeast. Hurricane Sandy, Irene, Gloria. Noreasters. Hail storms. Ice storms. Losing power when it's 10 degrees out. Dallas is easy living compared. New England has the most dynamic weather pattern in the world. It is where the gulf stream and jet stream converge. Highest winds ever recorded were on Mount Washington. Biggest waves ever recorded were off Rhode Island

I remember when I was 12 waaaaaaay back in the olden days I was delivering newspapers. I was climbing a pile of snow to cross the street and got suck up past my waist. I was freaking out I'd not get myself out before a snowplow came and buried me. Scary stuff.

I tell people here in California about my days as a paperboy, and I don't think they believe me.

Courier Express, so I had to wake up early before school, walk through the craziest weather, and it would be pitch black dark in the winter.

On some Sunday mornings, pulling a f****** wagon uphill through the snowy, slushy streets.

EVERY DAY. Christmas? Labor Day?....NO DAYS OFF!

Again, NO DAYS OFF!

At what other job are there no days off?

Then there was collecting...

From almost the day I turned 12, to 15 years old. I forget what I actually made, but it had to be sweatshop level payment. 2 cents a paper or something....just insane!

Edited by HoF Watkins

Every friend I had who was a paperboy hated collecting the most. I didn't get it, because that is when you got paid.

I passed a state trooper in my grand Cherokee. He was in his charger doing >30mph. I was doing 45-50. Didn't even bother looking over

Did you have a Bills sticker or something. Then he'd understand.