49ers Hire Chip Kelly as New HC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RapSheet

The #49ers have hired Chip Kelly as their head coach.

@JedYork

After a thorough search, Trent & I are thrilled to announce Chip Kelly as the new #HeadCoach of the @49ers

Kaep's anti-Shanahan chicken bones worked!

So apparently it only took 1 Tomsula season for the leadership to change their stance on A-Hole head coaches who lack people skills.

LOL!

You do know that Ryan has been a head coach prior to Buffalo, doncha? I believe P. T. has had 6 years to "show his stuff." The trend is inexorably down.

but that 26-21 record means ol chip is a Belichick!

edit .482 to .553 doesn't put Chip on the "much, much, better" track. Especially with the number of years discrepancy.

Also Rex Ryan had a .583 record his first three years.

Edited by What a Tuel

I'm not sure it is a great hire. He is 6-14 over three years against teams with 9 wins or more. He has been in a weak NFC East (yes I know the Bills went 1-3 against the NFC East - I think the Bills were pretty poor this year) and the team has gotten worse every year under him. Part of that was his desire to trade away and release talent but part of it was his coaching. He never changed his hurry up offense which consistently put a middle of the pack defense talent wise in terrible spots. They finished 29th, 28th and 30th in total defense in Chip's 3 years. On offense they went from 2nd, to 5th to 12th (just one spot ahead of the Bills).

Teams have wised up to his offense - they try and beat you with speed, simplicity and execution - not unlike the K-Gun Bills it is a small play book that involves running the same plays over and over and over just to different sides and at great speed. The problem is if he doesn't have the talent capable of executing - and he doesn't have a Desean Jackson or a LeSean McCoy in San Francisco - then it leads to predictable and easy to defend offense.

The one X factor is unquestionably Kap. If he can work that out he might be able to run some triple read option that uses his legs to make plays and basically go full college option Quarterback to keep defences under duress. However, bear this in mind - Kap has never had great success running against Seattle. Pete Carroll and the Seahawks are not going anywhere and so long as Carson Palmer stays upright nor are the Cardinals.

It is a really tough division. I won't be ready to call out Chip as a failure in San Fran at the end of 2016, because I think it is a longer term task he has taken on.... but I'd be surprised if he succeeds.

Alex Boone

As an Ohio State fan, Yolo, I'm surprised you didn't mention him.

not an Alex Boone fan... But if he was cheap (he won't be) then ok. He is not a guy Chip will want around so doubt he re-signs him.

Havent seen Boldin play this year. Does he have a couple of good years in his tank ?

Bowman would be nice.

i do think he has a year or two left, plus has vet leadership and knows how to win. And knows the offense. Would be cheap I think at his age and provide a tough possession receiver. Then still draft a WR in the 3rd or later. Watkins, Boldin, Woods, rookie, Salas, Hogan. Can't count on Easley being ready, or as a WR. Jmo. Edited by YoloinOhio