Johnny Manziel (update: waived by Browns)

He may not have any senses. The kid really could end up dead. I hope his parents/family/friends step up. He needs it to happen.

Only so much they can do. It sounds like they've offered help already and he's rejected it.

I'm not clued up enough on US mental health to know the more dramatic forms of intervention that might be available to the family.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to his dad, he has twice refused to be admitted to rehab in the past week and he doesn't think he will see his 24th birthday if he doesn't get help. They just read this on Cleveland radio, don't know where they got it.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/texasamaggies/2016/02/05/johnny-manziels-father-son-get-help-qb-live-see-24th-birthday

Only so much they can do. It sounds like they've offered help already and he's rejected it.

I'm not clued up enough on US mental health to know the more dramatic forms of intervention that might be available to the family.

I don't know the legalities either. It's sad.

The Dallas reporter Rebecca Lopez said that the initial 911 call was made by a neighbor, not the girlfriend. She believes the girlfriend was afraid and suddenly stopped talking to police. She did the same thing when the roadside incident happened in Avon Ohio.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have never seen someone's train come off the rails so quickly. Johnny Manziel had a chance to be a good NFL QB, and technically still does, but the kid's life is waaaaaaayyyy out of control. It reminds me of Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, and Jamarcus Russell. Sad, but I think we've all seen how the story ends.

I've gone from "What an idiot" To very scared for this individual.

Many on this board know my own history dealing with mental illness. Its awful and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I consider myself to be very lucky to have gotten the help and support I did.

I hope Johnny does too. Its worth it

I'm glad you were able to get through it and had people to help and support you! :)

CBF

And this is the perfect example of a situation where the league could proactively step in and provide support and stability to help a player/former player. It wouldn't take much, and would be great PR at the price.

But will they? Of course not.

I've gone from "What an idiot" To very scared for this individual.

Many on this board know my own history dealing with mental illness. Its awful and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I consider myself to be very lucky to have gotten the help and support I did.

I hope Johnny does too. Its worth it

Congrats to you my friend. Glad everything has worked out. :thumbsup:

He's just lost his biggest professional advocate. He's about to find himself unemployed. Still under investigation by the police.

I hope one of these things, maybe the cumulative effect of all three, can help him come to his senses soon.

Time may make him bottom out. Time away from football if 32 owners can control themselves that is.

Someone above posted something about his family and I'm not reading it, not time, but maybe its what I read in the past and my take from what I read was that Johnny has some pent up anger over his relationship with his dad, which seems to be based solely on sports and winning. And the two of them have always competed at golf and he's never beaten his dad. The article I read talked of his meltdowns golfing trying to beat his dad. Part of this always made me like the kid, the hatred of losing. Give me a QB who hates to lose and you have something to start with, give me one that doesn't, you have someone with no passion and list of excuses (EJ). But his dad seems like an ahole, both an enabler, telling him how awesome he is and building him up, but also breaking down, never once letting the kid beat the old man at golf. He's leaving the kid to battle the contradiction of being told he's great but the guy telling that can't be beat, the father basically saying, "You can't beat me, you're not better than everyone." I'm not a doctor (medical that is!) but if he has both the psychological issues and the physiological predisposition to addiction, that is a bad combo.

I've seen soooo many of my peers have their relationship with their dads go sour over sports. A dad wants to live vicariously through the kid and the kid lacks the passion. I know three kids from high school who were regularly berated for poor play. I recall rides home where a friend's dad would scream at him, call him a "pu__y" and tell him he sucked. That dad was a college athlete and the kid just wanted to play and have fun. Now the kid is a raging alcoholic, recently divorced, and has spoken to his dad in years, who he blames for everything.

I wonder if the father is having second and even third thoughts about the times back in college when he defended him and taught the kid to thumb his nose at the NCAA. Maybe without those "lessons" from the ole man, things wouldn't be where they are today.

According to his dad, he has twice refused to be admitted to rehab in the past week and he doesn't think he will see his 24th birthday if he doesn't get help. They just read this on Cleveland radio, don't know where they got it.

Likely the league will step in; in the form of a suspension. I'd imagine the league stepping in from a one sided position of Jonnie not asking for help would open themselves up to all kind of HIPPA violations. Honestly don't see a reason for the league to help unless or until he asks for it.

And this is the perfect example of a situation where the league could proactively step in and provide support and stability to help a player/former player. It wouldn't take much, and would be great PR at the price.

But will they? Of course not.

Likely the league will step in; in the form of a suspension. I'd imagine the league stepping in from a one sided position of Jonnie not asking for help would open themselves up to all kind of HIPPA violations. Honestly don't see a reason for the league to help unless or until he asks for it.

They don't have a reason outside of PR, really. But it'd be good PR they actually need - how often does the league clumsily and reactively approach a situation regarding its players, and then only to punish and not to help? Plus, they'd probably save the guy's life.

Plus...well, he seems like someone who needs an environment with consistency, stability, and a measure of placidity. So he goes to the Browns instead. One could argue the league bears some responsibility. :D