Sports quotes you hate

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Running down hill." What does this even mean? For a long time I thought it meant running towards the sidelines back when a lot of fields had a crown where the center of the field was higher sloping down to the sidelines. If you are a runner, you know that you can lean down hill when running and significantly increase your speed.

"He caught the ball at it's highest point." Isn't the ball's highest point about half way from where the QB threw to it to where the WR catches it?

Edited by reddogblitz

Not exactly. 100% would be effort without damaging one self; sometimes people go above 100% and do it by sacrificing something - damage to body, etc. like when someone lifts something very heavy.

By that definition....football cannot exist.

They aren't the better team, they were just better than us today.

We beat ourselves.

Score the basketball

gota say I'v never heard that, but I don't watch basketball.

"Running down hill." What does this even mean? For a long time I thought it meant running towards the sidelines back when a lot of fields had a crown where the center of the field was higher sloping down to the sidelines. If you are a runner, you know that you can lean down hill when running and significantly increase your speed.

"He caught the ball at it's highest point." Isn't the ball's highest point about half way from where the QB threw to it to where the WR catches it?

just means that if you were actually running down you would be really hard to stop. So if you see a back running north and south and running dudes over he's running down hill.

By that definition....football cannot exist.

you guys need to give it a rest

When the announcer says:

"And now for the all important . . ." [extra point attempt, replay review, third down play in the first quarter, 3-2 pitch in the third inning - - you name it - - no matter how trivial it actually is the announcer says it's "all important"]

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I hate it when a reporter, instead of asking a question says:

"Talk about....."

Me to - or "talk about..." or "talk to..." are just incredibly lazy journalism. If you have a question - ask it. If you don't.... then use your brain and think of one.

"Team x with...unanswered points," when the other team hasn't even had the opportunity to answer yet.

I've posted before that this is my biggest peeve in sports broadcasting. The idiots say it even AFTER a team has responded.

Example:

"It's 31-17 here in Foxboro, where the Jets took an early 10-0 lead before the Pats*** scored 21 unanswered points."

I don't understand what is wrong with saying "consecutive" or "straight" to describe runs by one team or the other.

I've posted before that this is my biggest peeve in sports broadcasting. The idiots say it even AFTER a team has responded.

Yep that annoys me too. "They scored 21 unanswered points to start this game but now trail 24-21"....... well that sounds like the other team have answered pretty well - no?