Dennis Thurman should never, ever be allowed to speak

Beerball

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the rationale behind wanting to fire Thurman. I mean, someone needs to be the scapegoat and it obviously won't be Rex. My question to those people banging the table for Thurman to go is who do we replace him with? At the end of the day, we are going to run Rex's scheme so the person we bring in has to be on board with that. Do we promote someone already on the staff? Guys like Pettine or Pagano don't seem realistic. So what's the solution?

Well, does Ray Lewis or Jimmy Leonard want to coach? I mean, if Jimmy Leonard was playing in NY when he could hardly walk because he was the only one who "got it" and could get everyone lined up, he ought to be able to diagnose and call plays.

Regardless of the disappointment, I don't think getting rid of a coach after one season makes any sense. Next season is another story altogether. The heat is on.

Corner Blitz, in general I agree with you. But that interview was very disturbing.

"when they’re with me, everybody’s on board and everybody’s doing what we’re asking them to do"

OK....then how come it isn't working?

"We just haven’t made the plays in certain situations that we’re capable of making and that’s been really our biggest downfall. But other than that, I’m happy with them. Their performance for the most part has been above board. We just haven’t made the plays at crucial times when we needed to."

Or as the saying goes "But other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, How did you like the play?"

Edited by Hopeful

Well, does Ray Lewis or Jimmy Leonard want to coach? I mean, if Jimmy Leonard was playing in NY when he could hardly walk because he was the only one who "got it" and could get everyone lined up, he ought to be able to diagnose and call plays.

Corner Blitz, in general I agree with you. But that interview was very disturbing.

"when they’re with me, everybody’s on board and everybody’s doing what we’re asking them to do"

OK....then how come it isn't working?

"We just haven’t made the plays in certain situations that we’re capable of making and that’s been really our biggest downfall. But other than that, I’m happy with them. Their performance for the most part has been above board. We just haven’t made the plays at crucial times when we needed to."

Or as the saying goes "But other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, How did you like the play?

You really take this interview at face value? I don't. Thurman knows very well that the defense underperformed far too many times this season. Like I said, he's being his normally difficult, grumpy self when it comes to dealing with the media.

just read the interview, guy is clearly clueless, I really enjoyed this gem;

"Im happy with them. Their performance for the most part has been above board."

I think he must mean that they didn't cheat. The bar is being set very low, it seems.

I was wondering if someone would react to that article. Yeah, not the most articulate guy, but to be fair, he stated earlier in the interview that he did not read the papers, especially the local papers. So the whole sequence is:I kind of felt Ty Dunne could have handled it better, for example, saying "In an interview, Preston Brown said calls were coming in late from the booth. Who is the coach in the booth who sends in calls?" would have kept Thurman from having the obstructionist "out" of "I don't know what you're talking about"

finally someone tries to put the quotes in context. Thanks.

You really take this interview at face value? I don't. Thurman knows very well that the defense underperformed far too many times this season. Like I said, he's being his normally difficult, grumpy self when it comes to dealing with the media.

that's why I like to watch his interviews, you can tell he has a real dislike for the media.

I'm not defending him. I'm putting his words back into the context he intended.

I'm not justifying anything he said. I'm not praising any of it either. I'm clar--you know what? Forget it. Go ahead and set your pitch forks on fire and let's get this stupid bum out of here. :doh:

On this one I read it like you- essentially him saying "you assume I know what Preston was referring to but I don't know what he's talking about, you'll have to ask him." Which sounds like he's saying that Preston is either misinterpreting what's going on or is poorly communicating it, in thurmans opinion. Not that he's clueless to all things defensive

"The minute you start listening to the fans, you'll be sitting next to them" - Marv Levy.

I personally love Thurman's FU to the media - especially the local "media" that have to justify their existence by continually tyring to divide the team that puts money in their pocket.

On this one I read it like you- essentially him saying "you assume I know what Preston was referring to but I don't know what he's talking about, you'll have to ask him." Which sounds like he's saying that Preston is either misinterpreting what's going on or is poorly communicating it, in thurmans opinion. Not that he's clueless to all things defensive

It's unlikely that Dennis Thurman has ACTUALLY managed to miss the news that there has been criticism of the relaying in of signals.

He was clearly just being stand-offish.

Which, frankly, he has no right to be.

Talk to the media or don't......but they have a responsibility to ask him why his defense has struggled.

Regardless.......Thurman isn't some proven stud DC.......people forget that he has not had the success running Rex D in NY and Buffalo that Mike Pettine had when he was with the Jets..........basically one way or the other the fault for this D is on Rex.

IMO he's Rex version of Curtis Modkins.

Edited by #BADOL

Well, first off, if Thurman does aspire to a HC position, he can't afford to have a difficult, grumpy persona when dealing with the media.

I get it that the guy is messing with the media: "I don't read the papers, especially the local papers" is a sure fire tell. I take your point that when a guy is messing with the media, it's reasonable to ask if there's any "meat" in there with the "chaff" to be taken seriously. I don't know if it's intentional irony or unintentional, but the juxtaposition of "everyone is doing what we're asking them to do" with "we just haven't made the plays we're capable of making" is pretty stark.

Rex disagrees with you...

. "I think all through this process you’re seeing coaches get opportunities to be a head coach. Dennis Thurman will be at the top of the list in a very short time."

:lol:

You have to admit...Rex is a funny, funny dude... B-)

I want to contribute to this thread in a meaningful way. I found something many of you will find useful: link

nice!

Right, but it's also what he's referring to throughout this entire exchange:

Q: Who is the coach in the booth that Preston Brown said was getting the calls in late?

Thurman: "I have no idea what he’s talking about. See again, you guys assume I know what’s going on. I have no idea."

Q: Why wouldn’t you know what’s going on with your defense?

Thurman: "I don’t know what you’re talking about is what I’m saying to you."

what he doesn't know about is the media coverage

agree with this but along with a rather horrible interview it is even worse for the interviewee.

A bit morbid, don't you think? Let's compromise. How's this?

haha. Beerball tries. But you win.

Eh. Just because he is a bad inteeviewee, doesn't mean much.

I am sure he knows who is calling in the plays, and probably didn't want to throw the guy under the bus.

a solid take but I've never heard of an assistant calling plays. Always the coordinator or head coach

I was wondering if someone would react to that article. Yeah, not the most articulate guy, but to be fair, he stated earlier in the interview that he did not read the papers, especially the local papers. So the whole sequence is:I kind of felt Ty Dunne could have handled it better, for example, saying "In an interview, Preston Brown said calls were coming in late from the booth. Who is the coach in the booth who sends in calls?" would have kept Thurman from having the obstructionist "out" of "I don't know what you're talking about"

Thurman does himself no favors with public opinion. I'd like to see more in depth interviews with him and hope the pegula's and Whaley have had much more in depth moments in their conversations

Regardless of the disappointment, I don't think getting rid of a coach after one season makes any sense. Next season is another story altogether. The heat is on.

Are you referring to RR or Dennis Thurman ?

I would rather see Thurman get the axe and see the results next season. It is evident that the blame deflection game is on in full swing. Last year Idzik was Ryan's scapegoat. This year, Mario and Thurman. Who will it be next season ?

I understand that he was referring to the Preston Brown comments, not the actual play calls, but still...

That is a horrible interview. The guy doesn't seem to care. He just points back to Preston and doesn't offer any sort of explanation. I guess he'll be the fall guy.

"The minute you start listening to the fans, you'll be sitting next to them" - Marv Levy.

Great sound bite isnt it ? What has the FO done in the past decade to show they are smarter ? As a group, consensus on this board has been more right than wrong regarding many of the FO moves. In my mind, this quote has lost much of its wisdom due to the team's track record.