Dennis Thurman should never, ever be allowed to speak

Beerball

This gets repeated here a lot. The only example is Cleveland. But I don't see any really good (not like Pettine was) HC prospect/candidate seeing Buffalo as anything like the Browns. Their roster sucks, their owner sucks, their new GM will suck.

I think these guys will look at the Rex hire as what it was, a mistake, and they would jump at the chance to correct that error for the Pegulas.

I have always believed coach candidates look hard at quick fires. I am not so sure our roster looks all that great after the offseason. An aging Kyle Williams, Mario gone (stunk this year anyways), no bonified number 2 receiver (Harvin needs to hang up his cleats). Will Incognito be back? What about Glenn? Leodis has lost a step and doesnt hit yet some want him at safety? We also really need a quality number 2 QB. These are some tidbits off the top of my head. Not that your points and opinions arent worthy, I just dont agree.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want, knowing Rex will be back...

He needs an assistant HC. The assistant HC must be detail oriented and he must have a strong feeling for game day/in game activities. Rex gets all wrapped up in himself and he isn't a HC on Sunday. The AHC must be the disciplinarian because Rex doesn't have the stomach for such things. The AHC must be given the leeway to impose discipline on players and he must get 100% backing from Rex. The AHC must be allowed to manage the games. As others have pointed out in many threads when you see Rex on the sidelines he's got his play sheet and he's making the defensive calls. Let him do that. Let the AHC manage timeouts, challenges, getting plays into the huddle on time. Ideally the AHC will have a strong offensive background. Let Rex do what he does, but force him to hire someone to watch his back.

I like your thoughts here, Beerball. This would help "Wrecks" immensely. Of coarse this might create a feeling of paranoia for the coach being that his probable replacement is nearby..., but I like your ideas and I think they would help the Bills.

Edited by TAinLA

Given the drop off you choose continuity?

I believe stability is the chosen word.

Are you referring to RR or Dennis Thurman ?

I would rather see Thurman get the axe and see the results next season. It is evident that the blame deflection game is on in full swing. Last year Idzik was Ryan's scapegoat. This year, Mario and Thurman. Who will it be next season ?

nice :thumbsup:

This sounds like something from the Three Stooges.

Dennis Thurman should make a point of reading news coverage in the offseason, followed by practicing how to do an interview, and learning how not to destroy amazing defenses.

I have zero idea how much of the responsibility is his for the dismantling of our once formidable defense, but he needs to go.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

Rex definitely strikes me as a guy who believes in loyalty to his staff. And he definitely comes off as a 'mentor' to Thurman. What happens with Thurman when the season ends will be one of the most interesting developments.

You have to wonder if there were discussions of conditions with Pegula prior to the announcement that Rex was coming back. You would have to think "something has to change with the management of the defense" would be a key topic. Whether you believe Thurman is just a pawn (and Rex is really running the D show) or Thurman actually is running the D - getting rid of Thurman makes sense in both cases. If he really is running the D he sucks at it, if Rex is running the D I say to him if you stay you need to hire a real D coordinator, let him run the defense an put more energy and focus into the responsibilities of HC ( because you've sucked at that)

Why are these the only two options? When a HC is involved in one side of the ball the HC usually sets gameplans and the playbook while the coordinator teaches and installs it. Gameday management can vary.

CAn't slpit the HC job. Where is what you are describing done? If he needs all that help then he's not the HC in any way.

Let him run the ship completely for another year. Maybe Kim and Terry will wake up and realize they jumped too soon--that they were Rex's career lifeline, not the other way around.

i'm older than you & I'm not so patient. We own Rez so I want to make it possible for the team to succeed. Assistant HC is not a novel approach.

I believe stability is the chosen word.

it is already an unstable situation.

What I want, knowing Rex will be back...

He needs an assistant HC. The assistant HC must be detail oriented and he must have a strong feeling for game day/in game activities. Rex gets all wrapped up in himself and he isn't a HC on Sunday. The AHC must be the disciplinarian because Rex doesn't have the stomach for such things. The AHC must be given the leeway to impose discipline on players and he must get 100% backing from Rex. The AHC must be allowed to manage the games. As others have pointed out in many threads when you see Rex on the sidelines he's got his play sheet and he's making the defensive calls. Let him do that. Let the AHC manage timeouts, challenges, getting plays into the huddle on time. Ideally the AHC will have a strong offensive background. Let Rex do what he does, but force him to hire someone to watch his back.

I agree he needs an Assistant HC that is detail oriented. Rex loses himself in the moment during games, and that's not the kind of clinical, dispassionate, and strategic mindset needed to manage the game which can keep the odds in your favor. There are lots of AHCs in The League. What we have here is what we had with Chan. A HC with a dufflebag marionette for a Coordinator. Curtis Modkins wasn't the OC. Chan was the OC, and he paid the price for filling both roles. Rex is doing the same thing - albeit on the opposite side of the ball. He needs a strong DC who can run his system, and a AHC to keep his eye on how the game is being managed.

Are you referring to RR or Dennis Thurman ?

I would rather see Thurman get the axe and see the results next season. It is evident that the blame deflection game is on in full swing. Last year Idzik was Ryan's scapegoat. This year, Mario and Thurman. Who will it be next season ?

Idzik was terrible. Look how much roster turnover there was this year. His big picks are either fourth string our cut.

Idzik was terrible. Look how much roster turnover there was this year. His big picks are either fourth string our cut.

Idzik was a disaster for that franchise, and perhaps for ours too because Rex wouldn't have been available if their personnel moves weren't so squirrelly.

If Pettine gets the ax in Cleveland, hopefully he will be brought back here as DC. IMO, he would be a much better choice than Rob Ryan.

One sure way to krap on the fanbase. And kill Brandons precious ST sales would be to hire the loser

Known as Rob Ryan. Making this a family affair would be a huge mistake. Doubling down on clowns is

A bad idea. Pettine willl never work for ryan it is why he left NY. A wild guess is that Thurman stays, which is good.

Then maybe after another horrid season Pegula gets the broom out.

Dick Jauron: "It's hard to win in the NFL"

Chan Gailey: "If I knew what the problem was I'd fix it. I don't know what the problem is."

Dennis Thurman: "You guys assume I know what's going on. I have no idea."

Who is the winner?

It is hard to win anywhere there are highly skilled people opposing you. Duh...

Gailey... the problem is on the side of the ball you have no idea about. Your offense is high powered with scrubs. The defense is a train wreck.

Thurman... you are the problem. Your men singlehandedly lost more games than anyone else on the team. Now you have lost us Mario, Dareus is obsolete. And invisible again. Bradham and Brown are nothing more than good depth now. And worst of all. No one knows what the hell they are doing. Week 17 thats a huge problem for me

We have a winner people. Its Thurman by a country mile

just read the interview, guy is clearly clueless, I really enjoyed this gem;

"Im happy with them. Their performance for the most part has been above board." really? ugh!

who?

Watch the Chapelle show

Right, but it's also what he's referring to throughout this entire exchange:

Q: Who is the coach in the booth that Preston Brown said was getting the calls in late?

Thurman: "I have no idea what hes talking about. See again, you guys assume I know whats going on. I have no idea."

Q: Why wouldnt you know whats going on with your defense?

Thurman: "I dont know what youre talking about is what Im saying to you."

what he doesn't know about is the media coverage

Ok so when he says he doesnt know who is calling in plays.... hmmm. Some rogue dude from Genessee street just goes sits grabs a beer and just calls in random things? You seriously dont know who the guy is who is calling down YOUR plays? Never seen him or met him. Never had meetings to discuss the game plan. Never met the guy in your life. You dont need to talk to Preston. Neme the dumb head who calls plays in early late on time. We... want... a... NAME. Its not that hard

He must have been trapped and not able to get away from the questions. So he didn't answer anything. If Wrecks wanted Thurman talking to the media, he would have been talking to the media, so he was doing what his boss wanted. Just a big F U to the newspaper that's giving Wrecks a hard time.

Ok so when he says he doesnt know who is calling in plays.... hmmm. Some rogue dude from Genessee street just goes sits grabs a beer and just calls in random things? You seriously dont know who the guy is who is calling down YOUR plays? Never seen him or met him. Never had meetings to discuss the game plan. Never met the guy in your life. You dont need to talk to Preston. Neme the dumb head who calls plays in early late on time. We... want... a... NAME. Its not that hard

You don't follow.

Hoodie has earned the right to treat the media with disdain. Dennis Thurman is no hoodie.

The thing is, while it's clear Hoodie talks to the media only because the NFL requires it and he has no love for them, I wouldn't say he treats them with disdain in the same style Thurman showed, saying "I don't read the papers, especially the local papers". (that's probably true for the Hoodie, but he wouldn't say it). He won't give the media anything, but his response would be something like "We lost. We need to do better" Asked about a specific player or coach he would be "The team needs to do better. That's something we'll address as a team" He won't be defensive, or offensive, just uninformative. Thurman scored a trifecta, being offensive, defensive, and uninformative in the same press conference.

Hoodie also won't let the players give them anything, so the whole set of questions Thurman was facing wouldn't be asked - Brown would have been on a bus out of town for it. The more I see of the Drama Llama Farm cultivated by unmuzzled players, the more I incline to the notion of "Muzzles for 53 Plus Coaches"