AP Report: Bills Will Release Mario After the Season

26CornerBlitz

But we need a scape goat now. NOW!!!! You don't need $7M to bring in garbage players to make Rex look like he is overachieving.

B I N G O

I'm sure they will wait to maximize the savings given how many of their own guys they want to retain.

I can only hope, and maybe in that time some sense is forced in to OBD. That we can retain Mario, ditch Rex and move forward with salvaging what talent is on this team.

I cut the cord now and save the space for 2017 for a simple reason: they don't have to pay a qb this upcoming year, and they will next. I expect that he has March roster bonuses in any case - any decent agent would insist on that.

I cut the cord on Rex.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefit of 15-20 sacks doesn't come close to outweighing the drawback of keeping a player who had no problem quitting on his teammates, coaches, and fans.

The "why" he quit is simply not relevant.

It will be interesting to see how other teams approach him.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe he didn't quit. Maybe he got winded from covering AJ Green and Odell Beckham and it just looked like he quit.

Lots of teams do this sort of stuff -- look no farther than NE, which does it ALL of the time. As for sympathy for the "victim" here, I have a hunch that players on the team aren't going to be speaking too highly of Mr. Williams to prospective FAs.

Provide examples of the Patriots organization leaking to the media that a player was going to be cut at the end of the season.

Maybe Mario's attitude was more detrimental to the locker room than any of us know? Maybe there is plenty that has gone on behind the scenes to warrant this? Maybe he told someone within the organization he wanted out? Just speculating and no one knows for certain just yet, but I hate to see one of our better players on defense sent packing.

Carmelo Anthony is a great player too...how's that working out for the Knicks? Lots of playoff appearances and championships for that max contract, right? But he puts up his 25-30 points a game, that's all he cares about...

I have a feeling Mario is the same way...he cares about his stats more than he does winning.

Edited by matter2003

Maybe...or maybe he is just a "me first guy" who has never been on a team that has won anything of significance, and perhaps he was one of the reasons why.

Our defense was phenomenal last season, especially down the stretch, and certainly capable of winning. Mario Williams was not hurting the team in anyway last season. If we had a shred of offense we would have been a playoff team.

I'm sure they will wait to maximize the savings given how many of their own guys they want to retain.

I wonder. There is something to be said for removing the cancer asap. That may be worth more than some cap space, which can be found in other ways.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder. There is something to be said for removing the cancer asap. That may be worth more than some cap space, which can be found in other ways.

GO BILLS!!!

It's not as if he'll be around the facility at OBD after this weekend. They will do what they deem as the most prudent based on what internal priorities they have set.

He's going to have a monster year next year.

That doesn't mean I don't think this isn't the right decision. In fact, it's as good as evidence as there is to show that he basically quit on the team this year. And that doesn't even begin to get into his effect on the locker room.

That said, people should start preparing for a 15 sack season from him.

B I N G O

I can only hope, and maybe in that time some sense is forced in to OBD. That we can retain Mario, ditch Rex and move forward with salvaging what talent is on this team.

I cut the cord on Rex.

You know what they say...Hope in one hand and :censored: in the other...See which fills up the fastest.

They'll probably try to get him on their team as soon as possible so that any competent coach can get him to get to the quarterback.

Mario had no insubordination with previous coaches. Rex comes in and it's a nightmare and you guys are pointing fingers at Mario Williams. Laughable.

Rex leaves a lot to be desired as a coach.

Mario is a quitter.

I find your acceptance of that laughable.

GO BILLS!!!

Provide examples of "every other major sports team" leaking to the media that a player was going to be cut at the end of the season.

How about New England almost every season? Albert Haynesworth, a comparable player to Mario at this point, was cut midseason. The whole Milloy thing went down poorly, and tons of other good and formerly good players left the team disgruntled (Seymour, Law, etc.).

He's going to have a monster year next year.

That doesn't mean I don't think this isn't the right decision. In fact, it's as good as evidence as there is to show that he basically quit on the team this year. And that doesn't even begin to get into his effect on the locker room.

That said, people should start preparing for a 15 sack season from him.

Lol. If he does well next year it proves this year was his fault? Rex can't lose. How does that guy not have 10 Lombardis?

If he goes somewhere and gets 15-20 sacks next year I'm gonna be pissed.

You'll be fine. Mario is simply playing it out at this point in his career.

And didn't boyst post something about JW being "restricted" by AP from reporting on unnamed sources...only directly players/agents/coaches/FO?

It's not as if he'll be around the facility at OBD after this weekend. They will do what they deem as the most prudent based on what internal priorities they have set.

Agreed.

I was just suggesting that other priorities may drive the issue. If he has a roster bonus due on 3/1, he may be released before then, for instance. Or his agent may demand an earlier cut to maximize his free agency. Regardless, can't see him staying until 6/1, as has been suggested.

GO BILLS!!!

Carolina desperately needs a pass rush.

Yeah, it's all Rex that made Mario ineffective.

Look at this effort, relentless.

Here's a link, embedded didn't work.

https://vine.co/v/iqjQhj0AhDA/embed

excellent, amateur football hour has begun.

i absolutely love how he is lambasted over this.

why is bradham being pwnd by a wr?????

what is the scheme responsibility of mario on this play? he was doing what he was supposed to be doing than sucked actually making the play. this play does not at all exhibit mario taking a play off this shows mario making a bad play.

there are many other plays you can show which exhibit mario not giving a great amount of effort but he has been the scapegoat of this team and rex ryan.

!@#$ rex ryan, his blowhard ass is going to get us no where fast.

Just a !@#$ing joke. The fact that Rex couldn't figure out how to utilize someone like Mario Williams and we are now getting rid of him.....

We are all in on Rex

The joke is the way Mario quit on his team this year, his whining like a baby. No room for a $20m per year malcontent on any team. I am really disappointed in his performance this year. Blaming it all on the coach is flat out wrong - childish by the player, and extraordinarily naive on the part of fans.

The ironic thing is that despite what many seem to be implying here, Rex has defended and championed Mario in every public setting in which he has spoken about him. It's a key reason why players like him -- he always takes the hit for them, even when they do something egregiously wrong, like Mario freelancing and letting Brady throw a TD late in the first half in what ended up being a one-score game.

When he blew up the pitch play by wrapping up the RB?

As you know, the better example (and there are many) is the complete lack of effort on Cousins' seven-step drop at the opening of the second half.

The joke is the way Mario quit on his team this year, his whining like a baby. No room for a $20m per year malcontent on any team. I am really disappointed in his performance this year. Blaming it all on the coach is flat out wrong - childish by the player, and extraordinarily naive on the part of fans.

Exactly right. You don't see Jerry Hughes doing anything less than giving 100% effort out there and carrying out whatever assignment is his under the scheme. A stark contrast in professionalism or lack thereof. CYA Mario and good riddance.

How about New England almost every season? Albert Haynesworth, a comparable player to Mario at this point, was cut midseason. The whole Milloy thing went down poorly, and tons of other good and formerly good players left the team disgruntled (Seymour, Law, etc.).

You're having trouble understanding what I'm saying for some reason.

It's not cutting Mario that is amateur hour, it's leaking in the media that he's going to be cut at the end of the season that's amateur hour.

The ironic thing is that despite what many seem to be implying here, Rex has defended and championed Mario in every public setting in which he has spoken about him. It's a key reason why players like him -- he always takes the hit for them, even when they do something egregiously wrong, like Mario freelancing and letting Brady throw a TD late in the first half in what ended up being a one-score game.

As you know, the better example (and there are many) is the complete lack of effort on Cousins' seven-step drop at the opening of the second half.

such naivety. rex ryan will say anything to the public in order to look good.

he's full of ****.

go watch the video of him walking around practice, catching a glimpse of the camera in the corner of his eye without making it obvious then clearly and obviously going straight to mario to chat.

he's all schtick and ****. get his ass out of here.

Go watch him on the Kirk Cousins TD run. That was brutal.

Whatever. He has played well enough in his career to get drafted #1 overall, be the most sought after FA once his contract was up, rack up great year after great year....

Subsequently he got lost in the string theory defense that took us from #4 to 20-something, also made Dareus and others look like crap and had produced similar poor results for the past several years in NY. But by all means let's vine a few bad plays and cross our fingers for 2016 with Rex. LOL.

I'm a Bills fan and want them to win. The GOOD news is that they are in Buffalo for good. That really does trump everything. It is just disappointing to know that the next 2 years are going to be crap, we will lose more good players and blame their attitude in 2016 and 17, Whaley will probably have to go down in Rex's tire fire, and we'll start over. I am honestly optimistic that 2018 can be the start of some great things and I look forward to it. I also think Rex will do a great job on CBS or Fox.

It's not cutting Mario that is amateur hour, it's leaking in the media that he's going to be cut at the end of the season that's amateur hour.

You're right that they do have a leak problem. Maybe leak is the wrong word, because the reports aren't always accurate (like the Whaley one a few weeks ago). There are folks within OBD with agendas who aren't afraid to use the media to politic for themselves. It's bad.

You don't think teams do this all of the time? Denver and Jake Plummer? Shanahan and RG III? Tennessee and Vince Young? When players are regarded as selfish, malingering malcontents in the ultimate team sport, the organizational knives come out pretty much everywhere. The other players and coaches see the malingering, trust me. In fact, I bet every TE in the league got stoked in the latter half of this season knowing they Williams on the blocking schedule next.

This same thing happened in Houston, lest we forget. In Houston, he was upset and the organization roasted him. They said he was done and lazy.

Is it coincidence? Probably not, but the guy adds more to a team than Rex Ryan can. Yes, can. Rex is done. Mario is not.

You're right that they do have a leak problem. Maybe leak is the wrong word, because the reports aren't always accurate (like the Whaley one a few weeks ago). There are folks within OBD with agendas who aren't afraid to use the media to politic for themselves. It's bad.

It's different when guys like LaCanfora report it, though I would bet that was also the Rex Ryan camp putting out that bit of words.

I have too strong of a premonition and will talk to some people about Rex but my understanding is that he is full of double talk. He'll say one thing in front of a camera than the lights are off and he'll completely change his tune or have no idea how to support the **** he said.

That this is coming from JW means it is solid and 100%.